Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

Only in December and Ive had to read 20 different media posts/articles about Donoval Mitchell leaving and speculating about his next team. Why. This seems like something that national media is trying to will into fruition and its incredibly frustrating to read.

I understand its a real possibility, but I dont get how Garland/Mobley getting injured for a month somehow means the Cavs are going to trade their franchise player and would Mitchell really bail on this team with so much talent and signed all of 'his guys' in the offseason because they had a bad year due to injuries to core players? I think hes smarter than that.

This feels like LeBron in 2010 all over again (to a lesser degree obviously) Where national media is basically writing so many pieces and talking about it so much almost like they are trying to make it happen themselves.

Frustrating man.

Edited by AkronsWitness

1 minute ago, AkronsWitness said:

Only in December and Ive had to read 20 different media posts/articles about Donoval Mitchell leaving and speculating about his next team. Why. This seems like something that national media is trying to will into fruition and its incredibly frustrating to read.

I understand its a real possibility, but I dont get how Garland/Mobley getting injured for a month somehow means the Cavs are going to trade their franchise player.

This feels like LeBron in 2010 all over again (to a lesser degree obviously) Where national media is basically writing so many pieces and talking about it so much almost like they are trying to make it happen themselves.

Frustrating man.

I’m not saying they should or shouldn’t trade anyone, but this team doesn’t impress me as constructed.

Injuries are a thing obviously, but Mitchell and Garland seem redundant to some degree. Mobley seems underutilized on the offensive side.

IDK, can’t really put my finger on why other than coaching but this team seems like the sum is less that the individual parts.

If someone was offering a whale of a deal for Mitchell and the team isn’t 100% certain he’s all in on staying here, I’d listen.  It’s not like we’d be breaking up the Beatles, this is a mid *** team based on performance.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m not saying they should or shouldn’t trade anyone, but this team doesn’t impress me as constructed.

Injuries are a thing obviously, but Mitchell and Garland seem redundant to some degree. Mobley seems underutilized on the offensive side.

IDK, can’t really put my finger on why other than coaching but this team seems like the sum is less that the individual parts.

If someone was offering a whale of a deal for Mitchell and the team isn’t 100% certain he’s all in on staying here, I’d listen.  It’s not like we’d be breaking up the Beatles, this is a mid *** team based on performance.

I think they have underperformed this year and that has mostly been because their starting 5 has never been healthy. However, this team finished with the 5th best record in the entire NBA last season and that was without Max Struss who has been fantastic this year for us. So I wouldn't say this team doesn't work.

I just dont know how we can gauge how good this team is when they have never been healthy and constantly shuffling lineups every night literally since the first game of the season.

The season is only 1/3 over and local/national media are acting like the world is on fire. "The Cavs should trade Donovan Mitchell to the Knicks" because of course, get him out of Cleveland and to a big market, yada yada. Same old tired **** .

Just frustrating..all of it.

4 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I think they have underperformed this year and that has mostly been because their starting 5 has never been healthy. However, this team finished with the 5th best record in the entire NBA last season and that was without Max Struss who has been fantastic this year for us. So I wouldn't say this team doesn't work.

this is true, and the Knicks are a bad matchup and all that, but they absolutely owned us last year on the playoffs.  We didn’t look all that close to competitive.

I just dont know how we can gauge how good this team is when they have never been healthy and constantly shuffling lineups every night literally since the first game of the season.

very true, absolutely fair.

The season is only 1/3 over and local/national media are acting like the world is on fire. "The Cavs should trade Donovan Mitchell to the Knicks" because of course, get him out of Cleveland and to a big market, yada yada. Same old tired **** .

Just frustrating..all of it.

LIS, I’m not looking to trade anyone per se, but of the right offer comes along I’m listening.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

this is true, and the Knicks are a bad matchup and all that, but they absolutely owned us last year on the playoffs.  We didn’t look all that close to competitive.

very true, absolutely fair.

LIS, I’m not looking to trade anyone per se, but of the right offer comes along I’m listening.

Im listening to a Garland trade before a Mitchell trade, but your not keeping Mitchell here if you trade away Garland soooo they are kinda stuck with having to make it work.

The small market Cavs are never in a position to trade away a top 15 player in the NBA because 1) they will never get equal value (i.e. Kyrie Irving) and 2) they will never get another chance at getting a player that good onto their team. I just dont see a situation where they trade him for different pieces and become better and the only way I would do it is if he came to Altman and personally told him that he doesnt intend to resign. Otherwise Im going down with the ship and letting him walk as a FA.

If they get one (like with LeBron), they need to do every and anything to keep him happy and on the team. Which I think they did by signing his guys like Struss/Jerome/Niang. Its just up to everyone else to pick it up and carry their weight and show him this is where he needs to be for the next 5 years--not NYC or Miami. 

Edited by AkronsWitness

On 12/20/2023 at 11:42 AM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think part of it is that our team played their butts off in the 21-22, 22-23 regular seasons to prove themselves while contending teams coast in the regular season. This inflated how good they appeared to be.

Also our supporting cast around Mitchell are all tier 2 players, and Mitchell doesn't elevate the talent around him, and he's not going to because he's just not that kind of superstar.

And the stuff you said. Im out on JB, I wouldn't be sad if we fired him after the season if we are going to bounce out the first round again.

• Like 2

On 12/20/2023 at 10:42 AM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Coaching is a huge part and we kept a lane duck coach during the figure it out season. It’s really unfortunately because we will fire JB and then not have a chance to decide with the new coach. 

JB was good for this team 3-4 years ago but he’s a rebuilding coach and isn’t suited for playoffs or matchup basketball and it ruined the teams future. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

Coaching is a huge part and we kept a lane duck coach during the figure it out season. It’s really unfortunately because we will fire JB and then not have a chance to decide with the new coach. 

JB was good for this team 3-4 years ago but he’s a rebuilding coach and isn’t suited for playoffs or matchup basketball and it ruined the teams future. 

He isn’t a rebuilding coach. He’s an assistant coach who we used as a rebuilding coach. He doesn’t develop anything. He should have never been hired to begin with. 

Edited by sdrawkcab321

• 4 weeks later...
19 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

It’s not a coincidence that we’re good without garland. A 2 small guard lineup just doesn’t work. They need to choose between the two. 

Probably. I'd love to somehow get a dude like Lonzo Ball. A big facilitating defensive PG who isn't horrible at hitting outside jumpers. Obviously not Lonzo because he's severely injured and hasn't played in forever...but a guy in his likeness.

On 1/23/2024 at 12:08 AM, sdrawkcab321 said:

It’s not a coincidence that we’re good without garland. A 2 small guard lineup just doesn’t work. They need to choose between the two. 

lol I got killed for suggesting we move on from Garland