Bill Belichick on the hot seat?

rfournier103

Simple and straightforward: will Bill Belichick’s job be in danger if the Patriots post a losing record this season or another humiliating playoff blowout in the first round?

Bob Kraft has said publicly that he’s disappointed that the Patriots haven’t won a playoff game since February 2019. I think that if the Patriots don’t build on last year, or even regress, the Krafts will probably discuss it. 

Thoughts?

He leaves when he wants to. Its a miracle we've had ANY winning seasons since Brady left. They went 10-7 with a rookie QB. They went 7-9 with a shell of a human being at QB in 2020 in probably the strangest year in pro football history. Honestly, this is the best I could have ever hoped for post Brady. I was ready for 2-5 win seasons for like a decade. 

• Like 1

Simple and straightforward, who are they going to replace him with? There are currently 8 active coaches that have won a super bowl 7 of those guys combined have 7 wins, the other guy has 6. You know what's worse than a humiliating playoff loss? Not making the playoffs. 

• Like 3

On 8/8/2022 at 5:48 PM, Deadpulse said:

He leaves when he wants to. Its a miracle we've had ANY winning seasons since Brady left. They went 10-7 with a rookie QB. They went 7-9 with a shell of a human being at QB in 2020 in probably the strangest year in pro football history. Honestly, this is the best I could have ever hoped for post Brady. I was ready for 2-5 win seasons for like a decade. 

Also the  Boston media is given their so call expert opinions on how BB has no clue what he's doing. How dare he have no OC!!!!  Every night your here Felger and Bardard  ( what make this guy an expert and go to concerning the Pats) tell they know more and how THEY would run the Patriots.   I here Mac turning on the (frustrated) coaches or the players are shutting out BB!!!!!!!! WHAT PLAYERS ?? they are all young or new. Do you really think that's the case. Ya and Monkeys fly!!!

MY favorite they question Matt and Joe like these guy have no idea what they are doing. Yup BB is that dumb to have these so call amateurs running the offense. This is football not brain surgery, its new offense and it early.   Shut out the noise and be patient. 

We have listen to this media group for years. How there record reporting ?????? Fired!!!!   99% of them trashed Mac Jones before the draft. He can't play QB in today game !!!! Now he the next coming and the Pats are ruining his career. Ridicules.

Do I care what Judge did with Dave Gettleman NYG. Heck no. I remember a coach for the Browns that was judge by the media!!!! Yup they nailed that one!!

Yes I have concerns it in my DNA as a long time Pats fan (i can't help it!!) however I never listen to anyone that call Pats coaches basically idiots with no idea what they are doing. Especially the Boston media.

ADDED   Here's one I just read. Remember the the sky is falling!!!!

Mark Daniels

@MarkDanielsPJ

22h

Last year, through 19 days of camp, Mac Jones completed 68% (233/342) of his passes in competitive drills. He had 6 picks. This year, through 11 days of camp, Mac has completed 73% (150/207) of his passes in competitive drills. He has 6 picks.

Edited by m haynes

• 1 month later...

I have changed some what.

If this season is a bust and I owned the team I would demand changes with the coaching staff.  Do I want BB gone, no but he has to make changes. There's not one offensive coach on this staff with any experience, zero!! You have young guy but they are not close to running the offense. Yates is learning and he needs couple of year before he gains experience.

You can't allow this when Mac is going into his 3rd year!!!  It nuts and suicide for the organization. The last thing you want is Mac asking out!!!!  And please don't say that won't happen.

Last, I could care less on the record chase and I don't give a damn what he deserves for his pass success.  You draft well and sign good FAs and have a QB you will NEVER has a crap season, ever.

• Like 1

I think it depends on how bad things go .. if you start 0-4 this season could turn into a 5-12 type year. If that happens.. I think Kraft goes off and blows it all up. If this season ends under .500 I think BB, Groh, and even Mac could be in trouble. 

This being to the point where he lets a new coach and GM choose their new QB too. A new coach and gm are going to want their own guy at QB.. (Like imagine Bill O'Brien getting the call and him wanting Bryce Young here) and most of these young coaches are going to want one of the hyper athletic guys in the draft That's probably a top 5 pick.. so you can make whatever trade you want to get one of the top 3 QB's in the draft. Kraft is on the record saying that he felt not having won a playoff game in the last 3 years was unacceptable.. let alone a below .500 record. 

If they end closer to .500 I think it depends on how they finish the season. You could be 9-8 but lose the last 5 straight and miss the playoffs ( a super hard ending of the schedule) and Kraft might want change .. but if they end 9-8 and end the season well I think he's totally fine. 

I don't think it will come to this because I think 2 things happen: 

1) BB takes over the offense completely if they start 0-4 or 1-3 again. He calls all the plays.. he has Patricia and Yates focus 100% on protection and he's attached to Mac's hip. 

2) Halfway through the season.. you may feel things internally.. an extra sense of urgency.. Mac will feel it. He's also confident enough where I think he would go to BB and advocate for changes.. more RPO, more 5 wide, more Shotgun.. put the entire offense on his back. Because he's going to know that if BB is gone, Mac could be too. 

Anything under .500 is dangerous territory for BB.. especially if ratings continue to go down. Do I agree with blowing it up after this season? NOPE, but do I think it could happen.? YUP

Edited by Crimmage
  • Like 1

The Krafts would be chased out of town if they fired Belichick. Gregg Popovich hasn't won a playoff series since 2017 and has missed the playoffs for three consecutive seasons.

What Belichick SHOULD do however is actually hire an offensive coordinator; the whole keeping things in house and having him, Patricia AND Judge run the offense isn't going to work.

Edited by biggie.

I think the end result of this season could be pivotal.  If there's regression, I think we see public pressure from ownership to get things back on track.  If next season is another sub par finish, I think we could see some major shake-up.  While we've been spoiled with unprecedented success for 2 decades, it also set the tone and expectations for the organization and is a double-edged sword.  I don't think slipping slowly into mediocrity under the banner of 'rebuilding' will be acceptable to ownership or the fan base, especially with the rest of the division gaining ground.  Could that be the Krafts asking BB to step down?  Who knows.  

• Like 1

Obviously, I don’t want Belichick to go, either. But I think two changes absolutely have to be made if he’s going to stay in New England…

1. I absolutely agree that an Offensive Coordinator needs to be put in place and be given play-calling duties. 

2. I think a director of player personnel needs to be given control over drafting and free agency. Obviously, bill won’t like this, but if he wants to remain head coach, he should relinquish some of his GM duties. The talent level on the Patriots, especially on the offensive side of the ball. 

I wouldn’t overlook the Krafts’ desire to win. Robert Kraft isn’t Jeremy Jacobs. He cares about wins and losses, and Bill Belichick might have to make some adjustments if he wants to stay.

Bourne not getting reps today and the PG stinks?????   If I'm  Kraft I would be all over BB if they lose today.

Screw his ego and I run the team crap!  Bill you say you do what best for the team, well your full of crap, ( Harry was on the field , liar) you talk out both sides of your mouth.

Kraft,  BB if you keep Bourne on the bench and the offense stinks, you better hope your defense saves you. I'm telling you now, you will leave me no choice on your future. Do you understand ... BB, grunt, sniff mumble.  Kraft  Illl said...

Edited by m haynes
  • Like 1