2023 NFL Draft Talk

lumberjackchris

On 11/1/2022 at 6:26 PM, ET80 said:

Unless there is a better option at a position of need - specifically, pass rusher. You don’t draft Blake Bortles at 1.1 just because you need a QB, especially if you can draft Von Miller. Even if you end up with Jadevion Clowney, it’s better than Bortles.

Nobody in this class really fits the bill of a guy you’d pick at 1.1, all have flaws that should drop them outside of the top 3: Young has size issues, Levis is very raw with his technique (reminds me of Bortles) Stroud doesn’t have any sort of special attributes you’d require at 1.1, Hooker is going to be 26 next season and everyone else hasn’t done a thing to warrant top 25 discussions, let alone 1.1 talk. Levis will absolutely warrant discussion in that spot after the season, simply because he’s going to look fantastic at the combine and pro days/private workouts. Hooker is probably the best of the group, Young is probably the most explosive of the group in terms of arm talent and Stroud is very low on upside but high on immediate readiness - he’ll never be a top 10 QB but will never be lower than a top 15 QB.

This is a year where the best opportunity for a QB sits in the 8-15 range - which works out well for us, given we’ll have a pick in that range to use for a QB, courtesy of Cleveland. Picking BPA at the higher of the two picks and then selecting a QB with that Cleveland pick (even if it means using additional assets in later rounds or next year) is the best scenario - you get your next QB along with an instant playmaker to go with it. That’s what I would like to see…

…but I’m pretty sure we’ll see Stroud/Young and BPA come draft day. Which isn’t BAD, but not the best; It’s hitting a solid double with two men on that drives in a run… as opposed to a 3R HR into the upper deck that Anderson/QB would be.

100% agree

• Like 1

I actually think it's going to be Mills again in 2023. I think he'll likely finish the season much better than he started it, and I think he's already showing symptoms of being a quality starting QB. I don't think it's fair to compare him to guys like Allen or Mahomes because he simply doesn't have very good pass catchers (also, yea, he's obviously just not as good as those guys). I see us taking a QB in the middle rounds, kind of like we did with Mills, and starting to develop him behind Mills (or possibly replacing Mills if he regresses or something). Really, when I look at this team there are so many needs, and sure maybe QB is one of them, but we've invested a lot of time and energy into Mills, and he seems like he's got a good head on his shoulders, like I don't think he's getting discouraged by how badly the team is playing, I think he's still confident in his game. That kind of mental fortitude is rare I feel like. I just don't think we can accurately assess Mills until he's got a reasonable supporting cast. I think we should surround him with weapons, and then if he's still not take the steps we're looking for, then we go get the QB (and that QB will have weapons).

5 hours ago, PAtexansFAN_99 said:

I actually think it's going to be Mills again in 2023. I think he'll likely finish the season much better than he started it, and I think he's already showing symptoms of being a quality starting QB. I don't think it's fair to compare him to guys like Allen or Mahomes because he simply doesn't have very good pass catchers (also, yea, he's obviously just not as good as those guys). I see us taking a QB in the middle rounds, kind of like we did with Mills, and starting to develop him behind Mills (or possibly replacing Mills if he regresses or something). Really, when I look at this team there are so many needs, and sure maybe QB is one of them, but we've invested a lot of time and energy into Mills, and he seems like he's got a good head on his shoulders, like I don't think he's getting discouraged by how badly the team is playing, I think he's still confident in his game. That kind of mental fortitude is rare I feel like. I just don't think we can accurately assess Mills until he's got a reasonable supporting cast. I think we should surround him with weapons, and then if he's still not take the steps we're looking for, then we go get the QB (and that QB will have weapons).

No No No GIF

Yeah, count me out on this. I’ve seen enough.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PAtexansFAN_99 said:

Season 6 What GIF by The Office

Count me out on this one. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, lumberjackchris said:

I think PA might be right. Caserio doesn’t come off as a guy who will reach for a QB just for the sake of if

I also don’t think he’s watching Davis Mills and thinking another year is what he needs. He’s a low value player, you’re not paying him big money and you didn’t draft him high; I mean, look at how quickly the guy drafted ahead of him was let go - Kellen Mond was supposed to be a guy who allowed the Vikings to save some $30mm on the cap by cutting Cousins - instead, he’s not on an active roster anymore. Guys in that tier are widely disposable, and Mills is in this tier.

There are going to be vet QBs who hit the market this offseason (Daniel Jones, Ryan Tannehill, Marcus Mariota, Carson Wentz, Jimmy Garropolo, Baker Mayfield, Teddy Bridgewater, Gardner Minshew) who all have proven to be better than Davis Mills at some point in their careers. (At the very least, they never looked this BAD, even with supporting casts that weren’t good). If Caserio isn’t reaching for a QB via draft, he’s absolutely making this an open competition between Mills and someone else (and there’s a really good chance Mills is the #2 in the competition going into Training Camp). Let’s be very real here; If Kyle Allen or Jeff Driskel were to start Thursday, none of us would really mind (most would think our chances might improve a bit). That’s not the way you need to feel about a starting QB.

Bluntly - Davis Mills got his shot and he failed. He can make the occasion good throw and look good for a drive or two, but that’s not good enough to be a starting QB. Playing QB in the league requires consistency, and Mills has been the picture of inconsistency in his career to this point. Tough luck, that’s how fast this league can race by like that - you either shoot your shot or grab a clipboard, and Mills should be grabbing a clipboard.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I also don’t think he’s watching Davis Mills and thinking another year is what he needs. He’s a low value player, you’re not paying him big money and you didn’t draft him high; I mean, look at how quickly the guy drafted ahead of him was let go - Kellen Mond was supposed to be a guy who allowed the Vikings to save some $30mm on the cap by cutting Cousins - instead, he’s not on an active roster anymore. Guys in that tier are widely disposable, and Mills is in this tier.

There are going to be vet QBs who hit the market this offseason (Daniel Jones, Ryan Tannehill, Marcus Mariota, Carson Wentz, Jimmy Garropolo, Baker Mayfield, Teddy Bridgewater, Gardner Minshew) who all have proven to be better than Davis Mills at some point in their careers. (At the very least, they never looked this BAD, even with supporting casts that weren’t good). If Caserio isn’t reaching for a QB via draft, he’s absolutely making this an open competition between Mills and someone else (and there’s a really good chance Mills is the #2 in the competition going into Training Camp). Let’s be very real here; If Kyle Allen or Jeff Driskel were to start Thursday, none of us would really mind (most would think our chances might improve a bit). That’s not the way you need to feel about a starting QB.

Bluntly - Davis Mills got his shot and he failed. He can make the occasion good throw and look good for a drive or two, but that’s not good enough to be a starting QB. Playing QB in the league requires consistency, and Mills has been the picture of inconsistency in his career to this point. Tough luck, that’s how fast this league can race by like that - you either shoot your shot or grab a clipboard, and Mills should be grabbing a clipboard.

I'd even go as far as saying if they weren't tanking, Kyle Allen would be starting. He is the better option.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I am 100% all in on going QB and WR with our 2 1st round picks, assuming one is available that is worth the pick. 

several teams have made jumps by taking care of these two positions.  Cooks ain’t it, Nico is a disappointment and Metchie is a big question mark. 

I wouldn't call Nico a disappointment, but he's definitely not THE guy. Either an alpha WR or a youngish proven vet WR (Jakobi Meyers) would be good. 

If WR is a first round consideration, I'm desperately wanting Jaxon Smith-Njigba.

• Like 1

We pretty much know what we have in mills, pep and Lovie so here’s a bold prediction 

if Lovie returns then we go all defense in the draft And mills gets another year. Makes sense in that if we suck hard again we will fire Lovie and the next guy can draft a QB. 

has a city ever won a championship in the same year that two other teams finished dead last in their sports?

• Like 1

It's silly to pretend that a quarterback could magically win with this bunch of backups at the skill positions. Look at Brady his last year in New England. Now, before you.. wait, no, that's not what I was.. MILLS ISN'T BRADY. IT'S NOT EVEN CLOSE. My point is, even Brady needs good pass catchers to be truly competitive. 

Also, I'm just gonna say it, I think Mills is really good. I really like him, I think he was a great pick and that that's how history will remember it. I think he develops into one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL. I think he's already showing signs. It's not very consistent, but nothing about this team is consistent. That back shoulder throw to Dorsett with Bradberry on him, I mean come on man. He gets it. Even that one throw to Burkhead in the endzone where he buys some time and puts the ball away from  the defender where only Burkhead might've been able to get it (imagine if that was somebody better than Burkhead), and he almost (probably should've, the officials seem to screw us over all the time, it's been like this for years) drew the P.I.

I love Mills, and I'm really excited that we have him, and we've got him on a rookie deal so we'll have money to spend surrounding him with legit top shelf players for the first time in god knows how many years (sure we've still got Tunsil, but that's about it). 

Also, like, do you think a rookie QB is just  going to magically be amazing throwing to Chris Moore and Philip Dorsett? A rookie QB means we're probably going backwards before we go forwards. Mills, in my mind, is playing the best football of his career right now, and  I expect him to just keep getting better. I actually really like Pep as a play-caller. Again,  I just think we need some serious biznis on the boundaries, and probably 1 or 2 more RBs, and we'll be cookin on offense. 

I'm looking at Quentin Johnston, this guy looks like what the doctor ordered to me.