Minkah gets some money (4 @ 18.4)

Forge

2 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I was under the impression he had a poor year last season?

He didnt.

Lots of Steeler fans make excuses for him.   Not that he is terrible or anything, but he regularly takes horrid angles and is a below average tackler.    Our secondary was a disaster last year and he didnt have much helo, but the problem is, a supposed elite safety shouldnt drop off as much as he did,even with subpar talent.    Certain things he gets passes for, but he had plenty of negative plays last year that safeties of his supposed caliber shouldn't have.

When we have the talent around him, he is a very efficient player and a ballhawk.   I just dont think he is as individually talented as many Steeler fans want to believe he is.

3 hours ago, Xenos said:

Yes, you’re right that the drafting JT Woods is meant to help Derwin more, and allow him to play closer to the LOS where he can do more damage. He basically had 5 different roles on defense last year. Here’s a snippet of the plan when Woods was drafted. I also suspect Adderly to be gone after this season because we can’t spend that much on another safety.

https://theathletic.com/3284050/2022/04/30/chargers-jt-woods-derwin-james/

That makes a lot of sense since your guys run defense was pretty bad with one of the worst YPC allowed and 3rd most rushing yards allowed. Once I saw the JT Woods pick come in that's where my mind first went after the initial "wait... another safety?" lol. You guys also added some guys in the trenches that will help with run defense like Khalil Mack, Sebastian Joseph-Day and Otito Ogbonnia in the 5th who might get rotational snaps.

But, yeah I don't expect Adderley to probably be there after this season. It would make sense for him coming back home and going to a scheme with the two high safeties like Gannon's who is friends with Staley.

On 1/11/2019 at 5:27 PM, TheRealMcCoy said:

Would like one of Adderley or Thornhill for the Eagles. 

Hype is building on Adderley. I doubt he'll be there at the end of the 2nd round.

On 4/29/2019 at 5:27 AM, TheRealMcCoy said:

That’s true, but I’m not suggesting waiting just for the sake of it. I mean I suggested taking a RB after a small trade down (if possible) and I don’t think WR was a pressing need. I liked Adderley a bit more than the skill position players we took. Eagles felt differently obviously.

Wanted Adderley back in the 2019 draft, but instead we took JJAW just ahead of him.... lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

That makes a lot of sense since your guys run defense was pretty bad with one of the worst YPC allowed and 3rd most rushing yards allowed. Once I saw the JT Woods pick come in that's where my mind first went after the initial "wait... another safety?" lol. You guys also added some guys in the trenches that will help with run defense like Khalil Mack, Sebastian Joseph-Day and Otito Ogbonnia in the 5th who might get rotational snaps.

But, yeah I don't expect Adderley to probably be there after this season. It would make sense for him coming back home and going to a scheme with the two high safeties like Gannon's who is friends with Staley.

Wanted Adderley back in the 2019 draft, but instead we took JJAW just ahead of him.... lol.

If it makes you feel better about not getting Adderley in 2019, he’s been a big disappointment until Staley took over last year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Xenos said:

If it makes you feel better about not getting Adderley in 2019, he’s been a big disappointment until Staley took over last year.

I feel that. Sometimes it takes players till year 3 or 4 before the light turns on though. Avonte Maddox moved around quite a bit position wise and was eh for us the first 3 years of his career before being one of the best slots in the league in 2021 and earning himself a new extension mid-season. But, yeah if Adderley wants to get a good deal next offseason he has to prove last year wasn’t a fluke. Excited to see how far you guys can take things this year. Not making the playoffs last year was a big disappointment.

On 6/15/2022 at 6:21 PM, 43M said:

He didnt.

Lots of Steeler fans make excuses for him.   Not that he is terrible or anything, but he regularly takes horrid angles and is a below average tackler.    Our secondary was a disaster last year and he didnt have much helo, but the problem is, a supposed elite safety shouldnt drop off as much as he did,even with subpar talent.    Certain things he gets passes for, but he had plenty of negative plays last year that safeties of his supposed caliber shouldn't have.

When we have the talent around him, he is a very efficient player and a ballhawk.   I just dont think he is as individually talented as many Steeler fans want to believe he is.

He was thrown at 19 times last year...

Minkah Fitzpatrick is the modern day Ed Reed. I am not saying he is anywhere near as good as Ed Reed, ever will be, etc. However, he does exactly what Reed does; Playing Single High, doesn't get targeted, when he does it's for a big gain or a potential pick six. Yet somehow in the PFF era we've decided that a traditional single-high FS isn't valuable anymore. Minkah missed a lot of tackles in the running game last year, but they were tackles he shouldn't have had to make. Nobody faulted Ed Reed for missed tackles or the inability to defend the run after 2005 due to his neck. I wont fault a traditional FS for not being great against the run. I'll take a FS who was only targeted 19 times all season 10 days out of the week. As Tomlin said to Ed Reed on the sideline... "I've got a young centerfielder who might be special; reminds me of you."

On 6/15/2022 at 6:28 PM, FinSting said:

He played good enough to get paid, so good for him. Still waiting on his pickleball stats tho. 

She was literally playing pickeball with 200 million dollars worth of football players... And that doesn't even include Highsmith...

42 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

Minkah Fitzpatrick is the modern day Ed Reed. I am not saying he is anywhere near as good as Ed Reed, ever will be, etc. However, he does exactly what Reed does; Playing Single High, doesn't get targeted, when he does it's for a big gain or a potential pick six. Yet somehow in the PFF era we've decided that a traditional single-high FS isn't valuable anymore. Minkah missed a lot of tackles in the running game last year, but they were tackles he shouldn't have had to make. Nobody faulted Ed Reed for missed tackles or the inability to defend the run after 2005 due to his neck. I wont fault a traditional FS for not being great against the run. I'll take a FS who was only targeted 19 times all season 10 days out of the week. As Tomlin said to Ed Reed on the sideline... "I've got a young centerfielder who might be special; reminds me of you."

Where are you getting these stats? I’m seeing 56 targets 

54 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

That 19 seems way too low, but I dont have an exact count or any proof to the contrary.

Im not going to get too deep into who you compared him to, but even as a loose comparison, I dont like it.   I think Minkah is way closer to a guy like OJ Atogwe than Ed Reed.    

As Ive said...I like Minkah.   I think he is a valuable part of our defense, especially with the right talent around him.  However...  I don't think he is as good as most Steeler fans make him out to be.   I dont consider him the caliber of player that guys like Watt and Heyward (i.e...guys who can dominate in all phases and regardless of who is around them).    And thats not necessarily a knock on Minkah....but when youre paying him as a top player at his position, you (or at least I) expect that caliber of player.

Im happy we are keeping him, especially after some other safeties we have had post Polamalu....but I really hope the defense around him can play well enough to allow him to do what he does best, because he really isnt a complete player.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 43M said:

That 19 seems way too low, but I dont have an exact count or any proof to the contrary.

Im not going to get too deep into who you compared him to, but even as a loose comparison, I dont like it.   I think Minkah is way closer to a guy like OJ Atogwe than Ed Reed.    

As Ive said...I like Minkah.   I think he is a valuable part of our defense, especially with the right talent around him.  However...  I don't think he is as good as most Steeler fans make him out to be.   I dont consider him the caliber of player that guys like Watt and Heyward (i.e...guys who can dominate in all phases and regardless of who is around them).    And thats not necessarily a knock on Minkah....but when youre paying him as a top player at his position, you (or at least I) expect that caliber of player.

Im happy we are keeping him, especially after some other safeties we have had post Polamalu....but I really hope the defense around him can play well enough to allow him to do what he does best, because he really isnt a complete player.

Great post by someone who can have an unbiased opinion about their own team. Bravo.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

Great post by someone who can have an unbiased opinion about their own team. Bravo.

In fairness, I know Blaq is typically pretty unbiased too....at least with other Steeler fans.    xD   

Most Steeler fans dont agree with me on Minkah, though.    Good player with sometimes elite ballhawk skills....but Im not big on paying him THAT kind of money given the flaws in his game.

20 minutes ago, 43M said:

In fairness, I know Blaq is typically pretty unbiased too....at least with other Steeler fans.    xD   

Most Steeler fans dont agree with me on Minkah, though.    Good player with sometimes elite ballhawk skills....but Im not big on paying him THAT kind of money given the flaws in his game.

I wasn’t comparing you two. Didn’t even think about his post was just referring to yours 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

Where are you getting these stats? I’m seeing 56 targets 

Sorry, I was confused and referring to his 2020 totals where he was targeted 18 times per PFF. As much as I don't like PFF, using their same target totals he was targeted 41 times for 25 receptions last year. I'm trying to find the world in which a FS targeted (which again, was about an average season of targets and receptions for Ed Reed) less than 3 times per game and allowing less than 2 receptions per game is an issue.