2023 NFL Draft Prospects

Madmike90

Some really impressive looking athletes at the weigh ins for the East-West Shrine game I am looking forward to seeing in the game...

WR...Shaq Davis...6-5" 216lbs with 34'1/4" arms...South Carolina State...

Given we have ESB and Getsy has had receivers like Lazard & MVS in Green Bay it is clear a WR this big and with so much insane length will be of interest to us...add in the fact he averaged over 20 YPC and I could see him being exactly the type of athlete we target...interested to see what routes he can run and what separation against better CBs looks like but a lot of tools for sure.

OT...Carter Warren...6-5" 323lbs with 35" arms...Pittsburgh...

I have questions some of the technical aspects of Warren's game but no one can doubt his frame...if you were building a LT in a lab he would look like Warren...hopefully he takes reps at LT all week.

OL...Quinton Barrow...6-5" 322lbs with 34'1/4" arms...Grand Valley State...

Played LT in college but could be a better fit inside at OG...as a lot of athletic upside for his size which could help him overcome the level of competition concerns...will be interesting to see where he takes reps in practice and the game.

DT...Brodic Martin...6-5" 337lbs with 34'1/4" arms...Western Kentucky...

Maybe not the most obvious kind of player for us but remember this isn't Lovie's "Cover 2" Flus values real size...Martin is similar in build to Grover Stewart who weighed 347lbs coming out of college...would love to see how he copes with double teams in the run game.

S...Tyreque Jones...6-2" 195lbs with 33'3/4" arms...Boise State...

Plays a bit of a hybrid safety nickel role at Boise...would probably need to bulk up and become a safety at the next level...Jones has been productive throughout his Boise career and has massive experience as a 6 year senior...probably a UDFA but could be good for the PS.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, anonymousGM said:

Do you think Seattle calls about #1 pick? They have a good bridge QB in place and might want to move Dk Metcalf.

#1 for #5 and a star WR to pair with Mooney and Claypool? 

What does Seattle perceive to be their playoff window? Do they think they can win with Geno? Do they think they can win in the next 3 years with Metcalf? Is the difference between competing in that division or not Bryce Young? Removing your best piece on offense and leaving yourself with just 31 year old Tyler Lockett would be very bold. Why trade a tier 2 nfl WR before he’s even in his prime 

7 hours ago, anonymousGM said:

Do you think Seattle calls about #1 pick? They have a good bridge QB in place and might want to move Dk Metcalf.

#1 for #5 and a star WR to pair with Mooney and Claypool? 

I think there’s a far better chance they’d give us 5 and 20 (plus one of their 2s this year per the value chart) to get to 1 than 5 and DK, and even at that I think a trade up for them from 5 is pretty unlikely.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I think there’s a far better chance they’d give us 5 and 20 (plus one of their 2s this year per the value chart) to get to 1 than 5 and DK, and even at that I think a trade up for them from 5 is pretty unlikely.

I think if you are drafting in top 5 and don’t have a viable young qb in place you shouldn’t pass on drafting a QB and even moving up for your preferred choice.  Unless you don’t like QBs.  That is best for franchise.

That being said I think age of Pete comes into play and they likely try the vet qb route and try to load up.   

I even think the OSU qb would do better by end of season in 2023 with a full offseason than Smith would. 

11 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I think if you are drafting in top 5 and don’t have a viable young qb in place you shouldn’t pass on drafting a QB and even moving up for your preferred choice.  Unless you don’t like QBs.  That is best for franchise.

That being said I think age of Pete comes into play and they likely try the vet qb route and try to load up.   

I even think the OSU qb would do better by end of season in 2023 with a full offseason than Smith would. 

I think this will factor a lot in their decision. I also think with Pete having been proven vindicated choosing Geno/Lock over Russ and then Geno over Lock, it’d be pretty hard for him to then immediately cut bait with Geno. 

• Like 2

Really like that Ricky Stromberg is starting to stand out at the Shrine game practices...I wasn't surprised he was 6-3" 315lbs but the fact he has 33" arms and over an 80" wing are great numbers for a centre...strength has never been an issue so it is about how he tests out when it comes to agility...if we think he can play in this zone scheme then he is another mid-late round prospect who could become a really good development piece...this centre class has very little talent at the top but a lot of good development/depth guys IMO.

A guy who I am really late to the party on but think Flus & co might love in the mid round as a depth rusher is Texas' DT Moro Ojomo...6-2'1/2" and 293lbs but with over 34" arms & over a 83" wing he has typical 3T size...his stats don't jump out on paper but watching him he plays with excellent quickness & motor...obviously he is a bit under but as a situational UT and I reckon even LE if we want that bigger stronger guy on certain downs he could be a fit...tape against Bama was impressive even if he didn't pad out the stat sheet...

He is #98...you can see the difference with interior push and Young having to move off the spot when he rushing compared to when he isn't...

On 1/23/2023 at 7:12 PM, Madmike90 said:

I just feel it becomes silly season every year with this type of thing...never heard anything about Carter's work ethic or desire until after the game he struggled with his conditioning...makes it very difference that someone who has been called out mid-season IMO...

Did they not say something similar about Fields and his work ethic.

I think between the Combine, Pro days and the team workouts, the Bears should really know what type of work ethic Jalen will have.  

13 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

He is #98...you can see the difference with interior push and Young having to move off the spot when he rushing compared to when he isn't...

He's going to measure out well, and has some pass rush to him, but he seems like a negative in the run game. Not even a zero, a negative. The second he gets more than one guy (even just a pass off block) he is completely washed out. 

Wouldnt hate him as a Developmental Big End, but I think someone falls for the pass rush potential and over drafts him. Just hope its not us

On 1/23/2023 at 6:05 PM, topwop1 said:

Well there have been some rumors out there that Carter might not have the passion to be great and work hard at his craft because of his sheer talent. Not saying it's true because I don't pretend to know these things but I've read that more than a couple times now

Whereas all I've heard about Anderson how he is a true alpha among alphas and how much he loves the game 

Guys like that with his skillset don't come around often and he can potentially be a true franchise cornerstone on defense similar to how Urlacher was for us for so long 

I guess I'm glad I don't have to make these types of decisions

But if you ask me now who I would have taken 1st overall in last year's draft I would tell you Aidan Hutchinson hands down over Trevon Walker

We heard same things about Hutchinson last year how he is not a crazy athlete and doesn't have a signature skill in his pass rush repertoire but all the guy does is make plays and it is evident he is a leader for that Detroit D

I see Carter take some plays off here and there on film.  Even with him being spelled.  Which is the concern.  But it is the only concern for me.  (outside of character, but we don't get access to interviews and background).    In his defense I am told he was playing through an injury this year to his knee.  

I would say you have it reversed though with Anderson and Carter. 

Carter is the true Alpha among Alphas in this draft in my opinion.  He is a special talent whereas Anderson is a worker bee making most of his ability.   

I have not seen another college DL with Carter's get off and strength combined.   Chris Jones was/is bigger and stronger.   Donald was quicker and much more technical with his hands and played lower.  But Carter is right there with both of them in terms of pure talent and upside. 

The big difference is Jones and Donald hustle more than Carter.  Donald is just a freak workout guy with a huge gas tank - few guys like him inside - no one in history actually.  Jones didn't hustle on some plays and that was his knock and why he fell, but it was false.  I watched Jones every play in several games and he looked like he was loafing on some plays, but they were always after he ran sideline to sideline chasing screens and he was simply gassed.   He is like 330 running 40 yard sprints.  He should have been subbed, but MSU had no depth and they left him in.   KC got a gift with him falling to 2nd because scouts are stupid sometimes.   Carter did get subbed and still took some plays off.   So the knock is legit to me unless he was playing through injury.  

(I didn't watch Quinnen Williams in draft process in 2019 as Bears had no first or 2nd round picks that year - I was watching for 3rd - 5th round RBs LOL).  

I remember Jalen Ramsey played on a good FL defense.  But even on that defense he was considered the best guy.  That is what Carter has been on GA defense for two years now.  Even last year when practically whole defense was drafted early.

I foresee Poles moving down draft and not getting Anderson or Carter so all the Carter vs. Anderson talk will be moot.   

But we'll see.  Should be fun to watch whatever happens.  This what Detroit fans feel like every year during offseason?   

The more I watch him, the more Id really like Skoronski as a Center.

He's likely going to get drafted higher by someone willing to risk it for him as a Tackle, and settle if hes just a guard. But if we make the move down with Indy, and get their 2nd, if Skorionski falls enough, Id make the trade back into the 1st for him.