The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I think Davis is ok at qb losing mechie hurt them but it was a wash year for them anyway Imo 

Don't wanna get too far into it since it doesn't mean much for our draft really, but yeah, if it were up to me, Mills would get another year to show what he's got. 

He hasn't been a total disaster despite:

Two one-and-done HCs everyone knew were lame ducks. 

Virtually no talent on offense. 

A defense that was little more than a speed bump. 

*Probably* an unofficial mandate by the organization to tank as much as possible, regardless of whether they wound up with pick 1, 2, or 3, given the additional picks already acquired, especially once it was apparent Cleveland's pick was going to be pretty valuable as well.

Maybe Mills is who he is. But he looked every bit as decent as Mac Jones and Trevor Lawrence as rookies, and both may just be better than him, but it's hard to overlook the considerably better situations both enjoy as well. 

Like I said, I wouldn't fault Houston for taking a QB. I get the draw to doing so. But I don't think it's an automatic indictment of Mills. As a coach, with a QB like that, I'd be worried about taking a big name QB and him somehow just flat out being beaten out by Mills. That would be a rough start to explain. 

Wonder if they'd consider making Mills available if they go QB? I'd love to have the guy behind Jimmy for a year of we forego QB. Seems like he's just stuck in a bad situation for advancement. 

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

Ryans is a defensive coach and their defense needs talent. Be a bad look for the defense to look horrible. Will Anderson and Stingley would be a nice building blocks. They could then see if Levis drops to 12. If not, they can just roll one more year of Davis Mills and get another defensive stud. Their offense is on the rise, Dalton Shultz was a big pickup. Nico Collins might be breaking out into a star, watch out for him in fantasy. Metchie is coming back and was highly regarded, Woods is alright vet starting WR. Pierce looked like a beast as a rookie, Singletary one of the better RB2 in the league. Their OL is solid. Maybe it all clicks for Davis Mills with a better team around him. 

No no they should swing for the fences and take AR 15. Yall pimping Davis Mills is hilarious 

30 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

our 6 wins we averaged 31.5 points. . . but in 3 we got D Tds.
Our lowest win was 22points against Den, (no D tds), which id argue is at least mid scoring (especially against Den D)

Id say, we did not win 1 low scoring game. The D scoring def helped in our wins though. 
The average game in 2022 was 43.4 points, so 22 points isnt really low. Def not high, but not low

Huh were talking about the 49’s

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Gonna be interesting still not sold 100% on Bryce and if he can survive 

If I was Houston I would go Will Anderson and then Myles Murphy/Lukas Van Ness.... that would be one of the best 1-2 edge pass rush. Adding Rankins to be that DT, Christian Harris to anchor the LBs, and have Stingley/Pitre anchoring the DBs..Then you have solid vets around the young core in Jimmie Ward, Desmond King, Perryman, Maliek Collins. Suddenly that defense is talented. 

Edited by Humble_Beast

23 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

Yall got your own fairytale agendas to think Hou should pass on a QB 

This forum never actually puts themselves as a fan of that team or GM of that team. Houston has it made right now. I love DeMeco Ryans. Great hire. They have the #2 pick in the draft and can get easily a Top 10 NFL QB in Young or Stroud (if developed right). Both are Day One Starters. It’s a terrific EDGE class.. Van Ness or Nolan Smith or Myles Murphy at 12 would be a great pick. Load up on WR throughout the draft. Jacksonville and Houston are going to take over that division for a long time. Texans would be complete fools to pass on Bryce. 

With that said, I have Richardson slightly over Bryce. But if I’m Houston I still go Bryce. They don’t need to take the risk. 

• Like 1