Can Shanny/Lynch survive in San fran Trey Lance if he busts?

Kiwibrown

I think their overall level of success buys them some time. 

They've won a good bit with arguably sub par QB play. 

If Lance outright busts, it'll sting, but I have a difficult time seeing SF totally flopping. 

If Lance busts and the team suffers, maybe it's a different story. But I just don't feel like Shanny/Lynch are as intertwined with Lance as HC/GM usually is with their QB. 

Can they? Sure, but it’ll be difficult if they offload Jimmy G. I mean, if Lance really is as bad as rumors make out (and I am not so sure about the validity of those rumors), then I don’t see why the 49ers would offload Garoppolo.

They probably trade Lance if there’s interest, or just treat him as a too expensive backup and keep trying to build around Garoppolo.

They’ve shown they can succeed with what they have. Why dump a QB you can win with when you don’t have a better option?

Edited by Daniel

4 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I'd be interested to know if there's any truth to the story, and to what extent, that Kyle actually wanted Jones from the draft. 

I'd wager 0. Lance is the Shanny pick. He's the most powerful person in the 49er organization and Jed loves him and doesn't really incorporate himself into the player side of things. After the Washington fiasco there is 0 chance that a QB was foisted on him. 

With regards to the rumors that he may be underwhelming is probably more complicated. Lombardo is the only guy that has said anything in that regard any time recently. As ET said previously, the other chatter just seems to be poor deductive reasoning (oh, they must not be a fan because Jimmy is still on the roster).  His first source was "an exec who is close to the 49ers". Going to call BS on this one. The 49ers really just going to tell their competition "Yeah, we are really underwhelmed with our franchise QB" ? That doesn't pass the smell test in any way. That's like when people were reporting the pick was highly likely to be Mac Jones because that's what competing GMs thought. This seems like fluff to make it seems bigger and / or hide his real source. 

His second source was members of the coaching staff. This part is potentially true, though I'd wager they are former members of the coaching staff and the most reasonable choice is former QB coach Rich Scangerello. The 49ers are not known for leaks in the least under this regime. Lombardo is a philly based reporter and he's the one with Philly ties. As far as I know, Lombardo has no other ties through anyone else in the organization. This seems to me to be the most reasonable and logical choice. Not everyone in that building was going to be a Trey Lance supporter. It happens. Some I'm sure preferred Mac, others even Fields. 

The story with regards to how they feel is potentially true, potentially false, potentially meaningless. Some of what he says boggles my mind in how they could be disappointed. One of the things was they were disappointed in his arm strength, which legitimately makes no sense. Did they think that he could literally throw a ball through a battleship and then were surprised when he couldn't ? The other was his deep ball accuracy. If they were disappointed by that, they only have themselves to blame. That was on the tape lol. 

The truth is that until Jimmy is gone, they open themselves up to these kind of stories, regardless of whether or not they are true. Its going to get worse as it goes on because there is no deadline to spur activity on that front until the season starts, so he's not going anywhere any time soon even once he gets healthy (right now he has an injury guarantee in play if they cut him, so it actually makes financial sense not to cut him yet). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chiefer said:

One thing i will say is he had a big hypetrain already building up as well. So i think there was some pushback initially, which makes sense. Has there been any hype for Trey Lance?

Yes and no. The thing is, because of covid, practices were mostly closed to media, so you didn't have the people in there to lead the hype train mid season. There were some leaked practice videos of Trey that came out that got Twitter in a frenzy for a bit (humorously enough, I wasn't all that moved by them), but the conversation has been pretty muted all the way around. Most of any hype stems from his games which just got much better as he went on (he looked like a chicken with his head cut off when he came into the game against Seattle) and the throws he actually made in game. There was hype in training camp and talk he was going to beat out Jimmy from jump but obviously that didn't happen. 

5 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Only if they somehow pull a miracle trade and get another franchise caliber QB

Sort of, yes.  Lynch-Shanahan can survive one year of Trey Lance but not with the prospect of a second.  They''ll need to come up with a narrative.

However, it will likely require a different kind of miracle.  They'll need to acquire a high 2023 draft pick since they probably won't have the cap space to attract an established franchise QB in trade or free agency.  The good news is that the degree of difficulty won't be high (e.g.  Garoppolo).

7 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

Sort of, yes.  Lynch-Shanahan can survive one year of Trey Lance but not with the prospect of a second.  They''ll need to come up with a narrative.

However, it will likely require a different kind of miracle.  They'll need to acquire a high 2023 draft pick since they probably won't have the cap space to attract an established franchise QB in trade or free agency.  The good news is that the degree of difficulty won't be high (e.g.  Garoppolo).

He's not going anywhere in 2023, come on now. The odds that he's that bad are pretty slim, and then you have to account for the odds that they unload him that quick even if he were that bad.  Lance could be dreadful and he's still going to get a second year as a starter. The narrative is built in that he's young and lacks run and experience as a starter. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Lance could be dreadful and he's still going to get a second year as a starter

Not after essentially red-shirting his first year.  Not after the hype.  Not after three first round draft picks to take a QB after Zach Wilson.  Not after single-handedly costing the 49ers a playoff spot in 2022.  San Fran fans aren't that forgiving.

Lance will be retained but Lynch-Shanahan won't be [if they commit to Trey as their 2023 starter].

I think there’d have to be an established replacement incoming for that to happen. Basically what Cleveland just did with Deshaun. And not with a season or something in-between, it’d have to be a quick move. Probably depends exactly how bad this hypothetical is, though. Is he Miami-Tannehill? Or is he like, EJ Manuel? 

Only other way I see it is if they’re making the playoffs for a couple years with Trey, despite him busting. 

Edited by Yin-Yang

27 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

Not after essentially red-shirting his first year.  Not after the hype.  Not after three first round draft picks to take a QB after Zach Wilson.  Not after single-handedly costing the 49ers a playoff spot in 2022.  San Fran fans aren't that forgiving.

Lance will be retained but Lynch-Shanahan won't be [if they commit to Trey as their 2023 starter].

What hype? lol This is seriously a thread because of "grumblings that he's not the guy". And honestly, the cost to acquire him is potentially the very thing that would keep him in line to get more starts. People really don't like to admit they messed up in that big of a manner. 

SF fans don't have to be forgiving, they don't have a say. 

Jamarcus Russell still got 25 starts lol. They have built up equity from going to the NFC championship game the year before and fully guaranteed contracts and Jed York loves them. 

This is the kind of stuff that @ET80 was talking about. They go to two NFC championships and a super bowl in 4 years, but a bad Trey Lance first year is going to have Jed York throw down the gauntlet that they have to change QBs or get fired? lol what? 

Trey could very well take this regime down...it's not happening after 2022 even if Trey has a bad year. That's ridiculous. And it won't matter if the team decides to bring Trey back as the starter in 2023 or not. It may mean he gets the Teddy Bridgewater vet addition camp push though. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

professor farnsworth GIF

Referencing the comment about "If A, then B" but not actually putting thought into it. 

"Since Jimmy is still on the roster, they must not like Trey"

"Since the 49ers had a bad year in Trey's first year starting, they must immediately replace him or they will be fired" 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

Referencing the comment about "If A, then B" but not actually putting thought into it. 

"Since Jimmy is still on the roster, they must not like Trey"

"Since the 49ers had a bad year in Trey's first year starting, they must immediately replace him or they will be fired" 

Nah, I get it - been wanting to throw out that Professor Farnsworth gif for a while now. Figured now’s a good time.

I’m very well versed in how the media will dream up a narrative during my stint with the Deshaun Watson debacle. 

OMGZ, Watson is in NY, he wants to be a Jet!”

”But wait, Philly has three FRPs - he wants to go to the Eagles?”

”Seattle just traded Russell Wilson, and got a war chest of picks, my sources tell me they’re ALL IN on Watson!”

Pretty much an excess of picks or caps means you’re tied to every potential trade - and the stretches of logic used to justify a stance is borderline insane.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Nah, I get it - been wanting to throw out that Professor Farnsworth gif for a while now. Figured now’s a good time.

I’m very well versed in how the media will dream up a narrative during my stint with the Deshaun Watson debacle. 

OMGZ, Watson is in NY, he wants to be a Jet!”

”But wait, Philly has three FRPs - he wants to go to the Eagles?”

”Seattle just traded Russell Wilson, and got a war chest of picks, my sources tell me they’re ALL IN on Watson!”

Pretty much an excess of picks or caps means you’re tied to every potential trade - and the stretches of logic used to justify a stance is borderline insane.

Nary a move was made this off season that wasn't force fed into the Watson combo. 

I'm just ready for Jake Plummer to randomly decide to declare his comeback and the media immediately opine that, because of his relationship with Kyle Shanahan, Trey Lance must be burnt toast. Because you know they would lol

Edited by ronjon1990
  • Like 2