The Move to Arlington Heights - Official Thread

beardown3231

Still don't know how people are going to get there. You are pushing the stadium further south which would make even walking there more difficult and longer. There are still no bars, restaurants and the parking and road access remain much the same.

8 minutes ago, dafreak said:

Still don't know how people are going to get there. You are pushing the stadium further south which would make even walking there more difficult and longer. There are still no bars, restaurants and the parking and road access remain much the same.

This must be a culture thing...stadiums in Europe very rarely having parking around them...part of the game day experience over here is you walk to the stadium with your mates and talk about what you think is going to happen or what you want to see...wouldn't feel the same just getting out a car and being right on the doorstep hahaha

16 minutes ago, dafreak said:

It's a big unsolved question.  Maybe you could do something using the McCormick skybridge?  But that's like a mile walk to travel a 1/4 mile direct, pretty sure at least half of our local fans would go cardiac with that kind of trek.  And there are bars and restaurants up and down Michigan straight west of there but (sorry MMike you're not going to undestand this one either) I can't really imagine people wandering over that way after (it's a whole 1km!) or before a game. 

9 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

This must be a culture thing...stadiums in Europe very rarely having parking around them...part of the game day experience over here is you walk to the stadium with your mates and talk about what you think is going to happen or what you want to see...wouldn't feel the same just getting out a car and being right on the doorstep hahaha

Make the rickshaws free and I'll consider it...It's already a long walk, now made longer....

36 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Truth be told I think the Ownership & Warren don't want to be greedy and own the fully stadium...listening to Warren he sees this as something bigger than a stadium...he clearly wants to help the city

Do you actually believe this?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StLunatic88 said:

Do you actually believe this?

On this I actually do...they could have leveraged the city to get Arlington to do what they wanted...yes it would have taken more time but it would have eventually happened...I honestly believe that the ownership & Warren want to be in Chicago...I also don't think anything in Warren's history say he wants to bend anyone over...I think he believes in business where everyone comes out of it with something...will never be exactly equal but I think he sees a legacy here rather than just lining pockets.

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

On this I actually do...they could have leveraged the city to get Arlington to do what they wanted...yes it would have taken more time but it would have eventually happened...I honestly believe that the ownership & Warren want to be in Chicago...I also don't think anything in Warren's history say he wants to bend anyone over...I think he believes in business where everyone comes out of it with something...will never be exactly equal but I think he sees a legacy here rather than just lining pockets.

I mean, Im glad for you that you can still have this kind of outlook. But nothing they have done at this point makes me think they want to "help the city". Its all about the business, and if avoiding red tape is better for the business at this time, thats what they will do. Warren is a business man, not some community savior. Hes just very good at the relationship side, hes not doing this for free.

I still dont believe a single thing until shovel hits dirt

• Like 2

I encourage everyone to go back and try to find all information on original Soldier Field renovation.

All the cost projections and promises.   And then look at what it actually turned out being.  

I encourage you to do this with all new huge tax and spending programs as well.   It is a lie 100% of time.

The original loan on renovation  (and this isn't Bears fault) has not been paid by city.  Per Tribune as of 2023 the Soldier Field loan has ballooned from the original $399 million to $631 million.

They haven't paid ANY of the principal down.  None.

ALL of that was supposed to be paid from the 2% hotel tax.  And it hasn't.

NOW we are adding a billion+ loan on top of that and the 2% hotel tax is going to pay it?

Raise your hand if you believe that.  

A reporter asked why other loan wasn't paid with the tax. (A good question).  Because of recessions and over estimating revenue was the answer.

My follow ups: Aren't there going to be recessions in next 40 years?   How are you going to add a billion of debt to near 700 million and pay that when you can't pay it now?

Bears should finance a stadium themselves.  I am in favor of a property tax break.  I am not in favor of politicians and people in power dipping their beak in these huge deals and bankrupting Chicago. 

Edited by dll2000
typos
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Bears should finance a stadium themselves.  I am in favor of a property tax break.  I am not in favor of politicians and people in power dipping their beak in these huge deals and bankrupting Chicago. 

Quite literally none of this will ever impact me as I am not even a resident of Illinois, but this whole thing is spot on. Its why fanbases/cities are finally pushing back against owners.

If the places can give tax breaks and other incentives, great. If there is some unused land or whatever they can get to the team for cheap/free yea do that stuff. But the payments from the average Joe for stadiums is something that is going the way of the Wishbone, and you dont want to be the last fanbase stuck with that bill

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dafreak said:

I get there just fine every Sunday and I come from the southeast. I park at McCormick Place and walk

14 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I mean, Im glad for you that you can still have this kind of outlook. But nothing they have done at this point makes me think they want to "help the city". Its all about the business, and if avoiding red tape is better for the business at this time, thats what they will do. Warren is a business man, not some community savior. Hes just very good at the relationship side, hes not doing this for free.

I still dont believe a single thing until shovel hits dirt

I agree it is business...of course Warren wants the Bears to come out this looking great and making plenty of money...I just don't believe he will step on people to do so...now if it was anyone else without a track record I would be cynical as hell about all of this...but I look at what he did in Minnesota and it holds weight with me...of course it could all go wrong and one or all parties don't get what they want out it...but I am willing to air on the side of being positive given his past.

• Like 1