1. 1. who was this week's mvp?

• Tyler Davis
    • Trevor Davis
    • Antonio Davis
    • Dale Davis
    • Davis Love III
    • ThatJerkDavis

1 hour ago, Sandy said:

Thank you, that wobbliness of his passes drives me nuts. I know I'm going to get called an idiot and a Love hater, but while his footwork has come together, his spirals aren't tight, his accuracy is poor even on short passes, and he stares down his first option before throwing.

He's still younger than some rookies but the odds of him being an effective starting QB dwindle each year. 

Kind of a weird way to phrase this. “His accuracy is poor even on short passes.” He was incredibly accurate on intermediate to deep routes last night. Yes, he’s had issues on short throws to the flat, but that doesn’t mean his accuracy was poor on all levels.

• Like 3

I am not a Love fan. I thought he was a late first round talent, but I did not want the Packers to take him. For the most part I think he’s looked subpar. I was slightly encouraged last week. It seemed he was throwing in rhythm more and his footwork was much improved. This is the first time I’ve actually thought he has a chance. He looks much better than his first two years.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TheEagle said:

Kind of a weird way to phrase this. “His accuracy is poor even on short passes.” He was incredibly accurate on intermediate to deep routes last night. Yes, he’s had issues on short throws to the flat, but that doesn’t mean his accuracy was poor on all levels.

That's fair. I said in another thread, it seems the easy stuff is hard for him and visa versa.  Hopefully it comes in time. In his third training camp, Rodgers looked like an NFL QB. In his third, Love looks like a backup.

Which isn't terrible - he's still one of the 64 best on the planet at what he does. And he's young enough to improve. 

1 minute ago, Sandy said:

That's fair. I said in another thread, it seems the easy stuff is hard for him and visa versa.  Hopefully it comes in time. In his third training camp, Rodgers looked like an NFL QB. In his third, Love looks like a backup.

Which isn't terrible - he's still one of the 64 best on the planet at what he does. And he's young enough to improve. 

Did he though? He looked like something during Dallas.

He didn’t have the media juice around him looking like something. He was considered a bust and Randy Moss trade bait.

Dallas which was what like game 11 or 13 in his third year, was when he arrived in everyone eyes. Not in preseason of his third year.

6 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Did he though? He looked like something during Dallas.

He didn’t have the media juice around him looking like something. He was considered a bust and Randy Moss trade bait.

Dallas which was what like game 11 or 13 in his third year, was when he arrived in everyone eyes. Not in preseason of his third year.

Dallas opened the eyes of the casual fans and a bit of the national media, but that training camp he looked good. It was his first two training camps that he looked lost. 

Still, I remember that the next year this forum was split badly. I was on the pro-Rodgers side but I'd say there were a good deal more who were pro-Favre and bemoaned the fact that he had to compete with Rodgers before he got traded.

1 hour ago, hitnhope said:

I posted that he played really well through the first drive of the 2nd quarter.   He just didn't sustain it.  I was complementary of his play.

Are you a Butkus, Singletary, or Urlacher guy.   Do you pine for the days of Peanut?  You are just like the Meathead Bears fan who ignore what is obvious to everyone else and see what you want to see. 

IDK. But I guess my patience is pretty long since I know he likely doesn't have to play unless injury. If he had to play week one I'd be quite concerned, as it is, he's a backup. So when I don't flip **** over him not being perfect, I don't think it's because "I'm a bears fan" it's because it kinda doesn't ******* matter right now unless you're dying to be patted on the back about being right about the pick, which is 90% of people scrutinizing him to death.

5 hours ago, hitnhope said:
5 hours ago, MVP21 said:

I don't understand how anyone could have watched last night's game and not have been thoroughly impressed by Love's performance, he absolutely balled out with several big time throws. The deep shot to Toure was an absolute time, the PA to Winfree was a perfectly thrown ball, the Amari drop was placed perfectly just outside of the LBs reach, the scramble play to Taylor in the corner of the endzone might have been his most impressive throw of the game, hitting Doubs in stride with 2 dudes covering him isn't even in the top 3 throws he made. There were others too. Love played like a starting NFL QB surrounded by backup caliber players last night

Expand  

Love played well in the 1st quarter.  His best stretch as a Packer.    He didn't sustain that level after the 1st quarter.  He reverted back to what we had seen previously, with questionable accuracy.

Maybe because the talent around him got worse as the game progressed? 

It's kind of hard to stay consistent when your OL is constantly mixing and matching. Plus you're WR talent goes down a notch.

Think it had more to do with the talent around him. N O backup DL got after Love that game. N O has to have the deepest DL in the league.

Some of us are being way too critical of the kid. This is really year two for him, 2020 was a wash. As long as we're seeing improvements game to game we should be happy. He had a good game with zero turnovers. That's something to be optimistic about.

Edited by St Vince
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, St Vince said:

Kpassagnon is a legit NFL player. He was a former 2nd rd pick.  He'll be on an NFL roster, not working at Lowes. He's a big guy at 6'7 290 and Jones made him look tiny. Jones put him right on his butt with a light punch. I think they should seriously think long and hard not to expose him to waivers.

He didn't blow him off his feet, he made contact and the guy tripped. And that's still his ideal matchup. 

1 hour ago, Sandy said:

Dallas opened the eyes of the casual fans and a bit of the national media, but that training camp he looked good. It was his first two training camps that he looked lost. 

Still, I remember that the next year this forum was split badly. I was on the pro-Rodgers side but I'd say there were a good deal more who were pro-Favre and bemoaned the fact that he had to compete with Rodgers before he got traded.

Rodgers did look really good his third preseason. 

3 hours ago, StatKing said:

Jordan Love isn't the only QB that has to deal with drops. Its year 3 for him, at this point I don't want excuses, I want results. He's a first round pick, the guy shouldn't be struggling against fringe roster players.

He just isn't very consistent. He'll have one or two drives a game that look great then struggle to hit wide open guys for the next 3 drives.

My bet on the under is still a winner! 

3 hours ago, hitnhope said:

No they weren't "great throws".   The throw to Toure is incomplete a high percentage of the time.  That is not a catch the receiver makes very often.     The throw to Amari was fine, but not a "great throw".  If a QB can't make that throw, they aren't NFL caliber.

People are counting plays that would require great catches to be made as drops.  Absolving Love of the ball Doubs was outwrestled for last week is an example.   The throw was late and inside.  Doubs made a good adjustment, and then got outwrestled for the ball.  Doubs needs to win that, but Love needs to make a better throw.  His ball placement was a big part of that play.  

Toure has to make that catch. If he wants to play in the NFL that is a catch. 

The throw to Amari you are speaking of was 100% on Rodgers. Love read the zone and threw where Rodgers was supposed to stop his route. He kept running into the defender and had to reach back for the catch. 

Context matters, a whole lot! Love was playing at a higher level than his teammates and they are making him look bad. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I want Winfrey on the team. Over Rodgers. 

3rd rounder or not, the guy has done very little . Aaron isn’t throwing to the guy. Period. And I doubt that changes this year. 

I doubt that anyone will disagree with that.  Winfree has done everything he can to make the roster.  These are the guys that I usually champion at this time of year.  But, I have a few issues with keeping Winfree.  First, I just don't see what he offers the team when Watkins and Lazard, especially, enter the fray.  I think they do what he does, and they do it better.  Second, as much as we see that Rodgers isn't fantastic so far, he is the closest thing to Randall Cobb that we have, and that is a rather unique skill-set on this team.  Randall is prone to missing time.  If he is a major component to the offense, having a similar player may play to our advantage.  Perhaps that is as a member of the practice squad.  Third, when looking at this position, I am looking at this being roster spot number 52 or 53.  I think keeping an extra WR is less advantageous than keeping a guy like Chris Slayton, Jack Heflin, Caleb Jones, or even Rico Gafford.  Is anyone worried that Juwann Winfree is going to become a 1000 yard receiver somewhere else?

• Like 1

Can we all please remember to acknowledge that Love didn't have a true first year because of covid. No training camp, no preseason, no live reps for preseason, and didn't even dress for game day. I say this not trying to sway those who don't think he will amount to anything, or say he is our definitive next starting QB. However comparing his 3rd year to Rodgers 3rd year simply does not hold water. I don't hate the debate about Love, but the fact is this is more his second true year than his 3rd... Also remember, he is 23 as well. I hope he keeps improving, but even I am not sure if he is the future. 

Edited by Toddfather
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Toddfather said:

Can we all please remember to acknowledge that Love didn't have a true first year because of covid. No training camp, no preseason, no live reps for preseason, and didn't even dress for game day. I say this not trying to sway those who don't think he will amount to anything, or say he is our definitive next starting QB. However comparing his 3rd year to Rodgers 3rd year simply does not hold water. I don't hate the debate about Love, but the fact is this is more his second true year than his 3rd... Also remember, he is 23 as well. I hope he keeps improving, but even I am not sure if he is the future. 

I googled his stats and they said....... You are a Chicago bears fan

• Like 3