2023 NFL Draft Talk

lumberjackchris

8 hours ago, lumberjackchris said:

At this point I want to resign Tunsil for 3 years again. The line is going to be really good by seasons end as the keep gelling together. I dont want to spend a top pick on a OT in 2023. Maybe in 2024, but who knows

I've never really advocated getting rid of Tunsil - maybe as a cap move, but he's a youngish T in his prime, one who can play at an elite level at times.

• Like 1

Honestly I’d love for us to turn to Allen at some point towards the end of the year, unless Mills and Pep start to show improvement. Then Allen gets a shot to be a bridge guy for 1-2 years while we build up the team. Then take a QB in 2024. Caleb Williams and Quinn Ewers looks much better than the prospects this draft. 

23 hours ago, lumberjackchris said:

Honestly I’d love for us to turn to Allen at some point towards the end of the year, unless Mills and Pep start to show improvement. Then Allen gets a shot to be a bridge guy for 1-2 years while we build up the team. Then take a QB in 2024. Caleb Williams and Quinn Ewers looks much better than the prospects this draft. 

this franchise can't afford to do that.  if we are picking at the top for 2023 then we have to take a QB period.  it's risky to assume we will be bad enough to get Caleb Williams or any QB prospect that will be projected to go at the top of the 2024 draft. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

this franchise can't afford to do that.  if we are picking at the top for 2023 then we have to take a QB period.  it's risky to assume we will be bad enough to get Caleb Williams or any QB prospect that will be projected to go at the top of the 2024 draft. 

Ya I know, I’m just not in love with any of the QBs. I’d rather take Will Anderson at 1-1 then if a QB falls to the Browns pick take one then. 

10 minutes ago, lumberjackchris said:

Ya I know, I’m just not in love with any of the QBs. I’d rather take Will Anderson at 1-1 then if a QB falls to the Browns pick take one then. 

I'm not opposed to this, tbh. Will Anderson is a centerpiece who can actually tackle, amongst other skills. In addition, I don't see much variance in the tier 2 first round QBs. A coin toss on Hendon Hooker could be ideal. Anderson is the BPA, no argument here.

Then again, I REALLY like Stroud and Levis. I think if Stroud played anywhere but OSU, it would be a wrap for me and he'd be the pick. Levis has the physical tools and the mental makeup to be a successful QB, a guy who needs time but could flourish as he progresses.

19 hours ago, lumberjackchris said:

If there’s some scenario where the Texans grab Anderson at 1.1 and can follow up with Levis or Young in the top 10? I’d be estatic, I think every Texans fan would be estatic.

• Like 4

So, I'm watching OSU/MSU - it's the first time I'm watching CJ Stroud. I like what I'm seeing so far; It's only one drive in, but he's made some throws that are telling to his football IQ and understanding of how to get passing lanes to open up.

44 minutes ago, ET80 said:

So, I'm watching OSU/MSU - it's the first time I'm watching CJ Stroud. I like what I'm seeing so far; It's only one drive in, but he's made some throws that are telling to his football IQ and understanding of how to get passing lanes to open up.

My initial thoughts - he's a lot like Tua, doesn't throw with a ton of velocity but throws with good touch and anticipation. He looks over a defense and gets defenders to react to slight head fakes and false looks, which opens up the chance to take a bigger chunk of yardage to a receiver. He’s REALLY quick to see a missed assignment on defense - he threw a 60 yard TD pass to a WR within a second of seeing the slot CB missing his assignment, a very nice and heads-up throw. Everything he does is out of shotgun or pistol, so an OC will either have to adjust or teach how to properly drop back or read a defense from there.

I don’t know if Stroud has “top 5 QB in the NFL” potential, but he’s looking pretty good so far. Levis probably has better upside, Young is more explosive with the ball, but Stroud might be more consistent than both. Every throw is where it needs to be.

EDIT: Stroud with a 51 yard TD STRIKE, roped a ball to a skinny post very well. That was a highlight reel throw, yowza.