The Move to Arlington Heights - Official Thread

beardown3231

2 hours ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

DLL, you have an eerie way of making good points with me.  I think we're quite different in our views on the world, but even when I don't like what you think I can usually see the reasoning.  Reason I'm saying this is I was best man at a destination wedding* in Cancun and it's when there were all kinds of fresh travel advisories etc.  We went of course but weren't nearly as adventurous as we normally are on vacation. Didn't hurt that we had two really young kids we were away from for the first time, but like you say perception and reality.   I have a weird thing where I get along with/like to work with/am friends with more people from the other side of politics on most of the issues I feel strongly about,  really makes things weird but I hope I can at least understand other pts of view.

Thanks man.  I appreciate that attitude and I do my best to share it as well.    

I have a history of tolerating different points of view from people in my life.   

I have been minority opinion on here and elsewhere in my life for a lot of things, that can be tough.  Especially when it may cost you something.   

I have also been in majority too on occasions and in spaces and I try not to gang up on someone with a minority opinion (aside from Packer fans - but honestly I am just teasing them). 

I also won't ostracize or cut people out of my personal life who disagree with me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Thanks man.  I appreciate that attitude and I do my best to share it as well.    

I have a history of tolerating different points of view from people in my life.   

I have been minority opinion on here and elsewhere in my life for a lot of things, that can be tough.  Especially when it may cost you something.   

I have also been in majority too on occasions and in spaces and I try not to gang up on someone with a minority opinion (aside from Packer fans - but honestly I am just teasing them). 

I also won't ostracize or cut people out of my personal life who disagree with me.

I actually can really appreciate the dialog between you and @BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW. I actually think it is healthy and important to be able to discuss issues and topics from opposing viewpoints. I think that far too often people segregate themselves from others because of not wanting to have open and honest discussions about topics that may be uncomfortable. That discomfort often comes from a lack of understanding of other perspectives. Nothing wrong with a discussion or debate when it can be done respectfully.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Other cities/counties want NFL teams.   It is naive to think they won't leave or can't leave.   This isn't Disney World leaving FL.   It would be easy for Bears to find another city that wants them inside or outside of Illinois.   Especially now.   

For most teams I think this is a real threat, and as scummy as the NFL and their Owners are, I do think there are a Handful of teams that they just wouldnt completely separate from their "area" and the Bears in Chicago feel like one of those teams

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

For most teams I think this is a real threat, and as scummy as the NFL and their Owners are, I do think there are a Handful of teams that they just wouldnt completely separate from their "area" and the Bears in Chicago feel like one of those teams

I think if the Bears had a brand new owner I'd be more inclined to think they'd go to Whitefish Montana or someplace else.  It also pays to remember they have big plans for this place besides Sundays.  If this is going to be year round income they need to be convenient to transportation and central to population. Arlington makes a TON of sense in that way, not too far from anywhere, plenty of highways in and out. Oswego does not.  Really tough to find a single parcel of land that fits what I think their parameters are as much as Arlington.  

It would be epically Bearsey if this fell apart over a tax bill though;  the meatballs could lament how cheap the Bears are, the anti tax people could live for decades on the outrage,  my own complaints about traffic would become so dense they'd create a black hole, etc etc. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

I think if the Bears had a brand new owner I'd be more inclined to think they'd go to Whitefish Montana or someplace else.  It also pays to remember they have big plans for this place besides Sundays.  If this is going to be year round income they need to be convenient to transportation and central to population. Arlington makes a TON of sense in that way, not too far from anywhere, plenty of highways in and out. Oswego does not.  Really tough to find a single parcel of land that fits what I think their parameters are as much as Arlington.  

It would be epically Bearsey if this fell apart over a tax bill though;  the meatballs could lament how cheap the Bears are, the anti tax people could live for decades on the outrage,  my own complaints about traffic would become so dense they'd create a black hole, etc etc. 

@StLunatic88

Arlington is perfect.

That is why it is likely to happen.   The marriage makes too much sense.

But I am just saying Bears aren't going to roll over and agree that local govt. can charge them whatever they want whenever they want because they think they can.   Like they do to smaller businesses.   

They have other options.   

I am not sure who is mafia and who is senator in this scenario - NFL or local govt.

Is it weird they didn't have something worked out in advance on the valuation?  I remember the group pushing for the Olympics in Chicago had all that **** worked out, all kinds of contingent contracts were already signed even when we were one of eight cities.  

Heard something kinda interesting that brought that back to me on Hoge and Jahns, they mentioned the South Works area as a possibility if the Bears were to stay in Chicago. Kind of intriguing.   I wonder if the superfund status matters as much for a stadium as it does for the housing that keeps failing to sprout down there?

11 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Interesting. Also would allow for additional airport access through Milwaukee. I haven't spent much time in Waukegan but the few times I have been there I always wondered why the lakefront area had not ben developed. 

1 hour ago, dafreak said:

Interesting. Also would allow for additional airport access through Milwaukee. I haven't spent much time in Waukegan but the few times I have been there I always wondered why the lakefront area had not ben developed. 

It's not happening.  But it is illustrating to Cook/Arlington to stop being stupid and get with program.  

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

It's not happening.  But it is illustrating to Cook/Arlington to stop being stupid and get with program.  

Agree but if a venue change were to happen Waukegan is much more intriguing than Naperville. 

1 minute ago, dafreak said:

Agree but if a venue change were to happen Waukegan is much more intriguing than Naperville. 

Agreed.

I can't see Naperville happening under any circumstances.  I think they would leave the state entirely first.  

1 hour ago, dafreak said:

Why do you think so? Is that more specific to your own location or something else? Depending on where in Naperville you have reasonably quick access to I-88/355/55. Plenty of open space. Lots of hotels and close to Oak Brook and Schaumburg which also have lots. Why is that any less appealing than a move to AH or Waukegan?

For the record I live very close to Naperville and would still prefer AH over it - I’m just curious about the added trepidation about a move west vs. north. 

6 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Why do you think so? Is that more specific to your own location or something else? Depending on where in Naperville you have reasonably quick access to I-88/355/55. Plenty of open space. Lots of hotels and close to Oak Brook and Schaumburg which also have lots. Why is that any less appealing than a move to AH or Waukegan?

For the record I live very close to Naperville and would still prefer AH over it - I’m just curious about the added trepidation about a move west vs. north. 

I don't know why to be honest, I just find the prospect of the stadium being in Naperville unexciting. Arlington Heights would be my preference too.

• Like 1