The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

2 minutes ago, FloydFan said:

One of the best leaders to come through the UT program in a very long time. That may be my favorite quality about him that’s a non physical factor. Guys loved playing with him. 

Very  underrated trait. I think why throws people off is the UT offense , his age + ACL injury. It’s not like UT offense is an option, run n Shoot or wing T. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, FloydFan said:

One of the best leaders to come through the UT program in a very long time. That may be my favorite quality about him that’s a non physical factor. Guys loved playing with him. 

That’s where the age is a positive thing. Hooker could be looked at as more mature 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

Very  underrated trait. I think why throws people off is the UT offense , his age + ACL injury. It’s not like UT offense is an option, run n Shoot or wing T. 

Exactly. People over play the offensive concern. It’s nowhere near the gimmick offense they want to make it out to be. Like I absolutely get concerns about injury and age. That’s valid, but the offense one I just don’t agree with. It’s not as simple as folks make it out to be and when you have Hyatt running fifty yards down the field wide open as your number one read every other play you’re gonna chuck it up to him. 

Edited by FloydFan

11 minutes ago, FloydFan said:

Exactly. People over play the offensive concern. It’s nowhere near the gimmick offense they want to make it out to be. Like I absolutely get concerns about injury and age. That’s valid, but the offense one I just don’t agree with. It’s not as simple as folks make it out to be and when you have Hyatt running fifty yards down the field wide open as your number one read every other play you’re gonna chuck it up to him. 

I don't think it's overplayed. That system is heavy on play action and the Hooker only had to read one side of the field. There are plays where the receivers on the opposite side take the play off completely. He's reading one side and making a pre-determined throws.

Against a talent Georgia defense that pressured him, took away his basic reads and made him play QB, he had no answers. Ran around.

His productions was completely elevated by this offense. Playing half the field, basic high low reads and banking on poor college players breaking discipline. Same system that fooled everyone on Drew Lock who has a much better arm. 

I like his intangibles. But an older player off an ACL, gimmicky stat producing offense. Let someone else fall for that trap. 

• Like 2

My opinion on QB..... 

QBOTF is a need, but unless one of the top guys fall to you at 7, please wait a year. 

Nobody in this class past the top guys is going to get you closer to Mahomes and Herbert in the division. I'm confident in saying that. 

Please, please don't waste a pick on some mid-QB with no real franchise future just because you "need" a QB. 

If you are not swinging for a franchise level guy, it's not worth it in my view. Wait until 2024 and go get your guy when the roster is hopefully trending up. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

My opinion on QB..... 

QBOTF is a need, but unless one of the top guys fall to you at 7, please wait a year. 

Nobody in this class past the top guys is going to get you closer to Mahomes and Herbert in the division. I'm confident in saying that. 

Please, please don't waste a pick on some mid-QB with no real franchise future just because you "need" a QB. 

If you are not swinging for a franchise level guy, it's not worth it in my view. Wait until 2024 and go get your guy when the roster is hopefully trending up. 

I agree hopefully that’s the reasoning behind the Hoyer signing. If someone falls we take him if not we don’t need to force a pick on a QB.

I don’t mind taking a punt in the later rounds 5-7. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Jake Haener and DTR are my late round QBS. Both slept on 

Haener - Small, weak arm. 33% completion percentage deep outside the numbers. That won't cut it in the NFL. Has the mentality and workman ship, but the dudes a gritty backup.  

DTR - He's the 2023 trendy dual threat sleeper QB who actually sucks. 5 year starter and still played like a high school QB, erratic, bailing out of the pockets and not protecting the ball. He only moderately developed under Chip Kelly in 5 years. No reason to expect him a big jump coming up on age 24. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dessie said:

That would be reaching imo. Due to the lack of personnel we are ignoring a top end TE to get a body at LB, I can’t get behind that logic. 

Again If a guard is higher on our board, passing on them just to get a DT or LB because we are short in that position isn’t a great strategy. In your scenario what if Avila isn’t there at #70? We miss out on a guard because we have reached for defensive options. 

Id rather be flexible in the draft to ensure we get good prospects rather than reaching for need.

But you not reaching for a defensive guy unless he has a 4th round grade. That's the point we trying to make where you think there will be an offensive player worth taking there will be defensive players with similar grades because defense is so deep unless the offensive player in question has really fell down the board. I know we are not experts but I've done so many Mocks I feel like I know where the heart of this draft is, I just don't see some super dynamic offensive guy falling that going to be graded above all the defensive talent. For example at 38 do you think a Guard should be picked there? You'd have an argument if Skoronski fell to 38 but it won't happen, and I know what you are trying to say but the guards after that are late 2nd 3rd rounders.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

But you not reaching for a defensive guy unless he has a 4th round grade. That's the point we trying to make where you think there will be an offensive player worth taking there will be defensive players with similar grades because defense is so deep unless the offensive player in question has really fell down the board. I know we are not experts but I've done so many Mocks I feel like I know where the heart of this draft is, I just don't see some super dynamic offensive guy falling that going to be graded above all the defensive talent. For example at 38 do you think a Guard should be picked there? You'd have an argument if Skoronski fell to 38 but it won't happen, and I know what you are trying to say but the guards after that are late 2nd 3rd rounders.

The example given was choosing Pace, Overshown over Musgrave in the 3rd round, you think that’s not reaching ? 

6 minutes ago, Dessie said:

The example given was choosing Pace, Overshown over Musgrave in the 3rd round, you think that’s not reaching ? 

All I can tell you is go look at some player rankings and look at all the defensive players with similar grades to Musgrave it would be really hard to reach unless you actually reach for someone who is a 4th rounder or 5th rounder your argument is we might pass on top offensive players to reac for defensive players, I'm saying that's really hard to do unless you just pull a Gruden.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

I don't think it's overplayed. That system is heavy on play action and the Hooker only had to read one side of the field. There are plays where the receivers on the opposite side take the play off completely. He's reading one side and making a pre-determined throws.

Against a talent Georgia defense that pressured him, took away his basic reads and made him play QB, he had no answers. Ran around.

His productions was completely elevated by this offense. Playing half the field, basic high low reads and banking on poor college players breaking discipline. Same system that fooled everyone on Drew Lock who has a much better arm. 

I like his intangibles. But an older player off an ACL, gimmicky stat producing offense. Let someone else fall for that trap. 

To be fair a ton of the offense was injured in that Georgia game and also come on it’s Georgia. Who played well against that defense not named CJ Stroud? I think you’re drastically underestimating the complexity of the UT system. I can’t claim to know the future, but Hendon checks a hell of a lot more boxes when it comes to actually playing QB than AR and Levis along with having a great physical makeup for the position. We can talk about offensive system and what not, but you still have to hit open receivers, something those two didn’t do. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dessie said:

Some later rounds guys I like. 

DT - Jalen Richmond 

Edge - Villiami Fehoko

LB - Mohamoud Diabate 

CB - Riley Moss

S - Anthony Johnson Iowa 

Fehoko intrigues me. I get the level of comp wasn't great, but neither were his teammates, and dude dominated pretty often. Not to draw high comparisons, but Crosby didn't exactly face the cream of the crop either so.... I'd 100% endorse a day 3 pick on Fehoko. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FloydFan said:

It would not surprise me at all. I get the red flags dealing with age and injury but honestly I think he has the potential to be a top ten QB in the league. I’ll be rooting for the kid wherever he goes (except if it’s the AFC West). 

If he never gets injured he'd be in the argument for #1 QB and the only argument would be system.

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

My opinion on QB..... 

Meh you should still draft someone mid draft you never know.