Terry McLaurin extends

Forge

2 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Definitely worth celebrating.

3 years gives me pause, and I’m sure we’ll spend a lot of time speculating about why it would be a comparatively short deal, but we’ll take that over 0 more years for certain! 

I wonder if that was the cause and who held that up, Terry or us? Did we not want to guarantee another year, or did Terry want to cash in again a year earlier (in comparison to the other WR deals). Still, having his caliber through 2025 is great!

We came to play on the guarantees it seems.

• Like 2

Just now, e16bball said:

3 years gives me pause, and I’m sure we’ll spend a lot of time speculating about why it would be a comparatively short deal, but we’ll take that over 0 more years for certain! 

31 years old at the end of the deal. He could easily get another payday on the back-end. Smart negotiating by his agent. 

That being said 70M in new money plus the 2.79M he is earning this year has him locked up for this year and the next 3 at an average of 18.1975M over these 4 years. 28M signing bonus must be nice for him too. 

• Like 1

Just now, MikeT14 said:

I wonder if that was the cause and who held that up, Terry or us? Did we not want to guarantee another year, or did Terry want to cash in again a year earlier (in comparison to the other WR deals). 

We came to play on the guarantees.

I like that they did a large signing bonus, as that’s money that will likely get tacked onto year one of the deal. Not much sense in having him at $4M this year, when they’ve got cap space, and then jumping all the way to $20M+ next year and beyond. Can smooth the deal out a little bit, given that they’re pretty clearly not going to use all the cap room available to them this year. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, e16bball said:

It allows him to cash in once again. It reminds me of the Keenan Allen situation. Alittle older coming out signed a shorter deal then really cashed in on his deal when he turned 30. Allen had dealt with more missed time. Either way the heart and soul of our offense is back and I can’t wait for he and Jahan to just feed off each other. I actually think in a few years Jahan will be the better player but I’m excited for him to work with Terry because I think they are similarly built mentally. Now Terry can work on timing with Carson and I expect this offense to be pretty decent if the OL holds up.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, e16bball said:

His age would be my guess. He’s 26, he & his agent want to be able to sign one more big deal before he hits 30 years old. I actually thought that length of contract could be a sticking point. I remember it was with Dak 2 or 3 years ago & I believe w/ Kirk as well. The players who are older when their first time in free agency comes up & that are mid to late round picks want shorter deals so they can get another one before they hit 30. 

• Like 1