Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

2 hours ago, roger murdock said:

Jimmy Haslem buying the Bucks is the best thing he’s ever done for Cleveland 

Third head coach in <1 year - check

Extremely old roster - check

Move all assets and limit all flexibility - check

Team falling apart - check

He’s a confused old man who desperately wants to win and tries short cuts because he doesn’t know how

Nice your in good voice 

4 hours ago, roger murdock said:

Jimmy Haslem buying the Bucks is the best thing he’s ever done for Cleveland 

Third head coach in <1 year - check

Extremely old roster - check

Move all assets and limit all flexibility - check

Team falling apart - check

He’s a confused old man who desperately wants to win and tries short cuts because he doesn’t know how

That 2021 Milwaukee team is the only champion that I can confidently state had the lowest basketball IQ of any championship team.

That teams entire strategy was just defend and have Giannis be a battering ram.

5 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

That 2021 Milwaukee team is the only champion that I can confidently state had the lowest basketball IQ of any championship team.

That teams entire strategy was just defend and have Giannis be a battering ram.

lol pretty much

they were a frustrating team. They should have smoked those nets with their size advantage but didn’t play to their strengths. When Harden was playing hobbled they didn’t pressure him and let him get into sets and pass to Durant who was a supernova. Harden was still bad that series but the guy could barely move and should have been a disaster. 

They finally got it together vs the Suns but good lord they made life difficult. Barely beat a hobbled nets team, didn’t play well vs an overwhelmed hawks team that shouldn’t have been there. 

I think one of the weaker or less impressive champions. 

• Like 1

I like Jarrett Allen, but he annoys me. Why is he always getting outrebounded by guards? Like in every game, I see him get outmuscled by dudes 1/2 his size.

I wouldn’t trade him, nor do I think he sucks, but that dude needs a shot of testosterone. He’s the least ornery big man in the league. 

5 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I like Jarrett Allen, but he annoys me. Why is he always getting outrebounded by guards? Like in every game, I see him get outmuscled by dudes 1/2 his size.

I wouldn’t trade him, nor do I think he sucks, but that dude needs a shot of testosterone. He’s the least ornery big man in the league. 

Because he’s a soft nerd. The same reason why he disappeared against the Knicks in the playoffs because the lights were too bright. 

A lot of it is scheme. Allen and Mobley are quick on their feet and switchable and spend a lot of time away from the basket defensively. I’ve posted on here before the clips of the Knicks series - there was a game where Mitchell had like 17 rebounds but most were over LeVert and Garland and he only had 2 against Mobley or Allen

• Like 1

Cavs as a team also have the 4th best rate at securing defensive rebounders (best team gets 1/100 rebounds more, bad teams get 7-8 less rebounds per 100) and Cavs also have the 4th best defensive Fg%

Rebounding could be better and it’s frustrating at times but Cavs are good at it. If it seems we give up too many rebounds part of it is that we also force more missed shots than other teams giving more opportunities for rebounds 

On 2/9/2024 at 9:49 AM, roger murdock said:

Rebounding could be better and it’s frustrating at times but Cavs are good at it. If it seems we give up too many rebounds part of it is that we also force more missed shots than other teams giving more opportunities for rebounds 

I feel like our guards rebound very well. Our bigs suck at boxing out or just mugging dudes trying to crash the boards. They aren’t dreadful rebounders…it’s just frustrating to watch them get outmuscled down there by guards consistently. I see possessions where Allen, in particular, allows 2-3 O rebounds in a possession because he’s afraid to mix it up.

Not gonna gripe too much though. This has been a fun run to go on! Lets fn goo

23 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

An absolute must watch. JB deserves his flowers.

Saw this on twitter yesterday and it was such a great watch. Really, really excellent job of breaking down what's working and where the concerns are with re-integrating Mobley/Garland. And showing just how much the added wing shooting (Strus, Niang, Merrill, even Okoro's improvement) has changed the math for the lead guards and bigs.

21 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I feel like our guards rebound very well. Our bigs suck at boxing out or just mugging dudes trying to crash the boards. They aren’t dreadful rebounders…it’s just frustrating to watch them get outmuscled down there by guards consistently. I see possessions where Allen, in particular, allows 2-3 O rebounds in a possession because he’s afraid to mix it up.

Not gonna gripe too much though. This has been a fun run to go on! Lets fn goo

I think some of the "Allen not mixing it up" concern is fair, and some is why he so rarely gets into foul trouble. There's a fine line between being aggressive and making yourself a 20-24 minute per game player with fouls.

Rebounding is also so much positioning, and (like in the video above) our switch-heavy defense often leaves Mobley/Allen running in from the 3pt line to try and help with rebounds. Definitely a concern if we run into a bigger, more physical frontcourt in the playoffs like NYK, which was our "hell matchup" last year.