Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

It’s tough that we have two bigs that are afraid to enter the lane against shot blockers…but also can’t stretch the floor to alleviate that issue. How many big men are both soft and can’t stretch the floor?

I like our big men because they have switchability and upside. They both excel as passers for bigs and are excellent in pick n rolls. And they’re young & have upside. But they are frustrating. If they were tough mfers, we would be championship contenders…if not favorites. Their demeanor is keeping them from being elite and therefore, keeping the Cavs on the outskirts of elite. 

9 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

It’s tough that we have two bigs that are afraid to enter the lane against shot blockers…but also can’t stretch the floor to alleviate that issue. How many big men are both soft and can’t stretch the floor?

I like our big men because they have switchability and upside. They both excel as passers for bigs and are excellent in pick n rolls. And they’re young & have upside. But they are frustrating. If they were tough mfers, we would be championship contenders…if not favorites. Their demeanor is keeping them from being elite and therefore, keeping the Cavs on the outskirts of elite. 

... Jarrett Allen just had 33 and 18 against the best defensive center in the league, fouled the guy out, and this is when you're choosing to re-up the "soft bigs who can't compete tough in the paint" narrative? Really?

15 hours ago, candyman93 said:

This teams success is entirely dependent on the matchups they get.

I think they’d give Miami and Boston a LOT of problems. Mobley can stay in front of Tatum and Butler.

Philly and New York would crush us.

At peak health for all teams I think you might be right. But right now nobody in that second group (including us) is healthy. I think there could be a lot of playoff chaos this year on the "non-Boston" side of the bracket.

2 hours ago, FGK said:

... Jarrett Allen just had 33 and 18 against the best defensive center in the league, fouled the guy out, and this is when you're choosing to re-up the "soft bigs who can't compete tough in the paint" narrative? Really?

He played great. But he didn’t dominate Gobert. Gobert played a great game defensively. Allen shied away when it was Gobert in the lane. When Gobert went down, Allen took over.

I think you’re insane if you think our bigs play with consistent balls. 

3 hours ago, FGK said:

He got punked against the Knicks in the playoffs. He’s soft until he redeems himself in the playoffs. 

16 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

If Mobley played like this consistently we’d be title contenders. This game was him flashing the KG skill set we’ve been waiting for.

Edited by candyman93

34 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

If Mobley played like this consistently we’d be title contenders. This game was him flashing the KG skill set we’ve been waiting for.

Yeah. But they shy away from Amy dudes that can physically manhandle them. All it takes is one blocked shot/hard foul and these two will shrink away from the paint for rest of the game. 

The Pelicans had 22 FTA in the first 40 minutes of the game. The Cavs had ZERO. The Cavs were winning by 20+. Might be their strongest performance all year, overcoming a MASSIVE officiating gap.

11 hours ago, FGK said:

The Pelicans had 22 FTA in the first 40 minutes of the game. The Cavs had ZERO. The Cavs were winning by 20+. Might be their strongest performance all year, overcoming a MASSIVE officiating gap.

Not surprising we don't shoot many free throws. DG, our primary ball handler, does not attack the rim with wreckless abandon. He pulls up in the lane more often than not for floaters. Our two bigs are petrified by anyone who might make contact with them at the rim. Especially Mobley. We don't have an elite slasher on the wing, nor do we run a lot of motions to get cutters/easy looks at the rim.

2 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Not surprising we don't shoot many free throws. DG, our primary ball handler, does not attack the rim with wreckless abandon. He pulls up in the lane more often than not for floaters. Our two bigs are petrified by anyone who might make contact with them at the rim. Especially Mobley. We don't have an elite slasher on the wing, nor do we run a lot of motions to get cutters/easy looks at the rim.

End of commercial disclaimer on this post:

*Warning - Commenting without watching the game may cause: Looking foolish after making assertions that are clearly false, applying your preconceived conclusions about season-long trends with no regard for matchups or single game exceptions, or sounding like someone who just likes being angry about every single thing in life without reason. If these symptoms continue for a full season, you may need to consult a professional therapist. Ask yourself, "am I really this person?" before commenting without watching the game.*

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FGK said:

End of commercial disclaimer on this post:

*Warning - Commenting without watching the game may cause: Looking foolish after making assertions that are clearly false, applying your preconceived conclusions about season-long trends with no regard for matchups or single game exceptions, or sounding like someone who just likes being angry about every single thing in life without reason. If these symptoms continue for a full season, you may need to consult a professional therapist. Ask yourself, "am I really this person?" before commenting without watching the game.*

I do watch the games. You really don't think we're a finesse team? Our tough guys are Niang and Okoro. Everyone else is at best, league average in terms of toughness and grit.

2 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I do watch the games. You really don't think we're a finesse team? Our tough guys are Niang and Okoro. Everyone else is at best, league average in terms of toughness and grit.

We're definitely not a "beat you with rocks" team. But Mitchell's drive game is great. Allen is a tough interior player, and his offense has some finesse for sure but he still gets hit plenty. Okoro/Levert both have some cut and drive to them. And the "not watching" comment was specifically that Garland was going to the bucket quite a bit last night, definitely not his strength, but he did it a lot and well last night. A 22-0 FTA differential is a wild statistical anomaly regardless of play style.

3 minutes ago, FGK said:

Garland was going to the bucket quite a bit last night, definitely not his strength, but he did it a lot and well last night.

Yeah that’s fair…but he isn’t a dude who goes HARD to the rim. He can get to the rim, but he will never draw a lot of fouls because he doesn’t ATTACK the front of the rim like some explosive and bigger guards can. 

• 2 weeks later...