2023 NFL Draft Talk

lumberjackchris

1 hour ago, mse326 said:

But my pick is a different option. Anderson and WR/TE then do QB next year when there are absolute studs. I see a good QB in Young, but not a franchise guy. I know it isn't going to happen but that is what I'd do. There are so many wholes on this team, even a great QB only get's us to a handful of wins tops. I've always been of the mind it is better to build the team then get the QB. That doesn't mean we have all but QB, but I want there to be some semblance of a team first. We have nothing. 

I’m not opposed to getting Williams next year. 

1 hour ago, mse326 said:

But my pick is a different option. Anderson and WR/TE then do QB next year when there are absolute studs.

Only issue I have on this - what happens if you don’t end up with a top 3-5 pick? Given our division, it’s completely possible this team wins six on accident. Getting a pick in the top 3 isn’t guaranteed, and it isn’t as if Caserio can rebuild in perpetuity; The Texans have to eventually win, or they’re in danger of losing real money from a fanbase that can put their money behind a World Series caliber baseball team or an improving basketball team. You can’t rebuild FOREVER, you eventually have to take on a guy and try to be competitive.

Sure, there’s a possibility of trading up with the Browns pick + whatever assets you’ll look to part with in 2025, but what if the top 2-3 picks are all teams that need a QB? Are they going to pass on these stud QBs in exchange for picks? If they’re picking high, odds are the QB play is poor, and you’re now expecting them to give up their shot at an elite QB because your plan was a two year plan.

Mind you - it doesn’t even have to be a competitive season from the Texans, any pick outside of top 3-4 probably misses out on the QB in 2024. Then what - 2025? 2026? 

1 hour ago, mse326 said:

I see a good QB in Young, but not a franchise guy.

I think we differ on this - I’ll concede he’s probably not Pat Mahomes/Josh Allen, and I’m pretty sure he’s not a top 5 guy; I absolutely think he’s a guy who will be comfortably in the 6-12 range as his career progresses. Guys like that can (and have) won Super Bowls and have been on top tier teams. 

What I see from him that makes me excited about drafting him is how he’s elevating those around him. Remember, this isn’t an Alabama team that’s sending multiple guys from the offense to the first round, probably the first time it’s been like that in Tuscaloosa in a decade - as of now, Young and Will Anderson are the only two projected FRPs from Alabama. This isn’t Mac Jones throwing to Devonta Smith and Jaylen Waddle, this is a guy making things happen with guys who may or may not get drafted high. Despite that, he’s looking as good as he did last season when he was throwing to Jameson Williams and John Metchie (bonus - a WR he already has rapport with). If you look past the numbers on the helmet and the aura of Alabama, you see a QB propping up a mid-level offense.

1 hour ago, mse326 said:

There are so many wholes on this team, even a great QB only get's us to a handful of wins tops.

But even a handful of wins could get you on the outside looking in on the top tier QBs. What happens when the Texans pass on Young, have another losing season… and somehow end up with the 4th pick? Caleb Williams is gone, Drake Maye is gone and Quinn Ewers is gone? Do you really skip on Bryce Young and potentially end up with… Spencer Rattler or Jaxon Dart as your guy?

Every year there is a team that completely implodes - someone who makes the playoffs this year will end up with a pick ahead of us (I’m betting on Tampa Bay post Tom Brady). So, just assuming we’re picking this high again is not taking the randomness of the NFL into consideration. Heck, we could end up outside the top two and miss on the premier guys.

1 hour ago, mse326 said:

I've always been of the mind it is better to build the team then get the QB. That doesn't mean we have all but QB, but I want there to be some semblance of a team first.

Realistically - how is this team any different than Cincinnati pre-Joe Burrow? Shaky OL (Texans at least have a great LT and soon-to-be-great LG) RB with high level potential (Joe Mixon/Dameon Pierce) WR with great size/speed combo but had no real production (Tyler Boyd/Nico Collins) and a below average defense with components that could develop into core guys. Tee Higgins was drafted the same year as Burrow, JaMarr Chase came in the following year - but for all intents and purposes, that Bengals team has grown into what they are with Burrow growing alongside them. 

(Yes, Burrow is better than Young - but it’s not a huge gap).

Yeah, this team has a lot of needs - one of which is QB. It’s probably the one position that has the potential to make other positions better with great play, and a guy like Bryce Young has that innate ability to do that.

37 minutes ago, lumberjackchris said:

No way he’s a 4th round pick. He’s one of the top 2 RBs. He’s going bottom of 1 or in the 2nd

Yeah, Achane is going pretty high - after Robinson goes, it’s a toss up between Achane and Zach Evans (who I wouldn’t mind as a choice).

A lot of stuff went in our favor today draft position wise. The only thing that didn’t was the browns beating the bucs. 

Panthers, raiders and jags both got to 4 wins. 

now Denver, Pittsburgh, Rams, and Bears are the only ones with 3 loses 

I don’t see anyway we don’t get the number 1 pick. 

browns pick might drop down to 16-20 though. 

On 11/27/2022 at 6:54 PM, Pastor Dillon said:

A lot of stuff went in our favor today draft position wise. The only thing that didn’t was the browns beating the bucs. 

Panthers, raiders and jags both got to 4 wins. 

now Denver, Pittsburgh, Rams, and Bears are the only ones with 3 loses 

I don’t see anyway we don’t get the number 1 pick. 

browns pick might drop down to 16-20 though. 

Update, the Steelers have reached 4 wins now too! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tab said:

Is Bryce Young kinda short? Not sure how I feel about that

That’s the only knock people can bring up - he’s 6’ 0” and about 195 (expect him to show up to the combine at 205).

I don’t necessarily push against the size concern, but if that’s the ONLY complaint - is it really enough to choose someone else?

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

That’s the only knock people can bring up - he’s 6’ 0” and about 195 (expect him to show up to the combine at 205).

I don’t necessarily push against the size concern, but if that’s the ONLY complaint - is it really enough to choose someone else?

If he measures at over 6ft at the combine, his stock will go way up 

https://theathletic.com/3947249/2022/11/30/nfl-mock-draft-dane-brugler/?source=user_shared_article

It seems like Bryce at 1.1 is getting a ton of momentum - I personally think it’s a no brainer, but understand the trepidation.

I’m actually interested with Peter Skoronski at 1.10; Despite there being an overwhelming need, I hadn’t even put much thought on OL outside of C. Last season, I was pretty vocal about how I’m not a fan of taking a T and having them move to G, and this is a similar situation here - Skoronski played full time at LT, so this is something outside of my comfort zone, moving a guy and asking them to learn how to play a new position at the highest level of competition. Pretty much everyone says he projects to G, but that’s too easy to say in practice and not as easy in production (Max Scharping, anyone?)

I would assume this precludes RT Tytus Howard leaving as a FA - if it does, I’m actually very comfortable with it, as Howard hasn’t had the contract year I was expecting. It would be wise to bookend the T spots right now, so if this is the step - replacing Howard with Skoronski - sure.

Young is an obvious choice at first overall. I think the question now becomes whether or not the Texans will do something unexpected.

How confident are you that these Texans will do ANYTHING that everyone thinks they're going to do? I literally wouldn't be surprised if they replaced Lovie Smith with Hines Ward this offseason. I expect to be holding my breath as Goodell walks up to announce our pick. 

• Like 2

Ram got the W, that’s one less team to worry about. 

Denver and Chicago are now the only teams with fewer than 4 wins. 

Denver plays KC and Chicago has a bye so it looks like neither will be getting that 4th win   Good thing about Chicago is that they won’t be looking QB if they got pick 1  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Ram got the W, that’s one less team to worry about. 

Denver and Chicago are now the only teams with fewer than 4 wins. 

Denver plays KC and Chicago has a bye so it looks like neither will be getting that 4th win   Good thing about Chicago is that they won’t be looking QB if they got pick 1  

You have to worry about Chicago possibly trading it. Texans need to lose outright. 

• Like 1