Texans off-season thread

ET80

1 hour ago, UKTexans said:

What an absolute fail.

It's also a media fail as when he was placed on the reserve/PUP on May 11, this was fait accompli, making this conclusion nothing more than bookkeeping.  As I explained 2 months ago, by placing him on reserve/pup (aka regular season pup) vs. active/pup (aka preseason pup) we were locking him into not being able to touch a football field until weeks 6-10 which makes no sense to do in May since you can transfer anyone from active/pup to reserve/pup as long as they don't step onto a practice field.  Reserve/Pup in is only used in May for players like Derek Newton and Ryan Shazier who are assured of missing the season, not a guy who missed the final two games of last season with a concussion (without any concerning history).  If we actually planned on having him play for us, he would have been placed on the active/pup which is where you put players returning from offseason surgeries or minor injuries basically on the off chance they don't pass a physical before the end of the preseason.  Reserve/PUP doesn't effect salary cap in the slightest, but does open up a spot on the 90 man roster.  Not sure why this bugs me so much, but it is just crazy to me that so many people who actually draw salaries for being "journalists" can't take 15 minutes to understand the differences and implications for basic NFL designations.  The Texans o-line should be one of our biggest storylines of the offseason as it was the worst in the league last year and is still god awful protecting a QB with 2 rebuilt acls, but Jeff Allen was never going to be a part of it and that was made clear when we chose to bring in a 91st player in May.  

Glad we got rid of Allen. He dealt with a lot of injuries over the two season we had him and his play reflected that... he was awful. I didn't mind the signing two years ago but it obviously didn't work out for us. 

1 hour ago, lumberjackchris said:

The OL got better today

I'm honestly worried about depth, but it's not as if Allen really bolstered that unit much. 

I really, really, REALLY have a bad feeling about this OL. I'm hoping that Gaine is trying to find some sort of additional assets to add to the group. I'm OK with burning a pick to bring in a vet to compete, this current OL is a major challenge to overcome.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

I'm honestly worried about depth, but it's not as if Allen really bolstered that unit much. 

I really, really, REALLY have a bad feeling about this OL. I'm hoping that Gaine is trying to find some sort of additional assets to add to the group. I'm OK with burning a pick to bring in a vet to compete, this current OL is a major challenge to overcome.

They replaced 4 out of 5 starters this off season. There isn’t much left they can do about the line at this point. You have to hope the new guys play well and the existing guys improve. 

So

davenport/Fulton/martin/kelemete/Henderson 

mancz and Rankin as our two back ups. Could be good if martin and Davenport take a step forward. Henderson could be a steal and Fulton and kelemete could be average starters. Or it could blow up. At least we have no money tied up other than Fulton 

5 hours ago, UKTexans said:

If we can get even the 20th best unit it will be an upgrade.

I have high hopes for Kelemete, seems like he was very well respected by Saints fans. Fulton is less of a "warm and fuzzy" for me, but can't be worse than either Allen or Sua Filo. Seriously, it is impossible for him to be worse.

I had higher hope for Martinas Rankin at RT, but that foot injury put that on hold. Seantrell Henderson isn't special, but much like Fulton, he's immediately better than Kendall "one hitter quitter" Lanm. Hell, Kendall Jenner is probably a better RT than Kendall Lamm...

Here's the thing, Watson and the boys were tearing people up, with a horrific offensive line. They were torching some good Defenses in seattle and kansas city. Replacing Filo with Fulton provides perhaps the biggest upgrade any team made on the offensive line all season, and that assumes that fulton is average to below average. Filo was that bad. Davenport only has 1 way to go, so does Martin. Henderson was a huge upgrade over Lamm. Kelemete is the wildcard for me. He could be terrible and he could be great. 

but either way, it has to be better than last year. 

In all honesty, this wasn't the offseason to find top notch replacements on the o line and being handcuffed by a lack of a 1st and 2nd round pick didn't help. At this point, I feel cautiously optimistic about the chances of the line improving from last season. (Because it would be hard to be worse) I like what Gaine attempted to do in a bad market, and at the very least he did what Rick Smith never would and admitted that there was a huge problem.

That said, I also get the feeling that Gaine is hoping that a couple of vets with a couple of decent seasons left get beat out in TCs around the league and cut. It happens every year, players that you wouldn't expect to come available and get picked up, only to have good seasons with their new team. I haven't looked at any other rosters to be able to point to any potential for this, but I can hope right?

35 minutes ago, shep0507 said:

In all honesty, this wasn't the offseason to find top notch replacements on the o line and being handcuffed by a lack of a 1st and 2nd round pick didn't help. At this point, I feel cautiously optimistic about the chances of the line improving from last season. (Because it would be hard to be worse) I like what Gaine attempted to do in a bad market, and at the very least he did what Rick Smith never would and admitted that there was a huge problem.

That said, I also get the feeling that Gaine is hoping that a couple of vets with a couple of decent seasons left get beat out in TCs around the league and cut. It happens every year, players that you wouldn't expect to come available and get picked up, only to have good seasons with their new team. I haven't looked at any other rosters to be able to point to any potential for this, but I can hope right?

I was talking to a few buddies of mine on this - it looks as if Gaine's MO in Fred agency is to find guys who really excelled in different parts of the game (parts that don't really get noticed much) and offered opportunities to expand on those spots here:

- Aaron Colvin was arguably the best slot CB, Gaine is offering him a chance to expand on it by letting him compete for a starting/boundary CB role.

- Johnson Bademosi is a CB who really excelled at ST, but is going to get a chance to work into the CB rotation.

- Senio Kelemete is a rotating IOL who looked great in various spots all season long for the Sainta, but he's going to get a shot at RG this season. 

Push comes to shove with each guy, you'll be able to get some value from them, whether it be on ST, slot CB or rotational IOL. Gaine is banking that the guys will outperform their previous roles with their previous teams, but has a fallback in the event they do not.

5 hours ago, ET80 said:

I was talking to a few buddies of mine on this - it looks as if Gaine's MO in Fred agency is to find guys who really excelled in different parts of the game (parts that don't really get noticed much) and offered opportunities to expand on those spots here:

- Aaron Colvin was arguably the best slot CB, Gaine is offering him a chance to expand on it by letting him compete for a starting/boundary CB role.

- Johnson Bademosi is a CB who really excelled at ST, but is going to get a chance to work into the CB rotation.

- Senio Kelemete is a rotating IOL who looked great in various spots all season long for the Sainta, but he's going to get a shot at RG this season. 

Push comes to shove with each guy, you'll be able to get some value from them, whether it be on ST, slot CB or rotational IOL. Gaine is banking that the guys will outperform their previous roles with their previous teams, but has a fallback in the event they do not.

On 7/15/2018 at 10:05 AM, ET80 said:

Yup! High floor guys.

On 7/16/2018 at 3:51 AM, UKTexans said:

If we can get even the 20th best unit it will be an upgrade.

thats how i see it too.  if it sucks again we will hopefully have an early 2nd rounder via seattle to use as a trade chip to trade up if needbe and address the OL.  I think the OL will be better this season than last so we will see. 

Archived