2023 NFL Draft Talk

lumberjackchris

So, I'm not sure if DJ Uialeguiei is getting back to his hype level from back when he caddied for Trevor Lawrence, or the Clemson system makes him look better than he actually his. Just watched him drop a penny from heaven to a WR who promptly dropped it in the end zone - so I can safely say it's not his receivers making him look good.

Meanwhile, Phil Jurkovic is somebody nobody is talking about. Why?

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

Meanwhile, Phil Jurkovic is somebody nobody is talking about. Why?

He works the pocket well, evades the rush and keeps his eyes downfield, making good reads and throws. He's accurate on medium to long passes, aggressive when he has his look. Much like DJ, he had a beautiful pass dropped by his guy.

What's missing? I knew he was viewed as a 2/3 Rd guy, but why isn't he getting talked about more?

If we pick 1, Iโ€™m thinking itโ€™s got to be Stroud unless we just donโ€™t love a QB and then it needs to be Anderson and we go all in on defense.ย 
ย 

as much as Mills has not been the guy this year, I really do think we give up on young QBs way too early in the NFL. Rookies usually get limited games to show what they have and then they are expected to be good their 2nd year to be given a 3rd year. Probably really should take to year 4 to know if they are any good or not.ย 

20 hours ago, ET80 said:

He works the pocket well, evades the rush and keeps his eyes downfield, making good reads and throws. He's accurate on medium to long passes, aggressive when he has his look. Much like DJ, he had a beautiful pass dropped by his guy.

What's missing? I knew he was viewed as a 2/3 Rd guy, but why isn't he getting talked about more?

Most likely because the first round QBs are easier to talk aboutย 

15 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

We are going to need a long term solution at center. I like having Tunsil/Green/Cann/Howard in there long term, but we really need a good center.

like Schmitz from Minnesota with our other 1st round pick

I was on board with Tyler Linderbaum last season so Iโ€™m absolutely on board with drafting a C this year.ย 

Currently, people have Notre Dame C Jarrett Patterson as the best C available - reading his scouting report, he sounds pretty much exactly like our LAST C drafted from Notre Dame, Nick Martin. So, if people feel as if the failures of Martin are due to Bill Oโ€™Brien/Mike Devlin? Patterson is probably an option. If not, wellโ€ฆ I get the trepidation in drafting Patterson that high.

TCUs Steve Avila is a MOUNTAIN of a man - 6โ€™ 4โ€ and 334, just an enormous C with a 2nd round grade. Of all OL positions, C is usually the smallest, so Avila is a bit of a unicorn in that respect; Pairing up a huge body with a physical mauler like Kenyon Green and a bruising contact runner like Dameon Pierce could be the start of a smash mouth philosophy, just drive guys backwards with bad intentions on every snap.

I for oneโ€ฆ like that idea.

So far we currently hold the 6th and 8th pick.ย  I think the Panthers might be worse than us for sure.ย  The other teams ahead of us include the Raiders, Steelers, Lions and Commanders.ย  If we beat the Raiders coming up I see them being worse than us as well.ย  At least we have ammo to jump teams to get a QB should we fall out of pick 4.ย 

19 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

So far we currently hold the 6th and 8th pick.ย  I think the Panthers might be worse than us for sure.ย  The other teams ahead of us include the Raiders, Steelers, Lions and Commanders.ย  If we beat the Raiders coming up I see them being worse than us as well.ย  At least we have ammo to jump teams to get a QB should we fall out of pick 4.ย 

6th and 8th would be nightmarish, losing out on top tier BPA as well as probably forced into a QB we might not like.

I almost feel as if trading down from 6th to get more day 2/3 assets (or an extra 1st on 2024) would be much better than forcing a QB here. 8th should be BPA, then whatever we gain from the trade down should be looked at for a QB (I honestly think a guy like Bryce Young is falling out of the top 15 - while I don't like him as a top 5 selection, I'd be lying if I said I didn't like him from the 12-32 range).

As far as the ACTUAL pick - Kelee Ringo paired with Derek Stingley Jr would set up the secondary for a very long time, but there are a few pass rushers who could really improve the team; Nolan Smith out of Georgia or Myles Murphy from Clemson would be such a value pickup, and would give the front four its alpha to follow. There's also part of me that thinks Trenton Simpson can play this evolving "Joker" position we're seeing on defense, a guy who plays a lot of LB on run downs but can cover in space like a S on passing downs - not quite an off ball LB but not quite a box S, y'know?

He could be a Brian Urlacher/Derrick Brooks type in our defense...

6/8 isnโ€™t not ideal but itโ€™s not awful. Last year the giants had something similar and got Neal and Thibs. We have lots of needs and not addressing QB this year wouldnโ€™t be the worst thing. Would set us up for another bad season but with much more talent on the roster. Then In 2024 our Rookie QB would be set up for even more success with a bette roster around him.ย 
ย 

two 1st round d-linemen this year and then a QB and WR next year wouldnโ€™t be the worstย 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

6/8 isnโ€™t not ideal but itโ€™s not awful. Last year the giants had something similar and got Neal and Thibs. We have lots of needs and not addressing QB this year wouldnโ€™t be the worst thing. Would set us up for another bad season but with much more talent on the roster. Then In 2024 our Rookie QB would be set up for even more success with a bette roster around him.ย 
ย 

two 1st round d-linemen this year and then a QB and WR next year wouldnโ€™t be the worstย 

In addition - not addressing the position doesn't suddenly mean Davis Mills is the returning starter; It's likely there's going to be a crop of transitional guys available, guys who are better than Mills (but not exactly franchise guys). Ryan Tannehill, Daniel Jones, Drew Lock, Jimmy Garoppolo - all of these guys should be available for a more competitive situation next season.

This being said - if this is the direction, then all assets available in 2024 need to be ready to get the QB this team can lock in as the franchise QB. If it means packaging up some of the Cleveland bounty to trade up to 1.1 for Caleb Williams or Quinn Ewers, then so be it.

At the end of this journey, we need to find the replacement for that Browns QB - the face of the franchise. Anything less could put this team into a vicious cycle of building and rebuilding.