Eagles 2022 Personnel Moves - Former Colts OC brought in as consultant

Kiltman

seemed like he was gone no matter what.

Anytime you lose top people you have to wonder if it’s secretly good or going to be very bad. I liked that Howie had a football guy there to bounce stuff off of. But he was Joe’s guy. I wonder if there are better option out there to be that guy.

This gives them the rare opportunity to total reshape that structure if they so chose. I think having a formal number 2 would be good to cap the people leaving. 

I’ll merge this to the personnel thread after a couple days, 

2 hours ago, Broadway Joe said:

We are in a similar position as teams with a defensive HC getting their promising OC hired for other job.

We have a GM who's not a football guy who constantly gets his football people hired away. 

While this is true, Howies not the only GM in that category.  The fact so many are getting poached away is not only a testimate to the quality of the people he's hiring themselves but other Organizations/Owners wanting to follow or recreate the Eagles model of doing things.

Get the GM, VP, ect... in place to build the proper culture needed throughout the FO who can then trickle down to hiring the right coaching staff, players and personnel. 

Just sucks (for now) that the league isn't compensating teams who consistently get poached for FO roles. Any form of Comp picks like with FA lost should be rewarded. 

3 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

Can you guys at least remember the flowers being thrown at Howie in a couple years when you want to chase him out of Philly? 

I don’t think I’ve ever necessarily wanted to chase him out of Philly. After the SB he did get too attached to some of our own players and made some mistakes with early picks in 2019 and 2020 drafts. I don’t think we started to realize how great that 2018 draft was until this year really. The signs were showing in 2020 with Sweat and Mailata coming along, but really the only one we knew for sure was a really good player was Goedert at the time. Fast forward through the 2021 season and Mailata is one of the best LTs in football, Maddox was one of the better slot corners, and Sweat was definitely our best pass rusher. Howie definitely deserved some criticism for the previous 2 years and how everything blew up in 2020, but like I said even back then there was a lot of blame to go around Howie to Carson to Doug. Again sticking with the theme of injuries ravaging the team the years following the SB our OL was decimated that year and we didn’t have weapons besides TE which does fall on Howie. I know Doug and the coaches supposedly wanted Reagor, but Howie still has final call.

With all that said, as far as injury problems he brought in new medical staff and a director of sports performance in Ted Rath from the Rams who had been probably the healthiest team in the league and still are. Rath won the award for Strength Coach of the Year in 2017. He also brought Tom Hunkele back as director of sports medicine. He was previously on the Eagles for the early Reid years from 2000-2005 as a physical therapist/assistant athletic trainer before being hired away by the Vikings and spending 13 years there from 2006-2019 as the coordinator of rehabilitation where he was part of a staff that won Athletic Training staff of the year in 2017 and he was named Assistant Athletic Trainer of the Year in 2019. We saw the changes the Eagles did in the off-season with shorter practices and eliminating some OTAs and just giving veterans rest days here and there which is all something I believe the Rams have done. We’ll see how 2022 goes with injuries, but what we saw last year was very promising.

As far as draft philosophy I believe he made adjustments there too. From 2019 and 2020 he took Dillard (who I still think can be a solid starting LT), JJAW, and Reagor. All players that came from weaker conferences and almost avoiding the SEC that faces the best competition at least early in drafts. I’m not saying we shouldn’t take players from those conferences, but it’s obvious after passing on guys like Metcalf and Jefferson the previous 2 years he switched it up as he has now taken 4 SEC players in the first 3 rounds (Smith, Dickerson, Davis, and Dean) the past 2 drafts including both first round picks. Not only SEC players, but National Champions. 

I get that are some on here who have been more critical of Roseman than I have and you are talking to those people, but GMs and HCs do need to be evaluated year for year. If they are a pretty good to great GM then they get leeway for a bad draft every once in a while or a mistake with a FA pick up, so if Howie stinks it up the next 2 years and makes huge blunders which cause us to go backwards then his status would have to be revisited, but for now everything he’s done since firing Pederson and trading Wentz has been nothing short of brilliant, so I’m not sure why your question/remark is necessary.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kiltman said:

I’ll merge this to the personnel thread after a couple days

Yeah, I just made this it’s own thread, because I figured people wouldn’t click on the Front Office thread if I just threw it in there. Not to mention while Raiche, Brown and Cunningham are all up and comers it was Weidl who was basically 2nd in command under Roseman after Douglas left. I think everyone had been waiting for this news to drop to see if he was leaving as well. But, yeah for sure merging the threads in a couple days makes sense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I don’t think I’ve ever necessarily wanted to chase him out of Philly. After the SB he did get too attached to some of our own players and made some mistakes with early picks in 2019 and 2020 drafts. I don’t think we started to realize how great that 2018 draft was until this year really. The signs were showing in 2020 with Sweat and Mailata coming along, but really the only one we knew for sure was a really good player was Goedert at the time. Fast forward through the 2021 season and Mailata is one of the best LTs in football, Maddox was one of the better slot corners, and Sweat was definitely our best pass rusher. Howie definitely deserved some criticism for the previous 2 years and how everything blew up in 2020, but like I said even back then there was a lot of blame to go around Howie to Carson to Doug. Again sticking with the theme of injuries ravaging the team the years following the SB our OL was decimated that year and we didn’t have weapons besides TE which does fall on Howie. I know Doug and the coaches supposedly wanted Reagor, but Howie still has final call.

With all that said, as far as injury problems he brought in new medical staff and a director of sports performance in Ted Rath from the Rams who had been probably the healthiest team in the league and still are. Rath won the award for Strength Coach of the Year in 2017. He also brought Tom Hunkele back as director of sports medicine. He was previously on the Eagles for the early Reid years from 2000-2005 as a physical therapist/assistant athletic trainer before being hired away by the Vikings and spending 13 years there from 2006-2019 as the coordinator of rehabilitation where he was part of a staff that won Athletic Training staff of the year in 2017 and he was named Assistant Athletic Trainer of the Year in 2019. We saw the changes the Eagles did in the off-season with shorter practices and eliminating some OTAs and just giving veterans rest days here and there which is all something I believe the Rams have done. We’ll see how 2022 goes with injuries, but what we saw last year was very promising.

As far as draft philosophy I believe he made adjustments there too. From 2019 and 2020 he took Dillard (who I still think can be a solid starting LT), JJAW, and Reagor. All players that came from weaker conferences and almost avoiding the SEC that faces the best competition at least early in drafts. I’m not saying we shouldn’t take players from those conferences, but it’s obvious after passing on guys like Metcalf and Jefferson the previous 2 years he switched it up as he has now taken 4 SEC players in the first 3 rounds (Smith, Dickerson, Davis, and Dean) the past 2 drafts including both first round picks. Not only SEC players, but National Champions. 

I get that are some on here who have been more critical of Roseman than I have and you are talking to those people, but GMs and HCs do need to be evaluated year for year. If they are a pretty good to great GM then they get leeway for a bad draft every once in a while or a mistake with a FA pick up, so if Howie stinks it up the next 2 years and makes huge blunders which cause us to go backwards then his status would have to be revisited, but for now everything he’s done since firing Pederson and trading Wentz has been nothing short of brilliant, so I’m not sure why your question/remark is necessary.

It’s necessary because I chose to post it. And if you revisit any of those fire Howie threads, it’s full of terrible knee jerk takes. So yea, when I say in two years, if/when he falters, please remember the good moves he’s making. When you find a guy that, in the most part, knows what he’s doing, I think it’s important to keep that guy around. Is Howie perfect, of course not. He has his shortcomings. And for the most part, it’s the draft. Which is a proven crapshoot. But he’s shown, again, that he can rebound and get on track fairly easy. I don’t want to anoint this team as a playoff perennial but it’s sure looking that way currently. We’ll be at least neck and neck with the best in the East. For a guy to basically have the franchise turned upside down twice and and to rescue it in very short order along with winning a SB in the last 8 years or so is a master stroke comparatively to 90% of the NFL. Giants are lost, Commanders have been lost, Cowboys window is more closed yearly. Howie is sitting pretty. I recognize the NFL is a year to year league but he’s putting some groundwork in to having another really strong run just a couple years after losing our “franchise QB”. So, when it’s time to criticize Howie, who I agree, has deserved some, remember the times he’s flourished. Dude has a bad year in a “rebuild” setting and the executioner starts getting called. In such an imperfect science as running a football team is, he’s been one of the better GMs in the league. Maybe he’s deserved some benefit of the doubt. Maybe he’ll get it next time a couple moves don’t work out. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

And if you revisit any of those fire Howie threads, it’s full of terrible knee jerk takes.

Like I said I wasn’t one of those, but admitted that there was a lot of that to which you were speaking of. I just thought you were being a Debbie downer and acting as if we’ll be calling for his head for sure in a couple years, but obviously with you expounding on it that wasn’t your intent and you do have a fair point that if he has a mistake or two next year that he should have some rope with people based on these past two offseasons.

When you find a guy that, in the most part, knows what he’s doing, I think it’s important to keep that guy around. Is Howie perfect, of course not. He has his shortcomings. And for the most part, it’s the draft. Which is a proven crapshoot.

Won’t get any arguments from me there. Again I’ve always been a pretty big fan of Howie besides some early round selections. He’s always been fantastic with contracts, trades and FA for the most part at least after those mistakes with handing out huge multi year deals to like Asomugha and Maxwell. Now, Howie really gives 3 year deals for his “bigger” contracts and usually they aren’t even THAT big. He doesn’t get desperate any more. 

I don’t want to anoint this team as a playoff perennial but it’s sure looking that way currently. We’ll be at least neck and neck with the best in the East.

Yeah, I mean he’s set up his new young coaching staff and young QB who wasn’t supposed to be the starter right now about as well as you could’ve asked for. I still don’t think we have a great cap situation for probably another 2 years, so we are gonna have to make smart smaller FA signings and continue to draft well like I think we have the past 2 years. Luckily he set us up with 3 picks in the first 2 rounds in 2023 and 2024. If Hurts takes a good step this season as a thrower we are set up pretty well to be that perennial playoff contender we want to be.

For a guy to basically have the franchise turned upside down twice and and to rescue it in very short order along with winning a SB in the last 8 years or so is a master stroke comparatively to 90% of the NFL.

No doubt. Howie has gone through his fair share of head coaches/rebuilds, but the Andy tenure was getting to a point where I think the parting was good for both sides. I understood the hire of Chip Kelly. I think that failing was more on Kelly’s lack of adapting his scheme and adjusting to coaching grown men. I think it was smart for Lurie to give full control of the roster to Chip like his ego demanded, cause in short order he showed he isn’t half the GM that Howie is… that Murray signing still makes my blood boil. After Chip was given the boot… Doug was brought in which was a very questioned hire, but Howie did a good job of surrounding him with great assistants. Schwartz was a known good DC. Reich wasn’t held in high esteem by Chargers fans when we brought him in, but we know how instrumental he was. DeFilippo was a huge get as QB coach as well and actually kept Carson in line and gave him tough coaching unlike Press. We know how that ultimately turned out with a SB in year 2. Injuries like I said in the previous post completely derailed those following seasons leading up to Pederson’s firing. I don’t think Doug is a bad coach. He’s a great players coach, but I think having a good offensive brain trust around him those first couple years really helped him. Then he brings in Sirianni when it seemed like no one wanted the job and we saw the job he did in year 1. I think not only Gannon, but also Sirianni had their ups and downs in their first year ever calling plays. That is to be expected though. I’m excited for their potential growth in year 2. 

• After firing Reid following a 4-12 (last place) season we brought in Kelly in 2013 and went 10-6 (first place).
  • Fired Kelly after a 7-9 (second place) season and followed it by hiring Pederson and again going 7-9 (last place), but the next year won the SB going 13-3 (first in conference).
  • Lastly, we fired Pederson and traded our “franchise QB” after what was one of the most disastrous seasons in recent memory all around going 4-11-1  (last place) to hiring Sirianni and going 9-8 (second place) along with a wildcard birth. And, let’s be honest last years roster wasn’t that great and we forfeited that last game of the season that could’ve got us to double digit wins.

Not many general managers gets an opportunity with that many head coaches, but he has shown he has an impeccable record of bouncing back after a failed season and moving on from a head coach. That really is an underrated aspect that doesn’t get brought up a lot.

44 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

Giants are lost, Commanders have been lost, Cowboys window is more closed yearly. Howie is sitting pretty. I recognize the NFL is a year to year league but he’s putting some groundwork in to having another really strong run just a couple years after losing our “franchise QB”. So, when it’s time to criticize Howie, who I agree, has deserved some, remember the times he’s flourished. Dude has a bad year in a “rebuild” setting and the executioner starts getting called. In such an imperfect science as running a football team is, he’s been one of the better GMs in the league. Maybe he’s deserved some benefit of the doubt. Maybe he’ll get it next time a couple moves don’t work out. 

Well said and I’m glad I responded to that post cause I wasn’t sure where that comment was really intending to do. I hope he does get benefit of the doubt for hiccups if he does have them in 2023 or 2024, but really I hope he keeps rolling like he has been these past couple years, cause if he keeps this up we are gonna be a problem going forward in the 2020s. I’d love to have a decade like the 2000s with Andy with Nick where we are in constant contention just hopefully with another SB win. 🤞🏻

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

What do we have to do to get compensation from now on? Label them all GMs or something? 

They could name them all Asst GM - Personnel / College / Pro.

That way they can’t leave unless it’s for a GM job.

Howie’s best bet is to get the league to add a 5th comp for lower positions, because he doesn’t want a true #2.

40 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

They could name them all Asst GM - Personnel / College / Pro.

That way they can’t leave unless it’s for a GM job.

Howie’s best bet is to get the league to add a 5th comp for lower positions, because he doesn’t want a true #2.

I guess double edge sword. These guys aren’t going to want to agree to be a “fake” AGM because that would hinder them getting hired for better positions elsewhere but Howie’s going to keep getting poached without any repercussion.