2023 NFL Draft Talk

lumberjackchris

11 hours ago, lumberjackchris said:

Ugh.

we can't afford to pass on a QB this season cause we dont know 100 percent we will be in this range again to take one.  Also, alot can change.  It wasnt too long ago people were saying the 2023 QB Class is legit.  Now people are saying it isnt. 

Edited by Texansfan713
  • Like 1

Our 2022 draft class was thought by many, including myself to be a foundational class. I am still hopeful that is the case but they have struggled as rookies. 

Stingley and Green have not been healthy and have been slightly below average starters when they are. 

Metchie was a steal of a pick and unfortunately has been battling cancer and may never play at a high level. Hoping he does though! 

Pitre has been consistently average. Reminds me of Reid as a rookie, there’s hope for him. 

harris has been downright bad in his limited games 

Peirce has been the steal of our class but has battled injuries, and there was a question of whether or not he could hold up since he didn’t get very many carry’s in college. I am hopeful this was just a case of we have seen what we needed to see and there was no reason to keep playing him at probably the most wear and tear position in the league. 

Booker, Quitoriano, and Deculus have not been factors really. 

the theme for this class has been injuries, injuries, injuries. I’ll never be convinced Stingley was the right pick at 3. If you take a CB top 5 they better be amazing. But that’s who we have, so hope for the best. 

need to add talent everywhere in this draft. I can’t think of a position that is off the board for us. 

1 hour ago, Texansfan713 said:

we can't afford to pass on a QB this season cause we dont know 100 percent we will be in this range again to take one.  Also, alot can change.  It wasnt too long ago people were saying the 2023 QB Class is legit.  Now people are saying it isnt. 

This feels a lot like the 2018 hype.

https://www.ninersnation.com/platform/amp/2017/7/18/15980424/2018-nfl-draft-quarterback-watch-list-sam-darnold-josh-allen-josh-rosen

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2791599-2018-nfl-rookie-qbs-showing-the-future-is-already-here

I think this holds true - pretty much in any year (2017 and 2018 come to mind) you might have 4-6 guys who will get hyped, but only 1-2 will actually make it. 

This time last year - Van Dyke, Phil Jurkovic, DJ Uiagalelei, Spencer Rattler were supposed to be top guys in 2022. These guys were so poor they had to return to build up stock (why Van Dyke is on this list is beyond me, he’s maybe a 5th round talent - I’d list Washington QB Michael Penix very well ahead of him). It’s a bit of a testament that Bryce Young and CJ Stroud managed to keep 1a/1b they had coming into this season, especially considering they lost a combined 5 high end WRs from last season (Wilson, Olave, JSN, Williams, Metchie Jr). Stroud had a monster ready in the wings with Harrison Jr, Young didn’t… but they still stepped up and played very well.

As far as this list - The Shedeur Sanders hype is 98% who his dad is, not his ability as a QB - if his dad wasn’t coach, he’d still be at Jackson State. Ewers might not even start next season, depending on how Arch Manning looks out the gates - nobody wants to sit on a Manning, so Ewers might be transfer portal bound. Caleb Williams looks like he’ll maintain his spot as 1.1, Bo Nix is a sleeper who could have declared this year and gone top 25 and Jayden Daniels is going to deal with the same nonsense that Young is dealing with (but he’s not as good as Young).

Every class looks like it has potential until you look at it further. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, lumberjackchris said:

I’d be OK with JSN in the 2nd or Johnston with the Cleveland 1st. Parker Washington out of Penn State is giving me Deebo Samuel vibes, but I don’t know if he’s going to fit everywhere. A team is going to need a very creative OC to get him playing to max potential, he could just as easily turn into Laviska Shenault. 

No matter what’s done at the position - draft an actual alpha WR in 2024. Marvin Harrison Jr is the headliner, but Xavier Worthy, Mario Williams and Adonai Mitchell are also elite pass catchers - and I personally believe Brock Bowers is a true X receiver who is listed as a TE, Bowers listed as a WR would only be behind Harrison in positional rankings, maybe neck and neck with Worthy, the speed demon at UT. 

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/marvelous-marvin-harrison-jr-shines-light-on-magical-2024-nfl-draft-wr-class/

2024 potentially makes up for 2023. Things are fluid, this can change - but Harrison is a CeeDee Lamb clone, Worthy is a faster Terry McLarin, Mitchell is an AJ Green clone and Bowers is a bigger AJ Brown. This class is STACKED with pass catchers.

4 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Cleveland playing Washington this week. Cleveland has nothing to play for, while Washington is fighting for a playoff spot. Hopefully the browns lose. 

week 18, Pitt might have something to play for. We will see. Could get two top 5 picks. 

That Washington DL is going to harass Deshaun this Sunday 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lumberjackchris said:

That Washington DL is going to harass Deshaun this Sunday 

I just hope Carson Wentz doesn’t poop the bed like he’s prone to do. He’s auditioning for his next job, so he needs to play his best for his future…

• Like 1

On 12/26/2022 at 9:44 PM, lumberjackchris said:

Ugh.

So - I watched the Oregon/UNC game yesterday.

Snap judgement: Bo Nix is top 10. Drake Maye might not be a 1st round pick. I’ll need to watch a LOT more of him, but he was very uninspiring for half of that game.

So... Don't know where to put this. But here seems good.

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/college-football/michigan-among-suitors-for-nyckoles-harbor-college-football-track-recruit

6' 5" 245 lbs, runs a 100 yard dash at 10.22. (For comparisons sake - Tyreek Hill ran a 10.19 in college at 5' 10" 195 lbs). Boy is FAST and is as big as TJ Watt... and is only *17*. This kid is a legitimate genetic freak at this point - he defies every single theory we know about human performance - someone that young shouldn’t be that big, someone that big shouldn’t be that fast, someone that fast shouldn’t be that young. Planet Theory dictates there are maybe 10 people (probably less) walking the Earth with this sort of physical profile - and one of these 10 (or less) is likely committing to Michigan, it seems.

He seems like he wants to stick with football over track - I legitimately don't know what he plays at the next level, but that sort of size/speed combo is nearly unstoppable at any position. Apparently he likes offense (playing WR) and I'm thinking he's basically Calvin Johnson (physically - no idea on his ability, despite video game numbers as a WR and DE) as an incoming freshman. 

He very well could completely fail at the collegiate level and become the world's most physically impressive insurance salesman or real estate agent. Very much on the table. But... Jim Harbaugh isn't one to let a gem like this go unpolished. 

I'm interested to see what our two HS coaches @Pastor Dillon and @lumberjackchris think about a kid like this. 

14 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

The Jets have busted on two top 3 QBs in a 4 year period. That’s hard to do. 

Is it an organizational issue? I know the Jets cycled through two different administrations with Mike Maccagnan/Adam Gase and Joe Douglas/Robert Saleh. Maccagnan and Gase were trash can fires, so they're somewhat expected to bomb out with every pick they were in charge of at that time. Douglas/Saleh are proving to be really good at this.

Is this maybe an owner issue? This doesn't seem like a coincidence, the Jets are 0-3 on QBs drafted in the top 10 (Wilson, Darnold and Mark Sanchez) and that can't be coincidence.

21 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Is it an organizational issue? I know the Jets cycled through two different administrations with Mike Maccagnan/Adam Gase and Joe Douglas/Robert Saleh. Maccagnan and Gase were trash can fires, so they're somewhat expected to bomb out with every pick they were in charge of at that time. Douglas/Saleh are proving to be really good at this.

Is this maybe an owner issue? This doesn't seem like a coincidence, the Jets are 0-3 on QBs drafted in the top 10 (Wilson, Darnold and Mark Sanchez) and that can't be coincidence.

I think they will go after Rodgers or Carr this off season. They have a high end level defense and have some playmakers on offense. They need a vet QB and they could be good. 

• Like 1

This is a topic that has been discussed plenty but I’m growing on the idea of the Texans signing Garoppolo as a free agent. 

And I still like Hendon Hooker after the acl injury. If we’re able to sign Jimmy and draft Hooker in the 2nd or 3rd round it would immediately improve or QB room for the next year, and allow us to potentially get two studs/ BPAs with our two 1st rounders. 

Garoppolo, Mills, and Hooker would make for a competitive qb room, and allow Hooker to potentially start a few games towards the end of the season to show us what he’s capable of. And if we get another top 3 pick next year we could potentially draft one of the pre-hyped 2024 QBs, and either keep Hooker or trade him for a day 2 pick. (ala the cardinals with Josh Rosen in 2019)

Teams like the Eagles have been coveting QBs these last few years, even if they already have one. And given the Texans history I feel like it’s never a bad idea to throw things at the wall and see what sticks. 

It feels like the Texans rarely plan ahead for situations like this and can’t really see Caserio drafting Young at 1.1 bc of his size. If we don’t get Young I’d much rather go the  route just described vs ending up with Stroud or Levis.