Veterans Free Agents that could help Packers in 2022.

jleisher

4 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Yea I know the testing protocols are gone but I'm hoping they parse out and keep the IR rules. So much more sensible to use IR more like a 21-day DL so guys can come back and teams don't have to permanently end the season for guys who might be out 6-10 weeks.

I'm hoping so too, but until they announce it I'm going to operate under the assumption of pre-COVID rules.

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

And draft status' carried those 3 onto the roster and ST carried Trevor Davis onto the roster.  Jake Kumerow is probably the only one that made it because they earned it.

So that could be Doubs and Rodgers this year, guys who make it no matter what. 

In 2018, it was Adams, Cobb and Allison at the top, MVS at 4.

Right now you're looking at Watkins (step back from Adams), Cobb (a lesser version of himself), Lazard (step up from Allison) and Watson ( who may or may not be MVS in year 1). 

Do they believe that's good enough? We'll find out. 

Edited by packfanfb
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Do they believe that's good enough? We'll find out. 

Could it be improved?  Probably.  Realistically?  Probably not.  Signing Julio Jones or Will Fuller isn't going to suddenly make me feel better about that WR room.  Does it make me feel a little bit better?  Yeah, but it's not changing the overall dynamic of that room.  We lost a top 3 WR this offseason.  That's not going to change from the remaining WR free agents.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Could it be improved?  Probably.  Realistically?  Probably not.  Signing Julio Jones or Will Fuller isn't going to suddenly make me feel better about that WR room.  Does it make me feel a little bit better?  Yeah, but it's not changing the overall dynamic of that room.  We lost a top 3 WR this offseason.  That's not going to change from the remaining WR free agents.

Could all come down to what we get out of Watkins and Watson. I know people have higher expectations for Lazard but I'll believe it when I see it with him. He's still a role player imo.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

And when Julio Jones or Will Fuller get injured, are you going to use the same excuses?  You want to add to the WR room, but two of the biggest names available are walking injury concerns.

You know what my point is. 

having Watkins and Julio gives a much greater chance that we would have an established vet on the boundary. It woukd reduce risk and make the room better

1 hour ago, Rainmaker90 said:

You know what my point is. 

having Watkins and Julio gives a much greater chance that we would have an established vet on the boundary. It woukd reduce risk and make the room better

It also takes valuable playing time and practice reps from Christian Watson and Romeo Doubs.  

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

Could all come down to what we get out of Watkins and Watson. I know people have higher expectations for Lazard but I'll believe it when I see it with him. He's still a role player imo.

At the end of the day, it's going to likely come down to a combination of production rather then any single individual.  There were only 3 (Ja'Marr Chase, Kyle Pitts, and Jaylen Waddle) 1,000+ yard receivers and additional 2 (DeVonta Smith and Amon-Ra St. Brown) 900 yard receivers.  #6 was Elijah Moore at 538 receiving yards. The top 5 rookie WRs averaged 120 targets per game, and DeVonta Smith was the low man at 104 targets.  I just don't see Rodgers throwing 100+ balls at Christian Watson and Romeo Doubs.

3 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

But again, there's no guarantee there will be at least one of them healthy.  What happens if they're healthy for the first five games and the last three?  There's still those 9 games in the middle?  Julio is probably holding himself out of the market because he's probably asking for too much.

Looking up and down the roster I really feel comfy, but a few notes. 

Possibly an OL of Balh turns into a big issue, though in doubting (hoping?) it won't be? Otherwise we're all good there. 

If we can find a scheme fit vet wr to fight with Watkins I'm cool with that, but not too pushed either way. Watkins strikes me as a guy who'll see some snaps early and fade off as Watson, Doubs and maybe even Toure or Amari come along. If they blow up early, he might not even be here by week as I am 1. 

A vet min edge rusher who can get some pressure ala Mercilus wouldn't hurt, but I expect we'll see a bit of Quay there to get his athleticism ion the field and have a strange good feeling about Kingsley. Garvin gets some talk, but I was more impressed with Gileia in his limited time last year. Neither are stars but I think we have enough to rotate there if notobdy comes available. 

What I would like though is someone in the secondary: a safety/slot guy specifically. Doesn't have to be anything special, but having someone with 3-7 years of 250+ snaps who can be 'just ok' as insurance would really help me sleep easier - I also think letting Henry black go was a big mistake depth wise. And while some may balk at it, if they're still there preseason and will take bet min money I could happily get on board with King or Josh Jackson as a 'outplay me if you want to be the 4th guy on the boundary' type for the udfas etc to fight with I think could be quite astute. I just don't want to see all this investment g r etnundkne by Will Redmonds and Ladarius Gunthers I. The event of an injury crisis. 

15 hours ago, Billy86 said:

What I would like though is someone in the secondary: a safety/slot guy specifically. Doesn't have to be anything special, but having someone with 3-7 years of 250+ snaps who can be 'just ok' as insurance would really help me sleep easier - I also think letting Henry black go was a big mistake depth wise. And while some may balk at it, if they're still there preseason and will take bet min money I could happily get on board with King or Josh Jackson as a 'outplay me if you want to be the 4th guy on the boundary' type for the udfas etc to fight with I think could be quite astute. I just don't want to see all this investment g r etnundkne by Will Redmonds and Ladarius Gunthers I. The event of an injury crisis. 

The fact that GB hasn't added King or another vet corner tells me that they like what they have in the young kids behind the big 3.

I'm a solid no to King just because of specials.  It isn't that he won't do them, it is that he is going to get injured doing them.  Wouldn't shock me to see GB grab him in camp if someone goes down.  It does make some sense.