Minkah gets some money (4 @ 18.4)

Forge

33 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I'll be honest, I would kind of be surprised if Bates gets re-signed in Cincinnati, albeit not shocked I suppose. Part of me thinks them drafting who they did in R1 was the writing on the wall, while I also acknowledge Vonn Bell will need replaced next year and that could be their answer as well.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'll be honest, I would kind of be surprised if Bates gets re-signed in Cincinnati, albeit not shocked I suppose. Part of me thinks them drafting who they did in R1 was the writing on the wall, while I also acknowledge Vonn Bell will need replaced next year and that could be their answer as well.

The impasse the Bengals are at, is that despite balling out in the playoffs last year, Bates was a very average in the regular season and in his 4 years as a Bengals has one second team all pro in 2020, and that's it.  The other three years he hasn't even had a pro bowl nod.  A great rookie season, a 2nd team all pro season, then regression in his third season, then more regression in his 4th season, and finally a great playoff run. 

The rumor mill (unconfirmed by anyone official) is that the Bengals offered $15 mil per and got turned down.  The Bengals franchised Bates this year at around $13 mil, and can do it again next year if they can't work out a long term deal.  The only way I see the Bengals giving him the kind of deal he wants is if he plays this year on the franchise tag and he has an all pro level season, then they give him the bag.  Bates has threatened to sit out, but he'd be walking away from $13 million only to end up in the same situation next year, because no one out stubborns the Bengals.  Most of the beat writers thinks he plays, but if he didn't, I don't think teams will be lining up to pay a guy who just sat for a year $18 million per.

The recent X-Factor in all of this is Joe Burrow coming out this week and publicly backing Bates saying the Bengals should get it done.  Whether that support is as strong behind the scenes would be interesting to know, because the Bengals aren't far off from emptying the piggy bank to give Burrow his own mega-deal, likely followed the next year by a mega deal for Chase.  Not to mention extensions for Jonah Williams and Tee Higgins on the horizon.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Hopefully Derwin is next. This contract at least provides parameters for his.

Sounds like it will. I'd be surprised if he isn't the next to get his big deal. 

Only thing that's held Derwin back is injury. When he's on the field he's a stud.

Gonna be interested to see what happens with Derwin this year with the drafting of JT Woods. I wonder if they intend to play James closer to the LOS this year. I also wonder what is gonna happen with Nasir Adderley as he was one of the more improved players last year moving from Bradley to Staley's scheme. He's a FA next offseason and I'd like for him to come back home to Philly just like Kyzir White did this offseason.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Sounds like it will. I'd be surprised if he isn't the next to get his big deal. 

Only thing that's held Derwin back is injury. When he's on the field he's a stud.

Gonna be interested to see what happens with Derwin this year with the drafting of JT Woods. I wonder if they intend to play James closer to the LOS this year. I also wonder what is gonna happen with Nasir Adderley as he was one of the more improved players last year moving from Bradley to Staley's scheme. He's a FA next offseason and I'd like for him to come back home to Philly just like Kyzir White did this offseason.

Yes, you’re right that the drafting JT Woods is meant to help Derwin more, and allow him to play closer to the LOS where he can do more damage. He basically had 5 different roles on defense last year. Here’s a snippet of the plan when Woods was drafted. I also suspect Adderly to be gone after this season because we can’t spend that much on another safety.

https://theathletic.com/3284050/2022/04/30/chargers-jt-woods-derwin-james/

Last year, James played five different positions in Staley’s scheme, and the Chargers were at their best defensively when James could be used as a queen on the chessboard. He can play in the deep part of the field. He can cover the slot. He can man up on tight ends. He can rush off the edge. Moving James around keeps opposing quarterbacks guessing, and it puts the star safety in spots to make plays on the ball, wherever that may be.

But there is a give and take when moving James around to so many different positions. James is an exceptional deep-field safety because of his size, speed, tracking and ball skills. When he moves to slot, or when moves to edge rusher, or when he plays a linebacker-safety hybrid role in dime packages, someone has to replace him in the deep half of the field next to fellow safety Nasir Adderley. And in 2021, the Chargers did not have that player. Trey Marshall, who the Chargers signed in early September, was inconsistent. Alohi Gilman, who dealt with a significant quad injury that forced him to miss five games in the second half of the season, is more suited for a box-safety role. Mark Webb, a seventh-round pick in 2021, is also more effective when aligned closer to the line of scrimmage.

• Like 1