2023 Draft Talk

swede700

19 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

That presumes that they've identified one of the guys as actually being "KOC's guy." Otherwise they will probably end up getting KOC just a guy. 

To me, CJ Stroud just seems like a KOC guy. KOC's number one attribute he looks for is accuracy, and Stroud is insanely accurate and has a great arm. His footwork is really good too. If he falls a little (big if, imo), I feel like he'll be a Minnesota Viking.

Edited by AP_allday2869
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Duluther said:

QB's generally don't sit a year anymore).

Generally no, but we have the prime example of Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs as this is a virtually identical situation to them.  I like the fact that we don't have to rush into finding a new QB, like basically was done with our last 3 drafted QBs (Tarvaris, Ponder, Teddy).  This time, they can wait to find the right one, and that could be this year or next. 

I don't care what the Packers do.  The Packers are irrelevant to me.  I'm glad that the person that indicated that they fear what the Packers might do next season isn't the GM, because they would deserve to be fired.

• Like 4

ESPN’s Bill Barnwell on April 19 pitched a three-team trade between the Vikings, 49ers and Philadelphia Eagles, which he said values Trey Lance at approximately the “39th overall pick in a typical draft.” In Barnwell’s scenario, the Vikings would surrender the No. 23 overall pick and backup QB Nick Mullens, while getting back Lance as well as a third-round pick and a sixth-round pick in this week’s draft.

In this scenario, the Vikings procure an elite talent at the quarterback position on a reasonable contract for the next two or three seasons. Lance will be allowed a year to learn the Vikings’ system under head coach Kevin O’Connell, who has a playing history as an NFL quarterback and a coaching history as a Super Bowl-winning offensive coordinator. The Vikings will run out Cousins for the 2023 season, after which his contract ends and the two sides can part ways.

https://heavy.com/sports/minnesota-vikings/trey-lance-trade-rumors-49ers-draft/?fbclid=IwAR2s1S6KHEMbtmm1KnAn1b1WfrtCZfOmHQZFm9j1E4AbSNRNw4J2SuobRLk

1 hour ago, JDBrocks said:

I think that’s true much of the time, but there’s also something to be said for guys taking their lumps early on and learning on the job. It all comes down to the player and the situation. It wouldn’t have done Andrew Luck any good to sit in Indy, for instance. 

I think it’s more beneficial for a young QB to sit for a year and learn. I was listening to Liam Coen talk about this in an interview on NFL Radio yesterday and he gave a really great overview of just how much information gets dumped on QBs coming in from college. So, while some QBs can work through it as rookies, I think they’d all benefit from sitting. Especially if they get to sit and learn behind a solid veteran. 

And while I can understand the argument for a young QB taking his lumps early, I think you either need to have a special QB, or a really good supporting cast (players and coaches) to ensure that those lumps don’t turn into bad habits. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I think it’s more beneficial for a young QB to sit for a year and learn. I was listening to Liam Coen talk about this in an interview on NFL Radio yesterday and he gave a really great overview of just how much information gets dumped on QBs coming in from college. So, while some QBs can work through it as rookies, I think they’d all benefit from sitting. Especially if they get to sit and learn behind a solid veteran. 

And while I can understand the argument for a young QB taking his lumps early, I think you either need to have a special QB, or a really good supporting cast (players and coaches) to ensure that those lumps don’t turn into bad habits. 

The bolded is the scenario I was talking about. Elite talent or rosters are wasted when the wrong guy is playing QB. I agree that most QBs can benefit by sitting early on, even if it's not a full season.

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

ESPN’s Bill Barnwell on April 19 pitched a three-team trade between the Vikings, 49ers and Philadelphia Eagles, which he said values Trey Lance at approximately the “39th overall pick in a typical draft.” In Barnwell’s scenario, the Vikings would surrender the No. 23 overall pick and backup QB Nick Mullens, while getting back Lance as well as a third-round pick and a sixth-round pick in this week’s draft.

In this scenario, the Vikings procure an elite talent at the quarterback position on a reasonable contract for the next two or three seasons. Lance will be allowed a year to learn the Vikings’ system under head coach Kevin O’Connell, who has a playing history as an NFL quarterback and a coaching history as a Super Bowl-winning offensive coordinator. The Vikings will run out Cousins for the 2023 season, after which his contract ends and the two sides can part ways.

https://heavy.com/sports/minnesota-vikings/trey-lance-trade-rumors-49ers-draft/?fbclid=IwAR2s1S6KHEMbtmm1KnAn1b1WfrtCZfOmHQZFm9j1E4AbSNRNw4J2SuobRLk

If they would trade for Lance,  I think they should trade Cousins and see what Lance could do.  If he sucks draft a qb the next year

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

If they would trade for Lance,  I think they should trade Cousins and see what Lance could do.  If he sucks draft a qb the next year

A) Need someone willing to trade for Cousins

B) Need someone Cousins is willing to be traded to (no trade clause)

San Francisco seems to be all-in on Purdy. They aren't giving us anything significant for one year of Cousins, and I doubt he accepts a trade without being extended. 

24 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

A) Need someone willing to trade for Cousins

B) Need someone Cousins is willing to be traded to (no trade clause)

San Francisco seems to be all-in on Purdy. They aren't giving us anything significant for one year of Cousins, and I doubt he accepts a trade without being extended. 

Didn't Purdy say that he might miss most of the season? I don't think the 49ers would trade Lance without a backup plan other than Darnold in that scenario.

I don't know if Cousins would be willing to be traded without an extension but he can't be all that happy with the Vikings and maybe he thinks another team would help him have a better season before becoming a free agent

3 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

I think that’s true much of the time, but there’s also something to be said for guys taking their lumps early on and learning on the job. It all comes down to the player and the situation. It wouldn’t have done Andrew Luck any good to sit in Indy, for instance. 

I disagree, respectfully.   If I recall, Luck was pretty beat up his rookie year.  I wonder if the "lumps" he took that year and each of the following years shortened his career and killed his desire to play?

I think it is pretty rare for a quarterback to become successful after a bad rookie season.

8 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

I think it is pretty rare for a quarterback to become successful after a bad rookie season.

Peyton Manning threw 28 interceptions and went 3-13 after his rookie season. Again, I'm not saying every QB should start right away, but the right player in the right situation can gain a lot of valuable experience being thrown into the fire. I don't think any QB in this draft fits that mold. Maybe Caleb Williams next year, but probably not.