Houston Texans added as defendants in Deshaun Watson sexual misconduct civil trials

ET80

5 minutes ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

I'd imagine it was said due to his off-field record, particularly with DV.  

Correct. Then again I always loved Stone Cold Steve Austin and he’s had a couple of those allegations too if I recall.

2 comments and some snark:

1st, this is not going to stop. It could be 40 defendants by Thanksgiving. I also don't think timing has anything to do with merit. These things happen with exposure like an HBO show or Hardin / Watson opening their mouth for TV sound bites.

2nd, the league needs to act soon on punishment (before camp) and it can't just be Commissioner's List. They can suspended him for 2 years pending outcome or 1 year with a chance for reinstatement pending outcome but just parking him in a corner after the criminal stuff ended is unfair no matter how awkward the situation is. If they want to stop him from playing then do it as punishment, not PR convenience.

I'm not saying they have to suspend now. They could let him play until after the trials and just deal with protests and fan abuse and hit pieces and exposes and the like. Vick got that in 2009 (although this would be 10x that or worse based on it being active and social media being on steroids now)

The snark is that Buzbee should start filing new lawsuits at halftime of Browns games and then have the sideline reporter ask Watson about it coming out of the tunnel.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Correct. Then again I always loved Stone Cold Steve Austin and he’s had a couple of those allegations too if I recall.

I understand.  I try to separate the two, so a statue of Jim Brown playing football isn't even something I would bat an eye at.  My favorite all time entertainer is Michael Jackson.  I get it.   

I was just trying to answer the question, but I don't want to derail a thread that already probably treads the line here, so I don't want to push the convo beyond here.  

Edited by OkeyDoke21

17 hours ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

I'd imagine it was said due to his off-field record, particularly with DV.  

So im supposed to dismiss what he did on the field or the tremendous work he did particularly in the urban community? Interesting....🤔

And if that's the case, how is that any different from the Babe Ruth statue who was even worse, maybe you guys can help me understand the angle.

Edited by MSURacerDT55
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Xenos said:

You guys know that was a joke from a local radio show about the homeless guy, but there is zero defense of Weeden or Johnny Football or Mayfield for that matter.  But blame that on the clowns we had in our FO

Edited by MSURacerDT55

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Seems like this thing isn't even close to over despite Watson sitting out all of last season.

Oddly, last year did not have much to do with the lawsuits except regarding trade value.

Watson was supposed to be part of the coach/GM search (I think Cal McNair said as much)

They had a thorough GM search through a consultant agency and came up with a few excellent candidates. Then they turned around and hired the incompetent temporary GM's (Easterby's) buddy while ignoring the search results.

TLDNR : The Texans had a clear mandate to build the FO with integrity and they failed hard. They pretty much decided that they wanted Watson to hold out as long as they could keep Easterby (and hire his buddy and a hapless coach).

So it was Watson who decided not to play and the Texans could not trade him for any real value and could not cut him. Nor could they suspended him for realizing they were a joke franchise. (remember that OBJ and AB could not be suspended long term for disagreeing with their teams either) So they ate the 10 million last year and won the lottery with the Browns trade this year.

No harm no foul. (at least for Watson's QB not QB 2021)

10 hours ago, candyman93 said:

This.

A more catastrophic scenario is this: We don’t trade for Watson, Baker gives the franchise false hope, and regresses to the mean after we give him a fat contract. Congratulations, you’re cash strapped to a below average QB.

I’ve felt Watson could be suspended for the year. If that happens, then okay. You made this deal planning long term.

We still have a ton of draft picks and will probably get more if we move Baker.

Baker is below the mean so he'd have to regress to the well below mean.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

Oddly, last year did not have much to do with the lawsuits except regarding trade value.

Watson was supposed to be part of the coach/GM search (I think Cal McNair said as much)

They had a thorough GM search through a consultant agency and came up with a few excellent candidates. Then they turned around and hired the incompetent temporary GM's (Easterby's) buddy while ignoring the search results.

TLDNR : The Texans had a clear mandate to build the FO with integrity and they failed hard. They pretty much decided that they wanted Watson to hold out as long as they could keep Easterby (and hire his buddy and a hapless coach).

So it was Watson who decided not to play and the Texans could not trade him for any real value and could not cut him. Nor could they suspended him for realizing they were a joke franchise. (remember that OBJ and AB could not be suspended long term for disagreeing with their teams either) So they ate the 10 million last year and won the lottery with the Browns trade this year.

No harm no foul. (at least for Watson's QB not QB 2021)

The Texans should've just traded him after the 2020 season when he let them know he was done there, IIRC the 49ers were willing to give them basically the same amount of draft capital they ended up getting from the Browns anyway.

I'm just still surprised that Houston paid him and let him take a roster spot knowing he wasn't playing.

56 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The Texans should've just traded him after the 2020 season when he let them know he was done there, IIRC the 49ers were willing to give them basically the same amount of draft capital they ended up getting from the Browns anyway.

I'm just still surprised that Houston paid him and let him take a roster spot knowing he wasn't playing.

The Texans couldn’t trade him - the allegations came out a few days before the start of the new league year, which was the only time a trade could be made. I want to say the first case rolled in the day before the start of the new league year.

After that, nobody was going to trade for Watson until there was some level of clarity on Watson’s situation (specifically, whether or not criminal charges would be filed). Once that didn’t happen, the Texans moved Watson within the week.

According to those close to the team, Nick Caserio was creating a plan to trade Watson right before the draft or on Draft Dat (money was on the Jets, for a lucrative package that included pick 2 - which was probably going to be Zach Wilson). 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ET80 said:

The Texans couldn’t trade him - the allegations came out a few days before the start of the new league year, which was the only time a trade could be made. I want to say the first case rolled in the day before the start of the new league year.

After that, nobody was going to trade for Watson until there was some level of clarity on Watson’s situation (specifically, whether or not criminal charges would be filed). Once that didn’t happen, the Texans moved Watson within the week.

According to those close to the team, Nick Caserio was creating a plan to trade Watson right before the draft or on Draft Dat (money was on the Jets, for a lucrative package that included pick 2 - which was probably going to be Zach Wilson). 

Bill O' Brien should have traded him after the 2019 season for Kenyan Drake + a solid pick, like a 2nd.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Soggust said:

Bill O' Brien should have traded him after the 2019 season for Kenyan Drake + a solid pick, like a 2nd.

*shrug

David Johnson needed a good backup, so it’s not the worst idea.

• Like 1