2023 NFL Draft Prospects

Madmike90

10 hours ago, BearsFanForever said:

Did they not say something similar about Fields and his work ethic.

I think between the Combine, Pro days and the team workouts, the Bears should really know what type of work ethic Jalen will have.  

Yeah 100%…it was said he was a last guy in first guy out type…nothing could be further from the truth.

6 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

He's going to measure out well, and has some pass rush to him, but he seems like a negative in the run game. Not even a zero, a negative. The second he gets more than one guy (even just a pass off block) he is completely washed out. 

Wouldnt hate him as a Developmental Big End, but I think someone falls for the pass rush potential and over drafts him. Just hope its not us

I don’t think anyone is going to confuse him with a 2 gap DT…he is the type who will play the run on the way to the QB but we need these types of situational pass rushers as well…the more versatile and explosive we can get up from the better.

Some really nice measurables amongst guys I like coming out of the Senior Bowl today...especially in the trenches...

OT...Darnell Wright...6-5" 342lbs with 34'1/8" arms with a wing of 82'3/8"...Tennessee

OT...Wanya Morris...6-5" 317lbs with 35'3/8" arms and a wing of 85'6/8"...Oklahoma

UT...Byron Young...6-3" 297lbs with 34" arms and a wing over 81'1/2"...Alabama

UT...Zaach Pickens...6-3" 300lbs with 34'1/4" arms and a wing of nearly 82"...South Carolina

NT...Keeanu Benton 6-3" 312lbs with 33'6/8" arms and a wing of 81'6/8"...Wisconsin

NT...Jerrod Clark...6-3" 343lbs with 33'7/8" arms and a wing of 82"...Coastal Carolina

NT...Cameron Young...6-3" 304lbs with 35" arms and a wing of over 82"...Mississippi State

DE...Keion White...6-5" 280lbs with 33'5/8" arms and a wing of just under 80"...Georgia Tech

DE...Isaiah Foskey...6-5" 262lbs with 33'6/8" arms and a wing of 81'5/8"...Notre Dame

DE...Derick Hall...6-3" 252lbs with 34'3/8" arms and a wing of 83"...Auburn

Elsewhere...

WR...Jonathan Mingo...6-1" 226lbs with 32" arms & a wing over 76"...Ole Miss

TE...Luke Musgrave...6-5" 255lbs with 35'5/8" arms & a wing of just under 80"...Oregon State

TE...Payne Dunham...6-5" 258lbs with 33' 2/8" arms and a wing of 80'6/8"...Purdue

LB...Dorian Williams...6-1" 228lbs with 32'6/8" arms and a wing of 80'1/2"...Tulane

LB...Daiyan Henley...6-1" 230lbs with 33" arms and a wing of 78'3/8"...Washington State

CB...Tyrique Stevenson...6-2" 204lbs with 32'5/8" arms and a wing of 77'2/8"...Miami

CB...Darell Luter Jr...6-0" 191lbs with 32'1/2" arms and a wing of near 78"...South Alabama

I few disappointments as well...DE Thomas Incoom (short 6-2")...LB Ivan Pace (short 5-10")...WR Tank Dell (short 5-8")...WR Xavier Hutchinson (length 31")...LB Dee Winters (short 5-11")...DE...Byron Young (short 6-2")

4 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

WR Tank Dell (short 5-8")

And 163 lbs. super disappointing for him. I see for the east west shrine measurements, Zay Flowers only came in at 5’9 too and AT Perry was 6’3 (was reportedly 6’5). 

Stealing this from another website, but paraphrasing. 

Senior bowl day 1 standouts:

DJ Dale, DT, Alabama -

kinda got buried in the fold at Bama but impressed against top IOL in practice, showing hints of being more competent than the backup/rotational ceiling he was previously given. 

Dawand Jones, OT, Ohio State -

absolutely enormous tackle that showed off at both run blocking and pass blocking prowess, but there are concerns on how he’ll move at that weight and his balance. 

Luke Musgrave, TE, Oregon State -

came in with great size for a TE and showed explosiveness and ability even though he was only cleared to play recently after his knee injury. 

Puka Nacua, WR, BYU

showed great ball skills and catch radius, didn’t struggle at all to get open and was productive 

John Michael Schmitz, C, Minnesota
might be cementing himself into the tail end of the first round with a good showing of core strength and leverage against bigger and stronger players. Fits different scheme types

Rashee Rice, WR, SMU

he was a standout and appears to be one of the most talented guys out there. He also didn’t sleep the night before because he stayed up studying the playbook all night so he wouldn’t be behind anyone. 
Ronnie Bell, WR, Michigan 

had a bad drop. Just another schmuck Michigan wr. 

4 hours ago, Ty21 said:

And 163 lbs. super disappointing for him. I see for the east west shrine measurements, Zay Flowers only came in at 5’9 too and AT Perry was 6’3 (was reportedly 6’5). 

I think the difference with Flowers is everyone expected him to be 5-9” but at least he was over 180lbs which is a good number for him…Perry coming in at 6-3” was a surprise because he looks taller on film but at least he has great length…Dell is a cool player to watch but he is just so small it limits what you can do to his entire side of the field not only in the passing game but also running the ball.

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I think the difference with Flowers is everyone expected him to be 5-9” but at least he was over 180lbs which is a good number for him…Perry coming in at 6-3” was a surprise because he looks taller on film but at least he has great length…Dell is a cool player to watch but he is just so small it limits what you can do to his entire side of the field not only in the passing game but also running the ball.

Kevin Nealon of Saturday Night Live graduated at 5’8 and is now 6’4, so maybe there’s still hope for him before the draft. 

I eval’ed the top 5 DL/ED to just get some fresh impressions. 
•whelmed by Bresee and Murphy both. Bresee just seems weak. Didn’t push the line, regularly made weak arm tackles. Murphy didn’t do anything at all on a technical level, his gimmick is just running past a tackle that didn’t backpedal with him fast enough. 
•Tyree probably the best pure pass rusher of them. He was effective with finesse moves, burst off line, and bull rush. 
•Will Anderson has the quickest burst of any, but his size hurts. It shows against bigger linemen. His most significant plays, he wasn’t even blocked or accounted for. He’s tremendous at reading the rb or scrambling qb though. If I’m right here, that would make him pretty close to Jadaveon Clowney’s skillset 

•Jalen Carter is strong as hell, gets tremendous push, good burst and instincts and if he’s not making the play, he’s probably a reason someone else is. But he disappears at times. If he can clear up work ethic and motor/laziness concerns before the draft, he might be the most talented defender in the draft. 

Edited by Ty21
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I wonder how much Creed Humphrey Poles will see in John Michael Schmitz?...

Both are similar sized & share similar athletic profiles...similar experience starting in college...similar skill set and are plug and play from day one.

Schmitz would be a great get for us if we don’t add a C in FA. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ty21 said:

I eval’ed the top 5 DL/ED to just get some fresh impressions. 
•whelmed by Bresee and Murphy both. Bresee just seems weak. Didn’t push the line, regularly made weak arm tackles. Murphy didn’t do anything at all on a technical level, his gimmick is just running past a tackle that didn’t backpedal with him fast enough. 
•Tyree probably the best pure pass rusher of them. He was effective with finesse moves, burst off line, and bull rush. 
•Will Anderson has the quickest burst of any, but his size hurts. It shows against bigger linemen. His most significant plays, he wasn’t even blocked or accounted for. He’s tremendous at reading the rb or scrambling qb though. If I’m right here, that would make him pretty close to Jadaveon Clowney’s skillset 

•Jalen Carter is strong as hell, gets tremendous push, good burst and instincts and if he’s not making the play, he’s probably a reason someone else is. But he disappears at times. If he can clear up work ethic and motor/laziness concerns before the draft, he might be the most talented defender in the draft. 

Lukas Van Ness is a guy I just keep coming back to.

For me ATM

1- Anderson and Carter - IDGAF which. I want one of them in  Bears uniform

2- Wilson - Awesome consolation prize

3- Van Ness - Getting close to Wilson, dude gets a ridiculous amount of pressures and just reminds me of Judon when I see him. Guy just is either too fast or too strong for the guy across from him.

4- Murphy - has a lot of physical gifts, but I keep getting Vernon Gholston vibes when he gets beat on a play he has all the advantages. IDK, I may be overthinking it.

5- Bresee - I like more than Murphy but his injury history drops him.

13 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Schmitz would be a great get for us if we don’t add a C in FA. 

I really think they're gonna move forward with Patrick at C with a fight between mustipher and kramer for the backup role.

They brought patrick in for the Starting C role specifically - if not for him breaking his thumb on day 2 of camp he would have started/stayed there. then, in the only game he started at C, his natural position, he got hurt 10 snaps in. At only $4M, i think they focus on LG/RT if they're gonna upgrade/draft someone

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

I really think they're gonna move forward with Patrick at C with a fight between mustipher and kramer for the backup role.

They brought patrick in for the Starting C role specifically - if not for him breaking his thumb on day 2 of camp he would have started/stayed there. then, in the only game he started at C, his natural position, he got hurt 10 snaps in. At only $4M, i think they focus on LG/RT if they're gonna upgrade/draft someone

As a counterpoint, Patrick was also likely brought in to be a short term stop gap at the position. Is he a guy they want to start, or one they know can start and you can get by? We don’t really know. It would also be putting a lot of faith in your 2022 7th rounder who missed all of last year with a knee injury to be 1 snap away from being the anchor of your IOL at this point. I don’t even want to think about our backup C being Mustipher again. I’m far from as big a Mustipher detractor as some around here, but how many times does he have to show to be not good enough before it’s accepted and we cut bait? Especially this offseason when we have absurd FA money and he’s out of contract anyway? He seems like a great kid. Cool. There are a lot of great kids who don’t get to continue to keep their roster spots while they underperform. Our standard for acceptable play level needs to be higher than Sam Mustipher moving forward. Far higher.

I can live with Patrick at C for 2023, but if that’s the path we need more behind him IMO. I’d rather Patrick be a somewhat overpaid experienced fallback option at C behind a top tier upside rookie if possible though.

Plus, I think Schmitz is gonna be a plus starter at C, and quickly. This offseason should be about finding long term plus level starters in the OL. At his very best, Patrick is maybe a middle of the pack starter who’s already gonna be 30 this year, so he doesn’t really fit either of those things. 

Edited by AZBearsFan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

I think that would be a big mistake...I still like Patrick but the idea of handing him a starting job after what we seen this offseason would be neglect...no issue at all with him competing for a starting gig as all players should but it has to be with a talented free agent signing or rookie.