What is you favorite / or most hated football colloquialism?

brownie man

I hate is when a coach say "I have to give x player more touches" but then still doesnt do it. Like the head coach has the power to call a plays for a certain player. It drives me crazy bc I play fantasy football and when a guy I own isnt getting touches even though he is talented and produces and the team actually plays better when he is getting touches. When that player dont get touches and the coach comes out and say he has to give him touches but still doesnt do it. Like why? Its not that hard. Call a play that give that player the ball.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

I hate is when a coach say "I have to give x player more touches" but then still doesnt do it. Like the head coach has the power to call a plays for a certain player. It drives me crazy bc I play fantasy football and when a guy I own isnt getting touches even though he is talented and produces and the team actually plays better when he is getting touches. When that player dont get touches and the coach comes out and say he has to give him touches but still doesnt do it. Like why? Its not that hard. Call a play that give that player the ball.

Maybe he's not getting open?

44 minutes ago, BigTrav said:

Maybe he's not getting open?

You can scheme a wide receiver open. Bubble screens, lining them up all over the place to create mismatches and easy quick catch and run type stuff.

As for running backs, there is no excuse not to give them touches. Don’t throw the ball 40+ times. Hand the ball off, then if you do throw there are passes out of the backfield. So coaches or dare I say good coaches should be able to find ways to give their good players the ball. 

2 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

You can scheme a wide receiver open. Bubble screens, lining them up all over the place to create mismatches and easy quick catch and run type stuff.

As for running backs, there is no excuse not to give them touches. Don’t throw the ball 40+ times. Hand the ball off, then if you do throw there are passes out of the backfield. So coaches or dare I say good coaches should be able to find ways to give their good players the ball. 

Do you have any particular players/examples in mind?

On 9/1/2022 at 6:05 AM, BigTrav said:

Can’t think of any examples in particular off top but I just know I continue to hear coaches specifically those calling the offensive players talk about needing to get their best players the ball more and still don’t consistently do it. 

On 9/3/2022 at 2:43 AM, stl4life07 said:
On 9/1/2022 at 7:05 AM, BigTrav said:

Can’t think of any examples in particular off top but I just know I continue to hear coaches specifically those calling the offensive players talk about needing to get their best players the ball more and still don’t consistently do it. 

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2002-09-06-0209060213-story.html

When charting pass plays from last season, Tice discovered that the Vikings won four of the five games in which they threw in Moss' direction 40 percent of the time.

Thus, Tice came up with his first rule of his first season.

"We fell into the Randy Ratio," Tice said. "It's my phrase. I thought it had a little ring to it. If we throw 10 balls in a game, four of those balls should be directed to Randy Moss."

"If we would have been doing this my rookie year, we would have jewelry around here," Moss said.

And if the Bears had drafted Moss instead of Curtis Enis in 1998 and Culpepper instead of Cade McNown in 1999, when they had the chance to do both, this opener would be very different, wouldn't it?

Back to arithmetic.

It's a bit confusing, even to the Vikings. Tice said in the first exhibition game, the sideline accountant assigned to keep track counted all plays.

"I wanted him to count all pass plays," Tice said, "so the first time I gave the wrong percentage."

In another game, Tice told offensive coordinator Scott Linehan to throw to Moss on eight pass plays in a row.

"Eight plays in a row, Daunte threw to somebody else because the coverage dictated it," Tice said. "That's why we're so proud of Daunte."

So that would count in the Randy Ratio, too, wouldn't it? After all, the intention to throw to Moss accomplished what the Vikings wanted to accomplish.

Well, no, said Tice.

"That would be 0-for-8, so that would be zero percent," Tice said.

I know my dudes @Forge and @ET80 remember the Randy Ratio, right?

• Like 1