2023 NFL Draft Talk

lumberjackchris

2 hours ago, tab said:

Is there any guys that could help our run defense? I would be cool taking a few guys that could help us there

Our entire defense needs help. Pitre is set at safety. Stingley might never be a number 1 CB but he’s locked in there for at least a few more years. 

Harris has looked a little better each week 

other than that, we need front 7 help bad. 

3 hours ago, tab said:

Is there any guys that could help our run defense? I would be cool taking a few guys that could help us there

I’m very much of the mindset that the guys who need to be brought in on defense need to be veterans - guys who don’t need to acclimate to the speed of the NFL, guys who understand how to prepare for opposing offenses.

Now, I am NOT talking about our typical free agent signings - no need for guys like KGH, Blake Cashman, Steve Nelson, etc. This offseason, put out a few multi year deals for Jessie Bates III, Dalvin Tomlinson, Devin Bush, Lavonte David, etc. Bring in GOOD experienced vets who can step in and improve the team while serving as leaders to the younger guys (Stingley, Pitre, Christian Harris, Roy Lopez, Jon Greenard). 

I get the intention of building a young defense, but the young guys have to ramp up to become everyday contributors; we see that right now with our younger players. Bring in a few plug and play guys, impact players who can help create an identity for this unit.

19 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I’m very much of the mindset that the guys who need to be brought in on defense need to be veterans - guys who don’t need to acclimate to the speed of the NFL, guys who understand how to prepare for opposing offenses.

Now, I am NOT talking about our typical free agent signings - no need for guys like KGH, Blake Cashman, Steve Nelson, etc. This offseason, put out a few multi year deals for Jessie Bates III, Dalvin Tomlinson, Devin Bush, Lavonte David, etc. Bring in GOOD experienced vets who can step in and improve the team while serving as leaders to the younger guys (Stingley, Pitre, Christian Harris, Roy Lopez, Jon Greenard). 

I get the intention of building a young defense, but the young guys have to ramp up to become everyday contributors; we see that right now with our younger players. Bring in a few plug and play guys, impact players who can help create an identity for this unit.

I agree. I’d love to go QB/WR in round 1 and add vets to the defense. 

• Like 1

A few times in this thread, I've mentioned how this pick at 1.1 is just as much a business decision as it is a football decision, and how this pick needs to galvanize an apathetic fan base.

My articulation might be poor, so let me lean on an award winning reporter, John Lopez:

https://www.gallerysports.com/john-p-lopez-cals-quandary-and-what-he-can-learn-from-jim-crane/?fbclid=IwAR1p2CrvL7NUnQjvRpszqHfRnryQBYKs_-T962EQ0PQ0xczLJ5zkwO6uc8g&amp=1&mibextid=Zxz2cZ

Don’t think for a second that football is the only thing this is about anymore. It’s not. This is about becoming interesting again.

Draft a quarterback. Tell your GM to do it, don’t ask. Do what Astros Jim Crane has done to the tune of two World Series championships. Trust your people, but only to a point. When it comes to the paradigm-shifting decisions, make the call yourself. Don’t waver. Don’t be soft. Don’t trust anyone but yourself and the sad attendance and Q-rating numbers you surely have seen.

Draft a face of the franchise. Give this city and these fans something to feel good about, some energy, some buzz, and hope, no matter if it’s a home run or it flops. Houston football fans need this.

This right here is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. This is so much more than just building a team, it's about creating an identity after wandering aimlessly for the past few seasons. And... It just so happens you have a guy who has lived up to (and in some cases, exceeded) every expectation put in front of him since he took the starting QB job from one of the most prestigious High School football programs in the country.

Build the rest of the team with the other 11 picks in this current draft and the 10 picks for the 2024 draft - pick 1.1 this year needs to be your Carlos Correa, your centerpiece for the foreseeable future and a legitimate face of the franchise.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ET80 said:

This right here is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. This is so much more than just building a team, it's about creating an identity after wandering aimlessly for the past few seasons. And... It just so happens you have a guy who has lived up to (and in some cases, exceeded) every expectation put in front of him since he took the starting QB job from one of the most prestigious High School football programs in the country.

Build the rest of the team with the other 11 picks in this current draft and the 10 picks for the 2024 draft - pick 1.1 this year needs to be your Carlos Correa, your centerpiece for the foreseeable future and a legitimate face of the franchise.

I didn't think my Colts would be wandering aimlessly in that QB desert for so long...but here we are. We will pick after the blue chip QB's are gone. Do we take a LT instead?

5 hours ago, ET80 said:

A few times in this thread, I've mentioned how this pick at 1.1 is just as much a business decision as it is a football decision, and how this pick needs to galvanize an apathetic fan base.

My articulation might be poor, so let me lean on an award winning reporter, John Lopez:

https://www.gallerysports.com/john-p-lopez-cals-quandary-and-what-he-can-learn-from-jim-crane/?fbclid=IwAR1p2CrvL7NUnQjvRpszqHfRnryQBYKs_-T962EQ0PQ0xczLJ5zkwO6uc8g&amp=1&mibextid=Zxz2cZ

Don’t think for a second that football is the only thing this is about anymore. It’s not. This is about becoming interesting again.

Draft a quarterback. Tell your GM to do it, don’t ask. Do what Astros Jim Crane has done to the tune of two World Series championships. Trust your people, but only to a point. When it comes to the paradigm-shifting decisions, make the call yourself. Don’t waver. Don’t be soft. Don’t trust anyone but yourself and the sad attendance and Q-rating numbers you surely have seen.

Draft a face of the franchise. Give this city and these fans something to feel good about, some energy, some buzz, and hope, no matter if it’s a home run or it flops. Houston football fans need this.

I agree but I just don’t think Young is the answer. 5-11 QBs just scare me. 

11 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I agree but I just don’t think Young is the answer. 5-11 QBs just scare me. 

I mean - if it's Stroud, it's Stroud. I don't NOT like anything about him, but I just feel like Young has much more explosiveness in terms of playmaking ability. The upside feels capped with Stroud - he'll be good, and that's about it. When I watch Young, I see the ability to be more than just good.

I'm usually a big measurable guy too, which is why I liked Anthony Richardson so much initially. But when I watch Young, I completely forget he's not the ideal height.

At this point, I'd have to say the only QB I DON'T want is Will Levis, who gives me Christian Hackenberg vibes - fits the physical profile and looks absolutely like a guy in pro day/combine events, but loses every single tangible skill once they put pads on. Somebody is going to lose their job with Will Levis (and I sincerely hope it's the Colts FO).

6 hours ago, ET80 said:

I agree with this but I don't  want Cal  making any decisions. Just write checks and stay out the way. 

2 hours ago, Blaze said:

I agree with this but I don't  want Cal  making any decisions. Just write checks and stay out the way. 

Decisions on WHO at QB, sure. Let Caserio and his scouting team figure that out. 

A statement such as "you better draft a QB within the first five picks" should suffice. This has football applications, but it's also very much a business decision. 

28 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Decisions on WHO at QB, sure. Let Caserio and his scouting team figure that out. 

A statement such as "you better draft a QB within the first five picks" should suffice. This has football applications, but it's also very much a business decision. 

I'm on the record saying Texans should go Bryce 1.1 but I don't want Cal demanding anything. I trust that the opposite of what he says/wants is the better decision. 

Give me Bryce though.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Blaze said:

I'm on the record saying Texans should go Bryce 1.1 but I don't want Cal demanding anything. I trust that the opposite of what he says/wants is the better decision. 

Give me Bryce though.

I get it - really, I do - but as Lopez said, this can't be a decision strictly based on analytics and SPARQ/RAS scores, tools Caserio uses. Something needs to be done to get out of this apathy stage this franchise is currently in. Something to spark the team, the city. Caserio needs to understand that and not select another DE at 1.1 (like this franchise has done twice before).

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

I mean - if it's Stroud, it's Stroud. I don't NOT like anything about him, but I just feel like Young has much more explosiveness in terms of playmaking ability. The upside feels capped with Stroud - he'll be good, and that's about it. When I watch Young, I see the ability to be more than just good.

I'm usually a big measurable guy too, which is why I liked Anthony Richardson so much initially. But when I watch Young, I completely forget he's not the ideal height.

At this point, I'd have to say the only QB I DON'T want is Will Levis, who gives me Christian Hackenberg vibes - fits the physical profile and looks absolutely like a guy in pro day/combine events, but loses every single tangible skill once they put pads on. Somebody is going to lose their job with Will Levis (and I sincerely hope it's the Colts FO).

I think stroud has a chance to be the pick but he might need to win a national championship