Steelers DL Stephon Tuitt retiring

RaidersAreOne

12 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Or. Hear me out.... maybe just MAYBE some of us fans sympathize for him because we realize that real life is more important than our jobs and certainly more than football.

That is a personal decision for Tuitt to make. Free to do it, as stated. And since the Steelers allowed it, he's free to cash those checks. But I'm free to judge.

13 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

So you don't know if he was going to play or not? That's interesting because maybe he didn't either.

He sold his house in Pittsburgh in the middle of last season. He resumed working to finish his degree at Notre Dame. So yea, we can't confirm with 100% certainty what he knew and when he knew it, but all the tea leaves say that yes - he intended to end his career. You know, you can retire and unretire at anytime. Tuitt decided to keep collecting the money.

It was dubious whether he was really ever hurt last year to be on IR in the first place. Rumors that he was completely out of shape. He definitely recovered in time to play and decided not to. Again, HIS choice to keep cashing those checks.

Here's a guy I respect who know one probably remembers - Jason Worilds. Guy who got to the end of his rookie contract, had a break out season, was hitting FA and set to be paid. His heart wasn't in it. 9/10 players would have signed and coasted for a year, maybe faked some injuries and strung things along collecting as much money as they could. Instead, he retired on his own terms and went on pursue his passions.

• Like 1

And I'm kind of tired of "1ts jUsT f0otbul1 tho!" crowd. I'm going to wager there's a high degree of crossover between those who cry for blood from athletes who make mistakes like getting arrested and those who trivialize the profession when it comes to something like this. These guys are suddenly role models and it's all super serious that we make an example out of them. This is a job that pays millions of dollars. It is a privilege to play the game. No one is obligated to play it, but it is most definitely a privilege for those that do. And that comes with some responsibilities, as I see it.

Now, I'll also get straight to another point - I DO NOT have much sympathy for someone collecting $14 million who can't get back to work but who chooses to keep collecting money. So whether he knew he was going to retire or not is really irrelevant to me, though again - the evidence indicates he did know. We are talking about someone who, either way, engaged in blatantly unethical behavior.

There are miserable, lousy jobs in this country that pay practically nothing that entail not just dealing with tragedy on a regular basis, but doing so with the expectation that you continue to perform at a high level. These people get very little real attention or sympathy in their daily lives from the general populace. They are not privileged. If tragedy occurs, they might get a few days to mourn. They might not get anything. In most of our lives, we get a few days and we are expected to soldier forward and keep living and doing our jobs. The rather immature notion was expressed above that maybe we should all get the privilege Tuitt enjoys. Wouldn't that swell! I guess in a fairytale world where people had no responsibilities, sure. In real life, I do not have sympathy for someone who spends the better part of a year either wallowing in their own self-pity while collecting massive paychecks or who games the system/compassion of others so that they can. I can sympathize with people going through  loss, depression, and other issues. I can't abide 

There's a saying that I think sums things up for me. Soft men create hard times, hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, and good times create soft men. It is readily apparent to me when people rush over themselves to defend a guy like Tuitt where we are at as a society.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

There's a saying that I think sums things up for me. Soft men create hard times, hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, and good times create soft men. It is readily apparent to me when people rush over themselves to defend a guy like Tuitt where we are at as a society.

For the love of God take this buffoonery elsewhere.

Discuss football or don't post. This thread is to discuss Tuitt's retirement and its affects on the Steelers and/or the NFL. Not to make statements about fanbases, fellow users, and especially not society as a whole.

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

For the love of God take this buffoonery elsewhere.

Discuss football or don't post. This thread is to discuss Tuitt's retirement and its affects on the Steelers and/or the NFL. Not to make statements about fanbases, fellow users, and especially not society as a whole.

I do love when moderators who routinely allow topics to go astray selectively jump in when they disagree with a take on a situation. That is always amusing to me because people use their football posts around here to draw wider conclusions that stray from football all the time around here. They give their opinions on the morality of players behavior on the regular and you say nothing the majority of the time. If someone were attacking cole Beasley right now for not getting the jab because of the science, you would and have routinely turned a blind eye to it. Just on concrete example.

But, Ok.  I'll keep it more focused on the FOOTBALL! I think Tuitt sets a really poor example for how other NFL players should handle their business. It was wrong to seal those paychecks. The Steelers Super Bowl chances went from 1/1000000 to 1/100000000 now without him, too.

Edited by CKSteeler

9 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

The Steelers Super Bowl chances went from 1/1000000 to 1/100000000 now without him, too.

How do you think the Steelers replace him in their scheme as 5T moving forward? Do you think Wormley or Leal is up for the task?

7 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

I do love when moderators who routinely allow topics to go astray selectively jump in when they disagree with a take on a situation. That is always amusing to me because people use their football posts around here to draw wider conclusions that stray from football all the time around here. They give their opinions on the morality of players behavior on the regular and you say nothing the majority of the time. If someone were attacking cole Beasley right now for not getting the jab because of the science, you would and have routinely turned a blind eye to it. Just on concrete example.

This has nothing to do with it. I draw the line at attacking other members. You were fine before the post I quoted.

But, Ok.  I'll keep it more focused on the FOOTBALL!

Good. Thank you.

• Like 1

Kind of a surprise but they do have some replacements there already.

Chris Wormley is already a proven dude, Loudermilk has very good upside and ideal size for the position, then they have Carlos Davis who has potential as well.  Then DeMarvin Leal is the wild card, that dude could be a super star and is one outstanding pass rusher.  So four options there and one will hit no question, still Leal could be a monster as a pass rusher and plays with great power and leverage.  He was an absolute steal in the 3rd round.

They also have Daniel Archibong who has great size and good potential as well, I liked him a lot coming out of Temple for a 3/4 D.  

10 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

And I'm kind of tired of "1ts jUsT f0otbul1 tho!" crowd. I'm going to wager there's a high degree of crossover between those who cry for blood from athletes who make mistakes like getting arrested and those who trivialize the profession when it comes to something like this. These guys are suddenly role models and it's all super serious that we make an example out of them. This is a job that pays millions of dollars. It is a privilege to play the game. No one is obligated to play it, but it is most definitely a privilege for those that do. And that comes with some responsibilities, as I see it.

Now, I'll also get straight to another point - I DO NOT have much sympathy for someone collecting $14 million who can't get back to work but who chooses to keep collecting money. So whether he knew he was going to retire or not is really irrelevant to me, though again - the evidence indicates he did know. We are talking about someone who, either way, engaged in blatantly unethical behavior.

There are miserable, lousy jobs in this country that pay practically nothing that entail not just dealing with tragedy on a regular basis, but doing so with the expectation that you continue to perform at a high level. These people get very little real attention or sympathy in their daily lives from the general populace. They are not privileged. If tragedy occurs, they might get a few days to mourn. They might not get anything. In most of our lives, we get a few days and we are expected to soldier forward and keep living and doing our jobs. The rather immature notion was expressed above that maybe we should all get the privilege Tuitt enjoys. Wouldn't that swell! I guess in a fairytale world where people had no responsibilities, sure. In real life, I do not have sympathy for someone who spends the better part of a year either wallowing in their own self-pity while collecting massive paychecks or who games the system/compassion of others so that they can. I can sympathize with people going through  loss, depression, and other issues. I can't abide 

Imagine being this upset about money that's not yours. You should go speak to a therapist

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Kind of a surprise but they do have some replacements there already.

Chris Wormley is already a proven dude, Loudermilk has very good upside and ideal size for the position, then they have Carlos Davis who has potential as well.  Then DeMarvin Leal is the wild card, that dude could be a super star and is one outstanding pass rusher.  So four options there and one will hit no question, still Leal could be a monster as a pass rusher and plays with great power and leverage.  He was an absolute steal in the 3rd round.

They also have Daniel Archibong who has great size and good potential as well, I liked him a lot coming out of Temple for a 3/4 D.  

I would run right at him to make him prove he is as invested in stopping the run as he is rushing the passer

2 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I would run right at him to make him prove he is as invested in stopping the run as he is rushing the passer

Sure but either way to get a guy like that who has 1st round potential in the 3rd round in a steal, especially with Tuitt out, and he fits the position and it is just an ideal place for him and I would not be surprised if he plays very well.  A&M has had a solid DL the last two seasons and one could argue Leal was the best one on both those teams and helped free up guys last year and the year before to make more plays.  

13 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

I honestly kind of forgot that, so he sat out all last year?  That is kind of BS if he was healthy but not sure he was, especially if he had it in the plans all along but if the dude wants to move on move on.  Sucks for the Steelers sure but Wormley like I said already played well last year, Loudermlik could be good and so could Leal who was a steal in the draft.  A death in the family is serious and clearly changed his perspective on things.  

Dude finished his degree from Notre Dame which was in Anthropology I believe.  He is a multi-millionaire now, why not pursue your passions and anthropology is not worthless especially in the world of today, especially with the platform he has and the fame he has.  Maybe he will do something special and the Steelers will be just fine without him.  

They are a class organization, hired Flores which was a great move, got a promising QB and if he does not work out do have other options at QB also and improved their WRs in terms of depth, improved the OL with some under the radar signings.  If the NT can stay healthy that will be huge for the D, got Myles Jack who could be great at ILB opposite Bush.  Tyree Johnson is another steal from A&M as a potential 3/4 OLB.  Witherspoon and Wallace could be improvements at CB especially Wallace and they still have Sutton and Layne but they need to take their game to the next level.  

But wanting to do more in his life than play football when he is set financially is not that odd of a thing, especially if he has other interests and wants to do more.  And he knows himself, maybe the injuries were really bad and if he continued to play football he would lose certain functioning down the road.  

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Sure but either way to get a guy like that who has 1st round potential in the 3rd round in a steal,

Regardless of what I think, the highlighted is true. I really wanted the Browns to take him.

Edited by MSURacerDT55

23 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Regardless of what I think, the highlighted is true. I really wanted the Browns to take him.

Not sure it matters much now, they got Winfrey in the 4th which was a steal and on the edge behind Garrett and Clowney they got Winovich, Weatherly and Alex Wright, Wright could be awesome and they also got Isaiah Thomas and have Weaver as well.  Inside Togiai has potential and so does Elliott, not a huge fan of Bryan though but who knows maybe they get Suh.  

6 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Not sure it matters much now, they got Winfrey in the 4th which was a steal and on the edge behind Garrett and Clowney they got Winovich, Weatherly and Alex Wright, Wright could be awesome and they also got Isaiah Thomas and have Weaver as well.  Inside Togiai has potential and so does Elliott, not a huge fan of Bryan though but who knows maybe they get Suh.  

I think they are in a wait and see approach with those guys, If someone steps up then they will go with the room but if not they will probably go outside. This goes unnoticed but the incident with Malik McDowell really messed things up, him in year two would have been tremendous for him and we wouldn't look as thin as we do currently.