NBA Offseason Thread: Durant will remain in Brooklyn

NYRaider

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

He is a FA at the end of the season.  He can then be free to sign anywhere he wants.

If he were to sit out, or cause more issues, do you think he gets a max next off season?  Will someone overlook the off court distractions for what he brings on the court?  I am sure someone will sign him but if he doesn't prove he can be a decent teammate for a year and not be a distraction, no decent team will want him in the locker room if it costs too much. 

5 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

If he were to sit out, or cause more issues, do you think he gets a max next off season?  Will someone overlook the off court distractions for what he brings on the court?  I am sure someone will sign him but if he doesn't prove he can be a decent teammate for a year and not be a distraction, no decent team will want him in the locker room if it costs too much. 

If the Lakers have the cap space, I think they would.

5 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

I wonder if Brooklyn is hoping this Durant situation turns into the equivalent of the Aaron Rodgers situation from last year.

Probably.  I think they're going to do their "due diligence" trying to find a trade and ultimately tell Durant they tried, but nothing happened so they'll revisit it again next offseason.  The question becomes do they try and make the Irving/Durant situation work, or do they try and find a deal with Irving that bring back a more win-now PG?

25 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

@THE DUKE

I hope you're this up in arms when players are traded when they don't want to move.

Except trades are part of the collective bargaining agreement with the players union, so it is a normal function of the league.  I have no issue with a player wanting to be traded, but to expect the franchise that signed them to almost give them away is ludicrous.  And some first round pick 5 years in the future is much closer to giving them away that getting anything near market value in return.

If i'm the Nets, I let Durant and Kyrie ***** all they want, but don't make any moves unless i'm getting a significant return.  The pressure on Kyrie to play if he, Durant, and Simmons are all healthy will not be zero, and the Nets can still be a legitimate contender in 2022-2023.  Do a lot of things need to go right?  Sure, but what team doesn't need a few things going right to win a championship?

44 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Except trades are part of the collective bargaining agreement with the players union, so it is a normal function of the league.  I have no issue with a player wanting to be traded, but to expect the franchise that signed them to almost give them away is ludicrous.  And some first round pick 5 years in the future is much closer to giving them away that getting anything near market value in return.

Wait...when has that ever been the case?

It seems your frustration comes from fans on this site arguing over future picks and not anything coming from Kyrie or Durant based on this post.

20 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Wait...when has that ever been the case?

It seems your frustration comes from fans on this site arguing over future picks and not anything coming from Kyrie or Durant based on this post.

People in this thread have argued two first round picks 5+ years from now is too much for a player who wants out of where he is currently, that the Lakers are bidding against themselves.  That sounds ludicrous to me.  Work through the bull**** and just keep both Kyrie and Durant if the return isn't good enough. If things break right, the Nets can be title contenders next year. 

Trade away Durant and Kyrie for anything less than a kings ransom and they are perennial cellar dwellers for the next decade.  That's why I think they are making ridiculous demands like KAT, Anthony Edwards, plus more for Durant, because they don't really want to do it.  I think Durant, Kyrie, and Simmons are all Nets at the start of the NBA season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

I wonder if Brooklyn is hoping this Durant situation turns into the equivalent of the Aaron Rodgers situation from last year.

They don't have to trade him if they don't find the right package. Durant has no leverage and he's not going to sit out and make it difficult on the Nets.

Have been consistent from day one on this. 

• Like 1