The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

12 minutes ago, FloydFan said:

I obviously love Hooker, but you take him in the second round. In no way do you take him in the first. Even I will be irate if they do that. 

If you view him as a potential franchise level QB you probably have to trade back up into the late first to land him so you can get that 5th year option.

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

If you view him as a potential franchise level QB you probably have to trade back up into the late first to land him so you can get that 5th year option.

True and that I can get behind, but not in the top 10. That’s crazy talk. 

Edited by FloydFan

19 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

After a horrible predraft process Boutte might go 5th round. I'd definitely take a flier there.

I'm intrigued by Matt Landers late in the draft. 

6'5" 200, 4.37s forty, 37" vert, 130" broad, 4.34s shuttle, 6.72s 3-cone 

Started at UGA but hardly played, transferred to Toledo and played pretty well (20/514/2), and then finally ended up at Arkansas where he had his best year (47/901/8). 

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

After a horrible predraft process Boutte might go 5th round. I'd definitely take a flier there.

That might be the wildest story ever…. He was in a bunch of players and a coach who ran a train on recruiting coordinator.  Talk about a dysfunctional system down there.

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

I'm intrigued by Matt Landers late in the draft. 

6'5" 200, 4.37s forty, 37" vert, 130" broad, 4.34s shuttle, 6.72s 3-cone 

Started at UGA but hardly played, transferred to Toledo and played pretty well (20/514/2), and then finally ended up at Arkansas where he had his best year (47/901/8). 

Those numbers are nuts

• Like 1

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Not really.... NFL offenses use spread concepts sure. But  Huepel's offense works because of the wider hashes in college. It creates a ton of space, then you rely on defensive players to make a mistake. Works until a top defense like Georgia comes along and doesn't make mistakes in coverage.

If you watch Hooker, he reads one side of the field. Often times, players on the other side of the field don't even move. QB just has to read one side and throw. 

Meh situational plays depending on defenses being played. Using decoys is a nfl thing also they even talked about it with that short fast wr we just got in fa. Again he still has to make the  throws and work the pocket. I understand the hash mark factor but at the end of the day for qbs it’s still can you complete a pass consistently and lead a group of men.

behind stroud and Bryce he’s my #3 qb this year followed by ar

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Drew Sanders pro day numbers

6'3" 236

4.59s forty (82nd percentile)

118" broad (57th percentile) 

37" vertical (82nd percentile)

4.38s 20-yard shuttle (29th percentile)

7.15s 3-cone drill (45th percentile)

that 4.6 pro day speed explains everything 

As much as I like Will Levis, taking him in round #1 gives up on Christian Gonzalez.  That ain't gonna happen.

If Hendon Hooker is available at #39 I'd take him.  He is as smart as Young-Stroud and better than average in arm strength, accuracy, and evasiveness.  (My mocks say this will cost me an upgrade at DE.  I can live with that.)

I can live with Jimmy G.  The defense needs serious attention.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Meh situational plays depending on defenses being played. Using decoys is a nfl thing also they even talked about it with that short fast wr we just got in fa. Again he still has to make the  throws and work the pocket. I understand the hash mark factor but at the end of the day for qbs it’s still can you complete a pass consistently and lead a group of men.

That's fine if you believe that, for every QB.

But many people think reading defenses is important, and they are NOT dragging Hooker for it. Why not?

It's inconsistent. 

16 minutes ago, massraider said:

That's fine if you believe that, for every QB.

But many people think reading defenses is important, and they are NOT dragging Hooker for it. Why not?

It's inconsistent. 

Because even if Hooker’s offense is simple he was still able to do his job as a passer in it at an elite level. Richardson was not. The traits that make Hooker a strong QB are different than Richardson and Levis and that’s fine, but some people have preferences that go one way or another in this situation. 

• Like 1