so, this whole "no coordinators thing"

Apparition

How is it gonna work out?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. How is it gonna work out?

• A disaster! The team will be a laughingstock and Bill will resign in shame
    • Mediocre. The team will take a step back, but there will be enough ambiguity over the causes that we won't be able to blame this approach
    • Decent. The team will do about as well as last year, or improve slightly
    • Brilliant! The team will win the Super Bowl and the move will revolutionize football! No team will have coordinators by 2030.

I'm not really concerned. Parcells used to do this too, its not surprising BB thinks its doable. The defense has been good without an official DC for years. Josh has been the only official OC in over a decade. Wouldn't it make sense to try to keep things as close to how McDaniels left it for Mac's development rather than install a new OC and have him make his own offense?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

I'm not really concerned. Parcells used to do this too, its not surprising BB thinks its doable. The defense has been good without an official DC for years. Josh has been the only official OC in over a decade. Wouldn't it make sense to try to keep things as close to how McDaniels left it for Mac's development rather than install a new OC and have him make his own offense?

My biggest concerns are twofold:

1. Bill being stretched too thin at age 70

2. None of the guys potentially calling plays on offense have ever called offenses at the pro level

if I get a satisfactory answer to either or both of these concerns by week 6, I'll be pleasantly surprised

Just now, Apparition said:

My biggest concerns are twofold:

1. Bill being stretched too thin at age 70

2. None of the guys potentially calling plays on offense have ever called offenses at the pro level

if I get a satisfactory answer to either or both of these concerns by week 6, I'll be pleasantly surprised

#1 doesnt concern me at all. I bet he only gives his stamp of approval on defensive gameplans at this point. 

I think the offensive line, running backs, Mac, Kendrick Bourne, Tyquan Thornton, Hunter Henry, and DeVante Parker will cover up for any shortcomings from the ambiguity there is of an undefined offensive system.

Hopefully guys like Jonnu Smith, Nelson Agholor and Jakobi Myers can contribute fewer momentum killing drops. But those guys are complimentary rope players this season as they ought to be.

I think the offense will be borderline top 10 in yardage, scoring, and efficiency.

On 7/21/2022 at 8:54 PM, Deadpulse said:

#1 doesnt concern me at all. I bet he only gives his stamp of approval on defensive gameplans at this point. 

I agree. I'm 63 and just a regular guy. I walk 18 hole at least twice a week. Even with this heat.  BB is always on the bike I see no problem with his age.

I feel bad for Caley... he's seen as a future HC to many and can't even get a crack and calling plays after Mcdaniels leaves. 

He seems very much like someone who will be gone in a year or two. Either Judge is going to do well as the play caller this year or we likely get O'Brien as the OC next year.. either way Caley is blocked. 

I'm not convinced the offense is staying how Mcdaniels had it either.. all reports seem to be that they are transitioning to a "simpler" outside zone offense. We will know if that's the case next week but it seems like they are going back to basics. This should help out Smith / Bourne / Thornton at least ... and I think could slowly push out Meyers tbo

On 7/22/2022 at 1:19 AM, DoleINGout said:

I think the offensive line, running backs, Mac, Kendrick Bourne, Tyquan Thornton, Hunter Henry, and DeVante Parker will cover up for any shortcomings from the ambiguity there is of an undefined offensive system.

Hopefully guys like Jonnu Smith, Nelson Agholor and Jakobi Myers can contribute fewer momentum killing drops. But those guys are complimentary rope players this season as they ought to be.

I think the offense will be borderline top 10 in yardage, scoring, and efficiency.

I'm with you, I think our offense is really going to surprise people. 

People are way too worked up over an official title. Like some have said, this has been the case on the defensive side of the ball for years now.

• 1 month later...

I would say the complete lack of rhythm on offense yesterday is something that's gonna have to be fixed by week 6 for this team to have any shot at sniffing the postseason.

If things are still grabastic by then, Belichick is gonna have to change course. I just have no idea what kind of change would be in order. 

1 hour ago, Apparition said:

I would say the complete lack of rhythm on offense yesterday is something that's gonna have to be fixed by week 6 for this team to have any shot at sniffing the postseason.

If things are still grabastic by then, Belichick is gonna have to change course. I just have no idea what kind of change would be in order. 

Eliminate turnovers and it wasn't bad for week one.

• 2 months later...