NBA Offseason Thread: Durant will remain in Brooklyn

NYRaider

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

If I were Brooklyn I'd consider

Nets receive: Westbrook, THT, 2026 pick swap, 2027 1st (unprotected), 2028 pick swap, 2029 1st (unprotected)

Lakers receive: Irving, Harris

Not sure the Lakers need to offer up all those picks.  Who else is going to trade for Kyrie Irving?  Right now, I think the list is just the Lakers.  If I'm Mark Cuban, I don't want Kyrie Irving anywhere near Luka Doncic.  Is Kyrie Irving going to buy into the Heat?  And if he were, are the Heat willing to give up anything besides Kyle Lowry.  I'm not there's a player in the NBA with a bigger discrepancy between their on-court value and their trade value.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Not sure the Lakers need to offer up all those picks.  Who else is going to trade for Kyrie Irving?  Right now, I think the list is just the Lakers.  If I'm Mark Cuban, I don't want Kyrie Irving anywhere near Luka Doncic.  Is Kyrie Irving going to buy into the Heat?  And if he were, are the Heat willing to give up anything besides Kyle Lowry.  I'm not there's a player in the NBA with a bigger discrepancy between their on-court value and their trade value.

Then just force him to play or sit out for a year and let him walk next year, that's the only benefit they'd be getting from Westbrook. Their owner seems to be pretty pissed at Kyrie so I don't think he's going to give in to him and send him somewhere he wants to go without receiving any young talent or draft capital that can help them anytime soon.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, if we're looking at this realistically, the Nets probably won't get anyone better then Royce O'Neale with that very late FRP.

Royce O'Neale is terrible at basketball and his value for a rebuilding team is minimal. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

Then just force him to play or sit out for a year and let him walk next year, that's the only benefit they'd be getting from Westbrook. Their owner seems to be pretty pissed at Kyrie so I don't think he's going to give in to him and send him somewhere he wants to go without receiving any young talent or draft capital that can help them anytime soon.

Oh, I think the Lakers will be sending a pick or at the very least a pick swap in return for Kyrie Irving.  But the notion they'll be getting multiple unprotected FRPs seems unlikely at best.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Oh, I think the Lakers will be sending a pick or at the very least a pick swap in return for Kyrie Irving.  But the notion they'll be getting multiple unprotected FRPs seems unlikely at best.

I just don't see the Nets trading Kyrie and Joe Harris or Seth Curry for a 2027 1st round pick and Westbrook's expiring contract. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

I just don't see the Nets trading Kyrie and Joe Harris or Seth Curry for a 2027 1st round pick and Westbrook's expiring contract. 

So they're going to pay Kyrie Irving $37M to pull a James Harden?  They're so deep into the luxury tax it's not even funny.  It's like the post-LeBron Cavs paying luxury tax, only they weren't paying LeBron to stay home.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

So they're going to pay Kyrie Irving $37M to pull a James Harden?  They're so deep into the luxury tax it's not even funny.  It's like the post-LeBron Cavs paying luxury tax, only they weren't paying LeBron to stay home.

Seems better than paying Westbrook $47M to stay home. If they're trading Durant they're likely just going to tank because they'll get their pick.

Edited by NYRaider

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Seems better than paying Westbrook $47M to stay home.

Let's not kid ourselves.  He'll be bought out.  He'll give money back, and the Nets save long-term money in that theoretical deal.  But I think it could also be expanded to a 3rd team where that 3rd team sends a big, long-term contract back and attaches some draft picks to acquire Westbrook.  Maybe Washington?

Just now, CWood21 said:

Let's not kid ourselves.  He'll be bought out.  He'll give money back, and the Nets save long-term money in that theoretical deal.  But I think it could also be expanded to a 3rd team where that 3rd team sends a big, long-term contract back and attaches some draft picks to acquire Westbrook.  Maybe Washington?

John Wall gave the Rockets $6M back out of his $47M, doubt Westbrook is going to give up a ton of money when he's never getting a big deal again and there won't be a huge market for him regardless. Washington seems like they're trying to win now so I don't see why they'd add Westbrook when they're pursuing John Collins, just resigned Beal, and just traded for Morris/Barton. Charlotte was the best bet but with the Bridges news it doesn't seem like they need the cap relief anymore. 

Honestly people can say the Nets should never have ceded that the amount of control they did. That said, you chose and allowed it to go down that path so you might as well have stuck with it. 

Now you’ve essentially decided to reverse course and you’re left with a big OL’ mess and no chance of winning. As opposed to having a mess and having a chance of winning.

1 hour ago, agarcia34 said:

3 for 28 For GP2. Can see why the Warriors wouldn’t go there but this sucks 

Definitely but good for GPII. Was close to being out of the league and now gets this payday after being a big part of a championship run. 

Now let's see what happens with Looney.