2022 Official Commanders Training Camp Thread

turtle28

https://www.commanders.com/news/washington-commanders-announce-2022-training-camp-schedule

“Today the Washington Commanders announce the team's 2022 Training Camp schedule, with events to be held across the region. As the team enters its inaugural season as the Washington Commanders, fans will have opportunities to engage with the Commanders during Training Camp at Ashburn and FedExField. Training camp will run from July 27 through August 18, and feature a free practice event at FedExField and a series of practices at Ashburn. Commanders Training camp is supported by team cornerstone partners FedEx, Bank of America and Pepsi.

Anchoring the experience for fans, the Commanders will host a practice event at FedExField on Saturday August 6 from 6:45 p.m. - 9:00 p.m., with gates opening at 4:30 p.m. This free event will be open to the public, and fans can visit Ticketmaster HERE to claim tickets to sit in the lower bowl on a first-come, first-serve basis. Additionally, Club Level tickets will be available to Season Ticket Members, Suite Owners, Sponsors, and other invited guests.

During the August 6th event, Washington Legend London Fletcher and Julie Donaldson, Senior Vice President of Media & Content, will narrate practice and conduct live player interviews. Select fans also will have the opportunity to receive autographs from current Commanders players and coaches and Washington Legends. The practice that evening will also include performances from the Marching Band, the 2022 Commanders Entertainment Team, and the unveiling of the Command the Canvas art installation project, featuring local DMV artists artwork. A variety of food and beverages across the main concourse will be available for purchase. The Club Level will once again host "Taste of FedExField," which spotlights select offerings from our local DMV food vendors that will be available to fans throughout the season.

During the period of July 27-August 18, the team will host a series of practices in Ashburn for which fans can sign up for free for the chance to attend through a fan lottery system. Closer to Training Camp, fans will be able to view a full schedule of dates and select which days they would like to enter into the fan lottery system for the chance to attend camp practices at Ashburn.”

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

Hottest storylines for Commanders Training Camp/Preseason:

1. Can Wentz be consistent in the offense?

How quickly will Wentz get on the same page/develop chemistry with Terry, Samuel, Dotson, Cam Sims & Dyami?

2. When will Chase, Logan & Roullier be healthy and ready to go?

Will they be on PUP to start camp, or will they be able to participate at least in some drills in 10 days when camp starts?

3. Can Curtis Samuel’s groin stay in tact so he can start at least 3/4 of the season for us & be a versatile weapon for us?

If healthy he’s likely a 60-70 catch, 800-850 yd, 5-6 TD receiver for us.

4. Who will be our 3rd starting LB?

And, is he currently on the team or will he be signed in mid-August sometime or even after training camp if they determine that Mayo or Hudson aren’t up to the task of being the 3rd starting LB when we’re in our base 3-4 defense even if that is only 30% of the defensive snaps?

5. Who will be our starting RG?

Will the former Panther & Steeler Trai Turner beat out Wes S - who’s looked good the last 2 years when he’s had to play - or will Saahdiq Charles finally do enough in his development to beat out Trai Turner & Wes S the two veteran guards to be our starter?

6. Will Antonio Gibson average 16-20 carries and be our running back bell cow again?

Or, will our running game go back to more of a 3-headed monster again like in 2020 when Gibby got most of the carries 12-15 a game but, Barber took a lot of the short yardage in-between the tackle runs bc he was good at that & had a nose for the end zone & getting first downs on 3rd/4th & 1?

Can/will Brian Robinson take over more of the in-between the tackles/short yardage role this year for Gibby or will Gibby do well enough to keep the goal line carries and get near or over 10 TDs again?

If our carries will be split up like 2020 again it coukd look like this:

Gibson: 14 carries & 3 catches a game 

ARob: 6 carries a game, 1 catch a game

McKissic: 5 carries & 5 catches a game 

7.. Who will be the nickel/slot corner?

Will they have Juice be the slot corner when we go 3 corners which will be most of the game?

Or, will Fuller slide to the slot when we go 3 corners bc Juice is better suited on the outside while Fuller is good at both?

8. Who will take over for Landon Collins as the Buffalo Nickel?

Will Khaleke Hudson be the WLB/Buffalo nickel when we are in that package?

Or, will our rookie S Percy Butler beat him out to have that role?

Or, will they have Apke play the Buffalo nickel role?

Or, my favorite of the choices, have Jeremy Reaves come in to play deep cover 2 FS next to McCain while moving Curl from S to Buffalo Nickel?

Lastly, they could also re-sign Landon Collins to play the WLB/Buffalo nickel role like last year while having Jamin playing SLB and covering TEs?

9. If Logan Thomas can’t start the season will John Bates be our starting  TE?

Will he be an improved receiver where he can be similar to Logan in the passing game  - catching 4 or 5 passes a game & being a Redzone threat or, will he be just more of a great blocker in the run game again like last year who catches 2 passes a game?

Will Cole Turner, AGG or Reyes emerge as the 3rd best TE? And Will any of them show enough to be a good receiving threat/red zone threat in the way Logan is?

Turner & AGG are sleeper guys IMO. If Logan can’t play the 1st month/1st half of the season I could see either of them replacing his role as our main receiving TE & catching some TDs too.

10. Who will our 6th WR be?

Will we keep 6 or 7 WRs?

Will we keep Jared Patterson as a 4th RB over a 4th TE or 6th/7th WR?

Here’s the contenders for our last few roster spots on offense IMO:

Jarrett Patterson 

Alex Erickson

Kelvin Harmon

AGG

Dax Milne

Keith Ismael

Reyes

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

I know we won't do it.

But I'd be on the phone with Arizona, to see what it would take for LBer Isaiah Simmons.

Would be a perfect Buffalo Nickel @ the LBer position.

He has great speed & can cover the TE's or short routes & tackle well.

Not who you want covering deep man-to-man. It's why they moved him from Safety to MLB.

But his speed, along rookie FS Percy Butler would be awesome.

I think we will be a playoff team. Which means our picks will be in the later rounds next draft.

We can't trade our 2nd, cause it could go to Colts in Wentz trade if he plays 70%.

We can't trade our 3rd, in Case Wentz doesn't.

But why not throw a 4th & a player to Arizona, for Isaiah Simmons.

He would look good in Commander colors.

3 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

I know we won't do it.

But I'd be on the phone with Arizona, to see what it would take for LBer Isaiah Simmons.

Would be a perfect Buffalo Nickel @ the LBer position.

He has great speed & can cover the TE's or short routes & tackle well.

Not who you want covering deep man-to-man. It's why they moved him from Safety to MLB.

But his speed, along rookie FS Percy Butler would be awesome.

I think we will be a playoff team. Which means our picks will be in the later rounds next draft.

We can't trade our 2nd, cause it could go to Colts in Wentz trade if he plays 70%.

We can't trade our 3rd, in Case Wentz doesn't.

But why not throw a 4th & a player to Arizona, for Isaiah Simmons.

He would look good in Commander colors.

Why would the Cardinals trade their 2020 8th overall pick who broke out last year in the way I’m hopeful that Jamin Davis breaks out for the C’s this year?

There’s no way they do that IMO.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I hope Alex Armah FB makes the team. I would love to see a FB as part as the Offensive scheme similar the way SF does. 

I don't object to that out of hand BUT. Seems to me -follow the fullback and you follow the ball / ball carrier. I think I like the extra lineman up on the line . He can led block or seal the backside. Guess both ideas can co-exist ! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

I don't object to that out of hand BUT. Seems to me -follow the fullback and you follow the ball / ball carrier. I think I like the extra lineman up on the line . He can led block or seal the backside. Guess both ideas can co-exist ! 

Just to change it up and be a little unpredictable. 

22 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Just to change it up and be a little unpredictable. 

I think he’ll be one of the last players considered. It’s going to come down to, do we keep Armah? A 10th OL like Keith Ismael or a 4th OT? A 4th TE like AGG or Reyes? A 7th WR like Harmon or Milne? A 5th safety or a 6th CB?

I tend to believe those other positions are more important than a FB who might play 5-10 snaps a game on short yardage & special teams but that’s just me.

Edited by turtle28

One thing that’s standing out to me early on in “prognostication season” — as I call this period where nothing is happening but it’s close enough to the season that everyone is excited and thinking about football — is that I think I’m higher on our skill position players than most fans/observers seem to be. 

Yes, Logan Thomas and Curtis Samuel missed major time last year. But they both put up serious numbers in 2020 and seem like fair bets to be quality players this year. McLaurin is obviously a  consensus top 15 (arguable top 10) receiver at this point. Gibson/McKissic/Robinson is at least a middle-of-the-pack RB room, and I think they complement each other nicely. Bates/Turner similarly fit well together as the TE depth, filling different roles as needed situationally. And honestly the same is true with Brown/Sims/Erickson — you’ve got a deep threat, a bigger possession guy, and a prototypical slot man. 

The key, though, is that I think WAS fans are a lot higher on Jahan Dotson at present than the rest of the NFL observers. We got a lot of really positive reports on him, which seemed to go beyond the usual “showed flashes of his potential” or “made some head-turning plays that show what he can be one day” that you typically get about high-profile rookies. It was much more on the level of the info we were hearing about Terry McLaurin around this point of the summer, where he looks like a plug-n-play starter and possibly more. If he’s that…this group really should be higher on folks’ radars than they currently are. 

• Like 3

On 7/21/2022 at 2:00 PM, e16bball said:

One thing that’s standing out to me early on in “prognostication season” — as I call this period where nothing is happening but it’s close enough to the season that everyone is excited and thinking about football — is that I think I’m higher on our skill position players than most fans/observers seem to be. 

Yes, Logan Thomas and Curtis Samuel missed major time last year. But they both put up serious numbers in 2020 and seem like fair bets to be quality players this year. McLaurin is obviously a  consensus top 15 (arguable top 10) receiver at this point. Gibson/McKissic/Robinson is at least a middle-of-the-pack RB room, and I think they complement each other nicely. Bates/Turner similarly fit well together as the TE depth, filling different roles as needed situationally. And honestly the same is true with Brown/Sims/Erickson — you’ve got a deep threat, a bigger possession guy, and a prototypical slot man. 

The key, though, is that I think WAS fans are a lot higher on Jahan Dotson at present than the rest of the NFL observers. We got a lot of really positive reports on him, which seemed to go beyond the usual “showed flashes of his potential” or “made some head-turning plays that show what he can be one day” that you typically get about high-profile rookies. It was much more on the level of the info we were hearing about Terry McLaurin around this point of the summer, where he looks like a plug-n-play starter and possibly more. If he’s that…this group really should be higher on folks’ radars than they currently are. 

I had Dotson as a blue chip with Olave and Wilson honestly if this guy had anything at QB he would have rewrote every receiving record at Penn St. i think this guy can be even better then Terry in a few years. He can be special and I don’t say that about players we draft very often but without really putting anything since the draft into focus this was a guy me and my roommate kept talking about. I never mocked him to us picking at 11 but this FO making this pick gave me hope for this team moving forward!!! I wanted him over London but expected us to go OSU and I’m happy we didn’t!!! I fell in love with this kid after a post draft interview where he talked about taking a football everywhere he goes and listening to him speak about 3 weeks before the draft I was sold!!! His hands and tape were right there with the OSU guys. YouTubing interviews between the top guys his stood out as almost listening to a Terry interview

3 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

I had Dotson as a blue chip with Olave and Wilson honestly if this guy had anything at QB he would have rewrote every receiving record at Penn St. i think this guy can be even better then Terry in a few years. He can be special and I don’t say that about players we draft very often but without really putting anything since the draft into focus this was a guy me and my roommate kept talking about. I never mocked him to us picking at 11 but this FO making this pick gave me hope for this team moving forward!!! I wanted him over London but expected us to go OSU and I’m happy we didn’t!!! I fell in love with this kid after a post draft interview where he talked about taking a football everywhere he goes and listening to him speak about 3 weeks before the draft I was sold!!! His hands and tape were right there with the OSU guys. YouTubing interviews between the top guys his stood out as almost listening to a Terry interview

I think we need to slow down on the “Dotson can be better than Terry in a few years.”

I think he can be special and so agree he’s not far off from Wilson & Olave as a prospect but, he doesn’t quite have their upside.

Terry is arguably the best WR Washington has had since Art Monk. Dotson has a lot to prove he can be a definite top 20 WR in the NFL. At this point we’re not even sure if he’s a starter. Terry was our #1 week 1 of 2019 & hasn’t looked back. I can’t say I expect that kind of play out of Dotson. I expect him to play more like a Jamison Crowder (60-65 recs, 600-750 recs & at most a handful of TDs) as a young WR who hopefully develops into a more downfield threat than Crowder who’s just a slot reception gobbling WR.