2023 Draft Talk

swede700

15 minutes ago, KeithVikings28 said:

What’s your ideal trade? 

If draft compensation needed to come from this year’s draft, my ideal trade? Sending 87 to SF. But I think a trade like what Bill Barnwell came up with for ESPN is far more realistic.

If I could make a trade in June that would involve sending Cousins to SF in exchange for Lance and some 2024 draft compensation, I’d much rather do that. 

Edited by SemperFeist

15 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

Reminder With The Draft 1 Week Away:

no leaking picks please. This year could be a little interesting also with the amount of fake accounts coming out with a lot less of those blue check marks floating around on Twitter. Let’s not ruin the excitement on the forum by leaking a few picks early.

Blue checkmarks on Twitter literally means nothing considering you can pay per month for it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Boda said:

Blue checkmarks on Twitter literally means nothing considering you can pay per month for it. 

That's Elon for you.  Can't do anything except screw things up.  It's probably his fault that the starship blew up yesterday...oh, excuse me, had an "unplanned disassembly".  😉

• Like 2

After the draft and after June 1st:

Kirk Cousins + 2024 3rd round pick for Lance + 2024 1st round pick

This would result in dead cap hits of $10.25M (2023) and $28.5M (2024). The 2023 figure would be managable with a combination of moves like trading Cook (in the 2023 draft) or cutting him subsequent to the draft and restructuring Brian O'neil.

3 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

After the draft and after June 1st:

Kirk Cousins + 2024 3rd round pick for Lance + 2024 1st round pick

This would result in dead cap hits of $10.25M (2023) and $28.5M (2024). The 2023 figure would be managable with a combination of moves like trading Cook (in the 2023 draft) or cutting him subsequent to the draft and restructuring Brian O'neil.

If Cousins is traded after June 1st, it creates $10M in cap space for the Vikings in 2023. There wouldn’t need to be any moves that would need to be made. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 1

For hypothetical discussion purposes, if you knew that the Vikings and 49ers were going to make a trade in June involving Cousins, Lance, and 2024 draft picks, how would that affect your 2023 draft strategy? 

Would you be more inclined to add an offensive weapon? 

Are you more inclined to add to the defense? 

Or does your draft plan remain the same?

13 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

For hypothetical discussion purposes, if you knew that the Vikings and 49ers were going to make a trade in June involving Cousins, Lance, and 2024 draft picks, how would that affect your 2023 draft strategy? 

It would be the same for me. I think they need to add talent, period. I feel like that’s probably more important on Defense, but I’d also want Lance to have the best weapons to succeed. So, in short, BPA for me (except TE, RB and OT). 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I don't think it would really change my draft plan at all.  I think there are enough offensive weapons currently on roster.  What I do think would happen is, if they knew at the time, that they would be far more likely to take Bijan Robinson if he were available.  That would be the only offensive weapon I'd consider at #23 in that scenario, as he would take the heat off of Lance with the inevitable departure of Cook.  Otherwise, that's the only change I'd consider. 

7 minutes ago, swede700 said:

with the inevitable departure of Cook.  Otherwise, that's the only change I'd consider. 

Seeing as how swapping Cousins for Lance would create a similar amount of cap space as trading/releasing Cook, would you be more inclined to keep Cook?

42 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

More offensive weapons especially at #23 ... because your going to have one year to evaluate Lance. Does he do well and you start looking an extension talks, or does he look bad (contributing to a low win total and better draft slot), and now your in better position to draft 2024 QB. Capping the defensive improvement in 2023, might have the affect of keep Brian Flores around for two seasons (where there could be a better defensive rating jump in 2024).