2023 Draft Talk

swede700

Many a HOFer had rough rookie seasons.   I think some of it has to do with the overall team and specifically the running game . . . Ponder and Big Ben had AP and the Bus, respectively.  Conversely, Troy Aikman had theeeee worst rookie season . . . That fire was HOT!  

It's far cry from a given a rookie starting his first year will have any success.  Its also likely the guy improves as the team around him elevates his game . . . Think Purdy, Brees and Brady.  

13 hours ago, AP_allday2869 said:

To be fair, isn't this said every year? Then the "next year" comes around and everyone always says to wait  to take a QB the following year because the current year sucks and the following year is stronger? It's always a rinse and repeat statement.

That's why I am so okay with trading up for a QB this year. We NEED to get one as soon as we can at this point considering Kirk's contract situation, and we can't always be waiting for the "next year" to take one. We need to just rip the bandaid off and get KOC his guy. 

If Houston goes with Levis or Will Anderson, I could see the team trading with Arizona to get the #3 pick and take Stroud.

If that happens, would Cousins look to be traded, or play out his final season here?

7 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

If that happens, would Cousins look to be traded, or play out his final season here?

I don't think there's any way Cousins looks to be traded. He's been nothing but the consumate professional his entire career. He was never supposed to be "the guy" in Washington, but he never made a stink about his contract. He just went out and did his job. He's been the model pro here. He also is smart enough to know that he's unlikely to land in a place that is either going to hand him a big extension right away or a place where he can play a year that has the type of offensive talent the Vikings do. If he hits the open market next season after having a big season throwing to JJ and TJ, he'll have multiple suitors bidding for his services.

Kirk will be our QB this season.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

If Houston goes with Levis or Will Anderson, I could see the team trading with Arizona to get the #3 pick and take Stroud.

You would do that if you had the ability to do so, or you have some knowledge (which you don't) that Kwesi would do so?

Because trading up from 23 to 3 and using multiple years' capital to do so is not what an analytics based guy does.

42 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

You would do that if you had the ability to do so, or you have some knowledge (which you don't) that Kwesi would do so?

Because trading up from 23 to 3 and using multiple years' capital to do so is not what an analytics based guy does.

Totally true . . . Many players for one has proven fatal to many a team . . . Hey, I know, ask Mike Ditka🤣

4 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Drafting a safety in the 1st round isn’t something an analytically based guy does. Yet, that’s what Kwesi did last year. Signing a blocking tight end to a significant contract isn’t what an analytically based guy does. Yet, it was Kwesi’s first move of this offseason. 

Kwesi may have a background with analytics, but there isn’t a ton of examples in his two off seasons as General Manager to suggest that he’s driven by analytics. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I think if we moved up to #3 (giving Cousins the heads up tomorrow that we might look to draft a QB if an opportunity presents itself), following the draft we may start to open up the lines of communication about if he would like to potentially find a new landing spot for the coming season. We might also be forthcoming that SF has inquired about his availability. Depending on his thoughts, and if Cousins is okay waving his NTC depending on contract, Minny could work the phones with SF on 2024 draft pick compensation and a framework extension deal could be discussed to Cousins and his agent, and if amicable work towards a June 1st deal completion. 

Edited by CriminalMind
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, vike daddy said:

What if his risk analytics say it’s worth the gamble?

It’s going to take KOC saying this is “the guy” to hitch our wagon to, and then Kewsi believing in that, and going up to get one singular QB if they are on the board at #2 or #3

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

What if his risk analytics say it’s worth the gamble?

It’s going to take KOC saying this is “the guy” to hitch our wagon to, and then Kewsi believing in that, and going up to get one singular QB if they are on the board at #2 or #3

hey, i get that it could happen, this draft even more than others has a lot of unknown variables. but given the state of the team roster (we need more than one guy, basically) i just don't see it as likely.

so to me, it makes a lot more sense for any of us to say we'd do it personally or we hope the Vikings would do so, as opposed to writing they actually will.

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

hey, i get that it could happen, this draft even more than others has a lot of unknown variables. but given the state of the team roster (we need more than one guy, basically) i just don't see it as likely.

so to me, it makes a lot more sense for any of us to say we'd do it personally or we hope the Vikings would do so, as opposed to writing they actually will.

Just to be clear, I dont think anyone thinks we only need one guy (to contend now/soon). What it comes down to is we need better value (talent/$ combination) from the QB spot in the next couple of seasons, and then additional players as well. Logically, the draft is likely the avenue to get that first piece (QB), so in limited options of acquiring that talent at QB, I don't think Kewsi would discount the expensive trade up option.

15 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Just to be clear, I dont think anyone thinks we only need one guy (to contend now/soon). What it comes down to is we need better value (talent/$ combination) from the QB spot in the next couple of seasons, and then additional players as well. Logically, the draft is likely the avenue to get that first piece (QB), so in limited options of acquiring that talent at QB, I don't think Kewsi would discount the expensive trade up option.

The money isn't an issue after this year. They can have well over $100m in cap space available next year. Also, Cousins' contract is more valuable now than it has ever been in relation to what the rest of the league is paying: 12th highest AAV, 9th most guaranteed money. This is the first time he's had the same OC in back to back years since 2016 - I expect him to be even better than he was last year. No need to jump that high UNLESS the team is absolutely convinced that they've found a true 1A franchise solidifying QB.

• Like 4