Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

On 3/19/2021 at 9:46 PM, Bonanza23 said:

I’d really like to see these guys with a competent coach. 

I’m not disagreeing, but coaching doesn’t fix the talent and experience void on this roster.

We’ve got a bunch of 20-22 year olds, none of whom are elite talents, trying to win in a grown man’s league.

There’s not a scheme or technique that fixes that.

13 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m not disagreeing, but coaching doesn’t fix the talent and experience void on this roster.

We’ve got a bunch of 20-22 year olds, none of whom are elite talents, trying to win in a grown man’s league.

There’s not a scheme or technique that fixes that.

I honestly feel there’s better talent here than most. Garland is just coming into his own. Sexton is a really really good 6th man. Okoro really really needs coaching. Windler really really needs coaching. There are bits and pieces that really really need coaching. Lastly Allen looks frustrated. He has decent talent and, well you guest it, needs coaching and he isn’t getting it. 

Ive seen these guys play really well together. The inconsistency just drives me mad. For real is it the youth?  Or is it the coaching?

35 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

I honestly feel there’s better talent here than most. Garland is just coming into his own. Sexton is a really really good 6th man. Okoro really really needs coaching. Windler really really needs coaching. There are bits and pieces that really really need coaching. Lastly Allen looks frustrated. He has decent talent and, well you guest it, needs coaching and he isn’t getting it. 

Ive seen these guys play really well together. The inconsistency just drives me mad. For real is it the youth?  Or is it the coaching?

Both, they definitely run hot/cold like a bunch of 1st and 2nd year players however coaching to iron out and show improvement throughout the year is needed.

The Cavs young players and the overall team success has been stagnant for about 2 months. That's the troubling part and where I wish we had better coaching.

I could take the losses if they were showing improvement and everyone was coming into their own but that's not the case. I'm still waiting on 'that' game from Garland where it's all clicking and he explodes for 40+ to propel him forward. I'm also waiting on that game from Okoro where he is a focal point and drops 30+.

I always look to see if you can tell if certain guys have the 'it' factor as a glimpse of what they will be in the future--i see it with Garland where he looks like a young Kyrie/Lillard, but Okoro is Okoro. It looks like his head is spinning out there sometimes. I'm waiting to see the flash from him that he could become something more than a average player. Maybe because he's a rookie but he often just take what's given to him on offense, I don't see him attack enough wanting to dominate the defense, something Sexton now does and Garland too.

If Okoro is going to become a All Star level player l, I think it will take time. I can see him being a guy who randomly explodes in his 5th or 6th year once he is fully comfortable. Similar to Andre Iguodala, he really didn't take off until Iverson left Philly for Denver.

I think Garlands peak at this point is Kemba Walker and Okoros peak at this point is a poor man's Jimmy Butler.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

"6th Man" Collin Sexton just dropped 36/4/3 on 54% FG

Hes the 3rd most player in the clutch as of now in the league 

Best Clutch eFG: 
(Last 5:00, 4Q or OT, game within 5, min. 25 FGAs)

Rk Player Season Tm G FG FGA FG% FGX 3P 3PA 3P% 3PX eFG% Ast'd %Ast'd
1 Damian Lillard 2020-21 POR 21 37 63 .587 26 16 33 .485 17 .714 8 .216
2 James Harden 2020-21 TOT 17 24 42 .571 18 7 15 .467 8 .655 3 .125
3 Collin Sexton 2020-21 CLE 9 20 37 .541 17 8 12 .667 4 .649 5 .250
4 Jamal Murray 2020-21 DEN 13 24 45 .533 21 10 17 .588 7 .644 9 .375
5 Giannis Antetokounmpo 2020-21 MIL 13 17 28 .607 11 2 4 .500 2 .643 6 .353

5 hours ago, OhioG said:

"6th Man" Collin Sexton just dropped 36/4/3 on 54% FG

Hes the 3rd most player in the clutch as of now in the league 

Man Sexton is really just decent court vision away from being a All Star level player.

II think the reason I'm still not 100% sold on him is because he still creates a lot of dumb turnovers and has tunnel vision still. He does a lot of stuff still that was frustrating to watch when he was a rookie that's he's never grown out of and I don't think he will.

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Man Sexton is really just decent court vision away from being a All Star level player.

II think the reason I'm still not 100% sold on him is because he still creates a lot of dumb turnovers and has tunnel vision still. He does a lot of stuff still that was frustrating to watch when he was a rookie that's he's never grown out of and I don't think he will.

He just turned 22...

7 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

He just turned 22...

Yeah, but court vision and playmaking I dont think is something that is taught. Its a trait/mindset either you have it or you dont type of thing. He still misses wide open cutters and when he starts to drive, its tunnel vision and he rarely ever sees guy standing open in the corners.

Hes a scorer and thats the one thing hes concerned about the most so I dont think with time he is going to magically turn himself into a great playmaker for others.

4 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Yeah, but court vision and playmaking I dont think is something that is taught. Its a trait/mindset either you have it or you dont type of thing. He still misses wide open cutters and when he starts to drive, its tunnel vision and he rarely ever sees guy standing open in the corners.

Hes a scorer and thats the one thing hes concerned about the most so I dont think with time he is going to magically turn himself into a great playmaker for others.

Does he have to be a great playmaker?  How about “good” or “capable”?

The guy is like 3 years away from entering his prime.

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck