Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

On 2/2/2024 at 7:50 PM, BetterCallSaul said:

This is true. 

It's really not. He literally just showed y'all numbers to prove that it's not and you're still going off about it.

We lost in the playoffs because of coaching and offensive stagnation. Which are still our big questions for this year. Probably the biggest reason I'm still disappointed we didn't try for Nick Nurse in the offseason to fix the coaching issue (and by extension, possibly the offensive issue).

Now, it's certainly possible that the offense is on one of Garland/Mitchell not wanting to operate off-ball how they need to in order to succeed. We aren't in the coaching meetings and practices to know. But either way, the biggest question mark with this team is still JB.

2 hours ago, FGK said:

But either way, the biggest question mark with this team is still JB.

Very true. I don’t think he has any idea how to get us a score when we really need one. If our shots aren’t falling, we don’t have a set we can get into that doesn’t involve someone getting clean in ISO. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Still believe prime Shaq was the most unguardable player in basketball history 

Yeah Shaq was that dude. Literally a monster among man. The two I’ve seen refs swallow the whistle the most in my life watching the NBA were Shaq and Lebron James. Both guys got hacked to sheit and still managed to ball out. 

17 hours ago, FGK said:

It's really not. He literally just showed y'all numbers to prove that it's not and you're still going off about it.

We lost in the playoffs because of coaching and offensive stagnation. Which are still our big questions for this year. Probably the biggest reason I'm still disappointed we didn't try for Nick Nurse in the offseason to fix the coaching issue (and by extension, possibly the offensive issue).

Now, it's certainly possible that the offense is on one of Garland/Mitchell not wanting to operate off-ball how they need to in order to succeed. We aren't in the coaching meetings and practices to know. But either way, the biggest question mark with this team is still JB.

We lost in the playoffs because we had 0 spacing on offense and that has been fixed this year. 

5 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

Yeah Shaq was that dude. Literally a monster among man. The two I’ve seen refs swallow the whistle the most in my life watching the NBA were Shaq and Lebron James. Both guys got hacked to sheit and still managed to ball out. 

I remember my dad taking me to a game at the Gund Arena in the early 00s and I vividly remember him saying he wanted me to see Shaq play live before he retired. It wasn't Kobe that we were going to see, it was Shaq.

So we went to a Cavs game, as Cavs fans...to watch Shaq play.

Edited by AkronsWitness

8 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

I remember my dad taking me to a game at the Gund Arena in the early 00s and I vividly remember him saying he wanted me to see Shaq play live before he retired. It wasn't Kobe that we were going to see, it was Shaq.

So we went to a Cavs game, as Cavs fans...to watch Shaq play.

in reality that is a lot of what today's NBA. Im a fan of this team but I want to see Lebron/KD/Curry/Giannis/Butler.

Almost all sports are turning into that. If you have to drop the kind of coin to see a game, you gotta see it for a certain players.

Shaq was a pitcher with one pitch but it was a 120 mph fastball

When you didnt have an answer he would steamroll you. His playoff stats from 2000-2002 are bananas are amongst the best post season runs ever. 

But he wasnt a very versatile player. Hes the most swept athlete in the sport and struggled to adapt vs teams that could contain him. He was inconsistent defensively, he was a miserable foul shooter, and he struggled with conditioning and staying in peak form. He'd have random off years. I remember thinking he looked so washed in like 06 and then he was great again for 2 more years. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

This isn't true. The only way teams could contain him was when he was out of shape and too fat to run the floor for 4 quarters.

He was swept 5 times in the 90s when he was in the best shape of his life and in 2007 when he was fat and out of shape. He also got 4-1’d by the Pistons and Spurs. 

He was usually highly productive in most of those series but didn’t have a dynamic enough game to win in a wide variety of ways. Less valuable in 4Q of close games due to being a horrible foul shooter but he made his bones winning the game in the first 36 minutes. 

Shaq is arguably the most physically gifted player ever. Young Shaq was a mobile, athletic freak.  Prime Shaq was a dude the league has never seen before and likely won’t again.

Shaq’s only real issue was his commitment to the game.

Physically he packed on too much weight as he aged which impacted his endurance, ability to play defense consistently and eventually led to injury.

He also never really developed his game.  From the time he entered the league until he retired 90% of his game was just being bigger and stronger than everyone.  If he could have just managed to hit 75% from the line he’s potentially in the goat discussion.  Don’t get me wrong, he wasn’t without skill, but most of what he did his whole career was the same stuff he did as a rookie.  

• Like 1

Shaq was the Randy Johnson of basketball. Physically imposing with 2 pitches…an unhittable fastball (post game) and a slider (post game defense/rim protector).

Young Shaq could run the floor and fast break. 

If he could have hit free throws and been a better distributor, kept in better shape, he could have extended his prime another few years even without the ability to shoot.

Jimmy Haslem buying the Bucks is the best thing he’s ever done for Cleveland 

Third head coach in <1 year - check

Extremely old roster - check

Move all assets and limit all flexibility - check

Team falling apart - check

He’s a confused old man who desperately wants to win and tries short cuts because he doesn’t know how

• Like 2