1. 1. who was this week's mvp?

• Tyler Davis
    • Trevor Davis
    • Antonio Davis
    • Dale Davis
    • Davis Love III
    • ThatJerkDavis

8 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

If Rodgers is hell bent on outlasting Love all the more reason to get Love under contract for a few more seasons.  Keep Rodgers around as long as possible. 

That's just the thing though and why I think this is all such a tough needle to thread. Good luck with that team friendly Jordan Love extension if Rodgers plays at least 2 more years and doesn't shut the door with regard to playing even longer beyond that. It's very easy to see a world where Rodgers is still playing at an extremely high level and enjoys the level of talent around him. If you're Jordan Love at that point, you're signing elsewhere. And in the meantime, why sign an extension without the assurance Rodgers will be gone come 2025? If he's as hell bent on not being pushed out the door as I believe he is, then Love won't have a choice other than to depart on his own accord after 2024.

57 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Well yes we will have no succession plan in place.  Worst thing you can do is be caught without a QB.  If Rodgers is hell bent on outlasting Love all the more reason to get Love under contract for a few more seasons.  Keep Rodgers around as long as possible.  As of now Love has no market value.  Maybe that will change next year but I doubt it.  If the Packers want Love  they may have to pony up a bit more than market to keep him.  Shouldn't be prohibitive.  

Love did show a bit more against the Saints.  At least the kid is continuing to improve.  He'll never beat out Rodgers for the starting gig unless Rodgers is playing in a wheelchair.  No decisions have to be made anytime soon fortunately.  In an ideal world you would develop a QB under HOF Rodgers and have him ready to assume the starting role when Rodgers hangs it up. 

Think that is what Gute was trying to do just pulled the trigger a few years to early.  For the record thought drafting a QB was the right thing to do at the time.  Didn't see the Rodgers revival coming either.  

If you want to have the succession plan in place, sometimes you take your shot when it presents itself.

The opportunity to draft Love might have presented itself as that.  

46 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

That's just the thing though and why I think this is all such a tough needle to thread. Good luck with that team friendly Jordan Love extension if Rodgers plays at least 2 more years and doesn't shut the door with regard to playing even longer beyond that. It's very easy to see a world where Rodgers is still playing at an extremely high level and enjoys the level of talent around him. If you're Jordan Love at that point, you're signing elsewhere. And in the meantime, why sign an extension without the assurance Rodgers will be gone come 2025? If he's as hell bent on not being pushed out the door as I believe he is, then Love won't have a choice other than to depart on his own accord after 2024.

You don't think Love considers a 5 year $30M type contract after this 2022 season?

2 years of voided at the end gives Love some leverage to leave if desired after 3 years

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, squire12 said:

If you want to have the succession plan in place, sometimes you take your shot when it presents itself.

The opportunity to draft Love might have presented itself as that.  

I dont fault the Packers for the Love pick.  You gotta take chances, and sometimes they don't work out.  Josh Rosen, Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold were all much higher picks that didn't work out.   Taking a chance with a lower first round pick wasn't that risky especially in that draft.  

Love may end up working out, but he won't be the last high round QB that has question marks for the Packers.   Love was worth the risk. IMO

The only thing that's ever bothered me about the Love pick was the trade up to get him.  If Love had fallen to GB's pick at 30, it would have been a lot easier to spin it as a "the value was just too good to pass up" pick.  The trade up shifted the conversation from Love being a value pick to "GB wanted Love badly" which I think is part of what set Rodgers off.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

I dont fault the Packers for the Love pick.  You gotta take chances, and sometimes they don't work out.  Josh Rosen, Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold were all much higher picks that didn't work out.   Taking a chance with a lower first round pick wasn't that risky especially in that draft.  

Love may end up working out, but he won't be the last high round QB that has question marks for the Packers.   Love was worth the risk. IMO

I don't either.  

4 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

The only thing that's ever bothered me about the Love pick was the trade up to get him.  If Love had fallen to GB's pick at 30, it would have been a lot easier to spin it as a "the value was just too good to pass up" pick.  The trade up shifted the conversation from Love being a value pick to "GB wanted Love badly" which I think is part of what set Rodgers off.

It was a 4th round pick to move up.  Not 2 future 1st ( Lance) or a future 1st that ends up top 7 ( Fields).

Edit...

If that what sparked the fire under Rodgers to get the return performance,  then just about every team would trade a 4th round pick for that return.

Edited by squire12
  • Like 2

Nonetheless, the trade up changed the entire narrative around the pick. 

See my edit....

7 minutes ago, squire12 said:

It was a 4th round pick to move up.  Not 2 future 1st ( Lance) or a future 1st that ends up top 7 ( Fields).

Edit...

If that what sparked the fire under Rodgers to get the return performance,  then just about every team would trade a 4th round pick for that return.

I definitely think the Love pick helped (re)light a fire under Rodgers.  I think that alone makes the pick entirely defensible.

From a regular season ROI....

13-3 and #1 seed and MVP by your QB

13-4 and #1 seed and MVP by your QB

Hard to argue that!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Only flaw in your logic is what guarantee does Love have at a starting gig elsewhere?  Best he could probably do is a low level contract with a chance to compete that's it.  Only way this equation changes is if Rodgers goes down for an extended period of time and Love balls out.  Until then though Love won't have a lot of options either. 

Packers might have to pay more to keep him.  Switching teams and having to learn a new offense isn't ideal either.  Love's best chance I believe is in Green Bay.  He's likely no more than a back up either here or somewhere else.  At least in GB he will eventually get a shot. 

Love hasn't put enough on film to be in demand.  Why I think if the Packers opt to keep him they will be able to iron out a deal acceptable with  Love.  Way I see it. 

Edited by Scoremore
  • Like 2