NBA Offseason Thread: Durant will remain in Brooklyn

NYRaider

I just don't get the point of the Knicks trading all of their youth and their ability to ever add a good young player ever again...just to add a non-elite player like Mitchell.

Is a core of Mitchell, Randle, Brunson, Barrett, and nothing else for half a decade seriously worth it? That's a second round exit at best!

They're just better off riding out the current team until they collapse and win the lottery AND ACTUALLY USING THEIR ******* PICK!!!

2 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

I just don't get the point of the Knicks trading all of their youth and their ability to ever add a good young player ever again...just to add a non-elite player like Mitchell.

Is a core of Mitchell, Randle, Brunson, Barrett, and nothing else for half a decade seriously worth it? That's a second round exit at best!

They're just better off riding out the current team until they collapse and win the lottery AND ACTUALLY USING THEIR ******* PICK!!!

Non elite player? Donovan would be the best player they’ve added by far since Carmelo. And is loved amongst stars in the league so if your plan is to recruit other stars in free agency you have your biggest and best selling point.  

• Like 1

Just now, NYRaider said:

Non elite player? Donovan would be the best player they’ve added by far since Carmelo. And is loved amongst stars in the league so if your plan is to recruit other stars in free agency you have your biggest and best selling point.  

I don't deny he'd be the best player we'd have since Patrick Ewing lol. That says more about the Knicks being the Knicks than it does about Mitchell being a truly elite franchise cornerstone.

• Like 1

Even if most of those draft picks end up being mid on a roster with Mitchell, I'd rather have them without Mitchell, plain suck, and miraculously win the lottery for the first time in 40 years...or trade for Zion/Lamelo lol.

Edited by redsoxsuck05

7 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Meh, Ayton was way more hyped of a prospect than he has showed in the NBA. He is not a bust by any means, but he was supposed to be a lot better than he currently is. 

If your the #1 overall pick in the draft, you gotta do a bit better than 17/10 while being a NBA-average defender. Especially for someone with his gifts. Hes a bit of a underachiever.

The Suns view his production as replaceable with a veteran and not worth near a 133M Max (which they are right). He ranks #12 in the NBA among centers is Value Added (similar to PER). 

He's been pretty much what you thought he was going to be when the Suns took him #1 overall.  IIRC, I had him, Luka Doncic, and Trae Young as my top 3 guys in that order.  I thought the ceiling on Doncic and Young were higher, but the floor was substantially higher with Ayton.  And the recent failures of former international prospects made there enough concern with Doncic.  Frank Ntilikina, Dragan Bender, Thon Maker, Emmanuel Mudiay, Dante Exum, etc. all struggled as international prospects playing in the NBA.

• Like 1

Because 2k is fun (not really) and I like to make some sort of crazy trade idea, here's one that gets Mitchell to NY but also moves Kyrie to LA.

Brooklyn Nets Receive:
PG Mike Conley Jr.
SF Bojan Bogdanovic
2023 FRP Pick (via PHI/BKN/HOU, Top 20 protected)
2028 FRP Pick Swap (w/ Lakers)

Los Angeles Lakers Receive:
PG Kyrie Irving
PG Patrick Beverley
SG Malik Beasley
SF Rudy Gay

New York Knicks Receive:
SG Donovan Mitchell

Utah Jazz Receive:
PG Russell Westbrook
PG Derrick Rose
SG Immanuel Quickey
SG Quentin Grimes
SF Talen Horton-Tucker
PF Obi Toppin
'23 FRP (via NYK)
'23 FRP (via WAS)
'25 FRP (via MIL)
'25 FRP (via NYK)
'27 FRP (via NYK)
'27 FRP (via LA Lakers)
'29 FRP (via LA Lakers)
'29 FRP (via NYK)

@NYRaider

21 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

He's been pretty much what you thought he was going to be when the Suns took him #1 overall.  IIRC, I had him, Luka Doncic, and Trae Young as my top 3 guys in that order.  I thought the ceiling on Doncic and Young were higher, but the floor was substantially higher with Ayton.  And the recent failures of former international prospects made there enough concern with Doncic.  Frank Ntilikina, Dragan Bender, Thon Maker, Emmanuel Mudiay, Dante Exum, etc. all struggled as international prospects playing in the NBA.

Oh I agree, I had him #1 but I could have easily made a case for Luka too. I also remember Ayton being a lot better of a defender in college than he has ever showed in the NBA. Why that didn't translate I don't know.

Luka was hyped like crazy and if I had the #1 pick, that's a guy you swing for the fences for. He was basically touted as the greatest Euro prospect ever, but some got cold feet like you said because of the Darko factor.

Could you imagine Luka and Booker on the same team. Sheesh 

Edited by AkronsWitness

This is what i was talking about with Ainge. He took advantage of a weak team (MIN) and it ruins the value for the rest of the league.

I would be reluctant to do any deals with Ainge, but he's known for just walking away. If he doesnt get the ransom he wants for Mitchell, he won't settle. Tip my cap, but I wouldnt mortgage 7+ 1sts on Donovan Mitchell even if he is the best player they would have since Melo.