Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

22 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

And hes only growing still. He just turned 20. I would say by the time he is 23-25 years old he will be 6'8". Hes a massive SG 

umm... that's not how growing works ... lol.,, nothing about being 20 says a male is going to continue to keep growing in height.

On some occasions those with late growth spurts do, but you can't count on that. 

Donovan Mitchell by next year or by 25 will also be 6'5.5". I'm sure the Jazz are thrilled.

The NBA misses on players every single year. It's easy to get locked in on the big names in basketball even more so than football.

Will be interesting to see:

1.) If there are the Giannis or Donovan Mitchell types in the talent pool that most of us have yet to discover

AND 

2.) If the scouting staff and execs are able to recognize such guys, have the balls to take that prospect at 5 in the face of unpopular public reaction, and/or convince Dan Gilbert to go with such a move.

16 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

umm... that's not how growing works ... lol.,, nothing about being 20 says a male is going to continue to keep growing in height.

On some occasions those with late growth spurts do, but you can't count on that. 

Donovan Mitchell by next year or by 25 will also be 6'5.5". I'm sure the Jazz are thrilled.

Culver has been talked about this entire season as playing a lot taller than he actually is. His listed height is bs much like how Durants height as being sub 7ft is bs. As a guy who 19 years old the last time his team took the season, its not at all unreasonable to figure Culver will still grow another inch or two. At worst he is a 6'6" SG if he is done growing, but considering his rapid growth earlier, it is not at all out of the question for him to grow more.

Its just stupid to think a 19/20 year old is done growing in height. Culver just measured 6'7" at the combine when everybody thought he was 6'5"-6'6" the whole year.

Here:

https://www.thestepien.com/2018/12/03/draft-notes-thing-jarrett-culver/

Edited by AkronsWitness

6 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Culver / Hunter will start day 1 for the teams that draft them. Both get at it defensively, which NBA coaches are always concerned about when drafting kids.

Idk it’s hard to project defensive ability anymore. I thought Wiggins at worse could be a lock down defender in the NBA and the dude is a pretty bad defender. 

It’s just hard to predict Nba prospects period 

4 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Idk it’s hard to project defensive ability anymore. I thought Wiggins at worse could be a lock down defender in the NBA and the dude is a pretty bad defender. 

It’s just hard to predict Nba prospects period 

A lot of defense is just effort and aggressiveness imo.

There’s obviously technique you have to learn and you have to have basic physical attributes, but as long as you can learn the principles and put for good effort consistently you’ll typically be a decent defender.

IMO, when it comes to prospects from sheer measurables (not including work ethic, leadership, etc.), there are a few traits where you simply can't ignore/can't go wrong, in this order:

1. Athleticism: This includes size/length

2. Shooting: From off dribble or spot up

3. Ball Handling/Distributing: At the 1-4 spots

If I have an athlete who can shoot, I'm taking him, period. 

If I have an athlete who can get to the rim while also having great size/length, I'm taking him

If I have an athlete who is a great distributor and a shooting threat/get to the rim threat at the G position, I'm taking him

I just don't see it with more than 3 guys this year personally. 

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I assure you there will be more than 3 good players from this class.  

I'm saying that I just don't see that "can't miss superstar" outside of 3 guys in terms of draft value. In some drafts, you feel great about 5-10 guys. This year, outside of 3 (Zion, Ja, Barrett), I don't feel any better about Pick 4 than I would Pick 15. Strictly from a value/prospect standpoint.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Gilbert Altman just needs to find them and let the coaches develop them.

I'd try for the volume approach in a year like this...try to turn pick 5 into a bunch of picks, current and future.

44 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'm saying that I just don't see that "can't miss superstar" outside of 3 guys in terms of draft value. In some drafts, you feel great about 5-10 guys. This year, outside of 3 (Zion, Ja, Barrett), I don't feel any better about Pick 4 than I would Pick 15. Strictly from a value/prospect standpoint.

That’s fair, I can see that.

44 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'd try for the volume approach in a year like this...try to turn pick 5 into a bunch of picks, current and future.

For the same reason you don’t live 5, I’d be surprised if someone wanted to offer much for it.

17 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

For the same reason you don’t live 5, I’d be surprised if someone wanted to offer much for it.

I don't disagree with this at all either, which is why I'd try to flip it for a player. I'd do something "stupid" and try to get my hands on someone like CJ McCollum. He's a hometown guy and fringe All Star (at worst) who is still young and in his prime.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I don't disagree with this at all either, which is why I'd try to flip it for a player. I'd do something "stupid" and try to get my hands on someone like CJ McCollum. He's a hometown guy and fringe All Star (at worst) who is still young and in his prime.

With where they are as a team I’d be shocked if they were interested.