What is you favorite / or most hated football colloquialism?

brownie man

5 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

This is gold right here. Capping the video off with him saying “3rd down punt” is the cherry on top. I had to go back to make sure I heard him right.

There's even more of it in a different video. That man had to be strung out on some illicit substances.

3 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Teams/players saying that no one believed in them, everyone was betting against them, etc.

In recent years, I've seen heavily favored highly thought of teams claim that no one gave them a chance. Like....what?

e.g. The Bengals in the Super Bowl when every media talking head picked them for the upset.

On 8/8/2022 at 6:59 AM, brownie man said:

I would say my most hated is: 

"Chomping at the bit"

This one literally makes my skin crawl. Hue Jackson used this one so much talking about players who sucked. After each loss "We're chomping at the bit to get back out there! I've just got to go watch the tape." 

I'm literally scared 😭

You hear chomping at the bit alot during training camp because it's so many guys going down with injuries like hamstrings and stuff. I swear I freaking hate this one lol like bro what does that even mean?? Like what is a bit?! I imagine like a dog trying to chew a piece of wood or something lol. 

"Chip on the shoulder" is probably number 2. I heard that one so much. Like 4-5 years of a freaking chip on the shoulder. 

Idk if anyone relates, but if so i'd like to hear some of the other ones out there. 

It's 'Champing' at the bit, anyway

• Like 4

- It's A Chess Game

It's not, it's a football game.

- Finishes his block

It's not really an idiom, but I can't see how this should come into scouting/analysis for OLmen. It basically means, carry on when the play is over, it's just antagonizing. Might be fun for us to watch, but people genuinely use it in scouting reports as a +

Edited by Hunter2_1

6 minutes ago, brownie man said:

No way lol 😂 

really? 🤣 

legit did not know 

I think you can use both, but...

To the dictionary we go:

Webster's says "champ at the bit" is to "show impatience at restraint; be restless." It comes from something said about horses when they bite their bits "repeatedly and restlessly." They "champ."

The AP says "champ at the bit" is "the original and better form."

So he's erroneous anyway! :D 

Nagy had a saying "Be You"

I always wished they just chose to be good football players/coaches rather than settling for that though.

I did love that Poles called Lucas Patrick 'a prick' when they signed him. Bears OL has been way too soft since Long went downhill. If you can't be really good, at least be really mean. (IDK if Patrick really fits the bill either tbh)

• Like 1