30 members have voted

1. 1. who was this week's mvp?

• Tyler Davis
    • Trevor Davis
    • Antonio Davis
    • Dale Davis
    • Davis Love III
    • ThatJerkDavis

Zach Tom is clearly ahead of Trevor Penning at this point in their careers. Im still just shocked 32 teams let him fall to day 3, not even going to give Gute too much credit cause he took Rhyan over him for some reason. 

I just don't think Tom is going to make a great pro guard, he's a tackle or center. Bakh-JRJ-Myers-Jenkins-Tom might be our best 5. Newman, Nijman, Rhyan on the bench on game days is a hell of a group.

• Like 2

Watched the Midnight copy from NFL network and my biggest takeaway is this:  there is an ad for 1800PHONESEXY that has the worst looking women I have ever seen on television.  I can’t even conceive of a plausible explanation for why. 

Anyway, to the game:  

-I feel like Love’s new problem is the opposite of last year.  He just fires at his first read whether open or not.  Sometimes it works out, sometimes it don’t. 

-hope those ST gaffes are just preseason kinks being ironed. 

-the backups on DL look amazing. Kind of find it odd they kept Heflin in the whole game. 

-I think it’s now obvious why Benkert is gone. They like Etling. 

-just glad we made it through the week of joint practices/game without significant incident.  Only injury was to  Scott, yes?

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Zach Tom is clearly ahead of Trevor Penning at this point in their careers. Im still just shocked 32 teams let him fall to day 3, not even going to give Gute too much credit cause he took Rhyan over him for some reason. 

I just don't think Tom is going to make a great pro guard, he's a tackle or center. Bakh-JRJ-Myers-Jenkins-Tom might be our best 5. Newman, Nijman, Rhyan on the bench on game days is a hell of a group.

What I saw from Tom looked like he was working, I had a friend tell me he saw him getting moved a bit. Neither of us were focused on him and just remember a few plays. Obviously the one quality Tom doesn’t have is mass but his athleticism and technical game already show up. Jenkins will likely be getting paid  as a tackle next season so using him there probably makes sense, but if we have a configuration with Nijman T Jenkins G, we might be rock solid everywhere on the line. 

17 minutes ago, craig said:

Any Rhyan observations from last night?  

He played 27/63 snaps. Same as Caleb Jones and at the same final part of the game. Nothing stood out for me but that’s both good and bad. Both of those guys will likely get a full half to work next game. 

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I feel like every one of Penning's red flags came out this past week.  You see the potential, but he's a bit underdeveloped and he needs to play with better control.  You don't have to take out the angry out of him, but he's going to cost New Orleans a few drives because of late flags.  And in terms of value, Zach Tom was insane value.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

The numbers last night were Christian Ponder like, not Love overall

Did you watch the game? He looked much better than his stats. This is the first game I’ve actually felt good about his performance. He played well.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Refugee said:

What I saw from Tom looked like he was working, I had a friend tell me he saw him getting moved a bit. Neither of us were focused on him and just remember a few plays. Obviously the one quality Tom doesn’t have is mass but his athleticism and technical game already show up. Jenkins will likely be getting paid  as a tackle next season so using him there probably makes sense, but if we have a configuration with Nijman T Jenkins G, we might be rock solid everywhere on the line. 

Tom was moving people on the Doubs TD drive. I think people assume Tom isn’t strong enough, but I don’t think that’s the case. Dude has a bit of a fire hydrant build. He had several more bench reps than Rhyan—despite having longer arms. The dude looks ready to start in the NFL.

13 hours ago, Gopackgonerd said:

To me, he is really just a decent gadget player right now. Quick outs and end arounds seem to be the only kind of plays he can get yards out of. Kind of reminds me of Ty Montgomery. Excelled in college as a scat WR, but doesn't translate well so switches to RB. Don't know if he's ever going to get open enough in the NFL. Route running hasn't been that good from what I've seen thus far.

Lot of flaws with Amari.  Doesn't run good routes .. doesn't have good hands .. not fast enough.  Maybe they can make a change of scenery type deal with some other team out there?

16 minutes ago, TheEagle said:

Did you watch the game? He looked much better than his stats. This is the first game I’ve actually felt good about his performance. He played well.

He had a solid first half, but then couldn't get anything going in the second half.  If pressed to make a hard line decision on Love right now I'd say he's never going to be anything special.  

11 minutes ago, TheEagle said:

Tom was moving people on the Doubs TD drive. I think people assume Tom isn’t strong enough, but I don’t think that’s the case. Dude has a bit of a fire hydrant build. He had several more bench reps than Rhyan—despite having longer arms. The dude looks ready to start in the NFL.

I also see a guy strong enough to play, just not at the top end of NFL strength/size spectrum and that’s some of the strongest dudes on the planet so that’s ok for a rookie. I think he can add to that.

Bench numbers are a glimpse at strength but I’d bet Rhyan has more power in his lower half which is probably a better indicator of how well you can move people. Either way, Tom is knocking on the door and Rhyan is still 3rd string. Both could end up as starters here. 

Edited by Refugee

15 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

What about adding 71 drop yards?

Stats don't work that way because you could add drop yards to the other 33 QB's as well. Also preseason should be much easier to put up stats.

Watched an interview with Simms and Simms, and I think their take is spot on. Everything else aside, there isn't a crispness or pace or spin to his throws. The bobbled 5 yard out to Dobbs last week was a wobbler and behind him. In year 3, a 5 yard out should be a laser and a spiral and located perfectly even if he had to throw it in his pajamas. Their final thought up to now was he's ok, nothing special about him, but where does ok take you ? A pretty fair assessment.

Edited by cannondale
  • Like 2

I don't understand how anyone could have watched last night's game and not have been thoroughly impressed by Love's performance, he absolutely balled out with several big time throws. The deep shot to Toure was an absolute time, the PA to Winfree was a perfectly thrown ball, the Amari drop was placed perfectly just outside of the LBs reach, the scramble play to Taylor in the corner of the endzone might have been his most impressive throw of the game, hitting Doubs in stride with 2 dudes covering him isn't even in the top 3 throws he made. There were others too. Love played like a starting NFL QB surrounded by backup caliber players last night

• Like 5