2023 NFL Draft Prospects

Madmike90

Just now, StLunatic88 said:

As I look into the Lineman in this draft, I would REALLY Like to get John Michael Schmitz, but I feel like we need to come away with one of him, Joe Tippmann, Oluwatimi or Jarrett Patterson. One of those guys completely changes the immediate and future make up of the OL

Luke Wypler is another guy who makes a lot of sense...

I am a big fan of Rick Stromberg if we are looking for a center a little later in the draft...not sure he is the athlete we really want but he is tough and physical...I like him more than both Oluwatimi & Patterson.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I am a big fan of Rick Stromberg if we are looking for a center a little later in the draft...not sure he is the athlete we really want but he is tough and physical...I like him more than both Oluwatimi & Patterson.

I see why people say that about Wypler, but he just always leaves me unimpressed while I watch him. Hes polished, hes solid, but hes never jumping off the screen, and I think hes maxed out on potential (as OSU does with many non-OT Lineman) and for as high as he is projected to go, Id rather take some guys who I feel are similar to his level later in the draft. Hes also more of a pass protector to me than a Run blocker, which isnt a bad thing, jsut seems like the reverse of what we want on the Interior.

I do think Stromberg would be a nice backup/project OL pick (think he might actually end up better as a Guard) later in the draft, but I cant agree that Id rather have him over than Oluwatimi. I know hes one of my favorites, and I have him higher than most, but I have them atleast a round apart at this point. But Patterson I have them in the same range, is kind of just preference with those two (but at this point, I havent seen Patterson fail against top NFL talent like I have with Stromberg)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I see why people say that about Wypler, but he just always leaves me unimpressed while I watch him. Hes polished, hes solid, but hes never jumping off the screen, and I think hes maxed out on potential (as OSU does with many non-OT Lineman) and for as high as he is projected to go, Id rather take some guys who I feel are similar to his level later in the draft. Hes also more of a pass protector to me than a Run blocker, which isnt a bad thing, jsut seems like the reverse of what we want on the Interior.

I do think Stromberg would be a nice backup/project OL pick (think he might actually end up better as a Guard) later in the draft, but I cant agree that Id rather have him over than Oluwatimi. I know hes one of my favorites, and I have him higher than most, but I have them atleast a round apart at this point. But Patterson I have them in the same range, is kind of just preference with those two (but at this point, I havent seen Patterson fail against top NFL talent like I have with Stromberg)

I think Wypler can be a plug and play C from day one which is massively important for us this offseason...I am not sure he would ever be an all-pro but he will never be a let down...he also brings that athletic upside this OL is going to need at that centre spot...I also think he is an effective run blocker when he is asked to play that outside zone role...no he isn't going to power a NT out the hole but very few centers will and as you said his pass pro might be the best of any center in the class...I have him as my #3 center right now behind JMS & Tippman and have a late 2nd-early 3rd grade on him...

I have Stromberg a bit ahead of Patterson and a lot ahead of Olu who I think is being really overrated right now...he is a product of that Michigan scheme and the amount of talent they have as a unit upfront but I don't see any great individual on that line.

47 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Wypler getting some hype lately on podcasts and twitter.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

I think Wypler can be a plug and play C from day one which is massively important for us this offseason

I think rookie Centers that are truly “plug and play” are few and far between. Could he play this year? Yes but I don’t think he is going to be all that much of an upgrade right away than Patrick or Whitehair would be. There is just so much to learn on top of the power/strength jump. JMS might be that type of guy, but that’s really the only one I see in this draft

I also don’t actually think that is all that important for this year. I don’t think anything is all that important this year. Yes that would be nice, but it’s about finding the best for 2024-2025 and beyond as cornerstones of this roster. 

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Olu who I think is being really overrated right now...he is a product of that Michigan scheme and the amount of talent they have as a unit upfront but I don't see any great individual on that line.

Not really sure how you can make this claim about Oluwatimi, but completely ignore that about Wylper, who is completely surrounded by legitimate NFL talent. 

Oluwatimi was a sought after transfer because of how high a level he was at. He brought that line together, which if we were thinking immediate impact he would be just as good if not better than a guy like Wylper. He doesn’t have the highest ceiling as a draft pick, but he’s got a very impressive floor. 

Just now, StLunatic88 said:

I think rookie Centers that are truly “plug and play” are few and far between. Could he play this year? Yes but I don’t think he is going to be all that much of an upgrade right away than Patrick or Whitehair would be. There is just so much to learn on top of the power/strength jump. JMS might be that type of guy, but that’s really the only one I see in this draft

I also don’t actually think that is all that important for this year. I don’t think anything is all that important this year. Yes that would be nice, but it’s about finding the best for 2024-2025 and beyond as cornerstones of this roster. 

Not really sure how you can make this claim about Oluwatimi, but completely ignore that about Wylper, who is completely surrounded by legitimate NFL talent. 

Oluwatimi was a sought after transfer because of how high a level he was at. He brought that line together, which if we were thinking immediate impact he would be just as good if not better than a guy like Wylper. He doesn’t have the highest ceiling as a draft pick, but he’s got a very impressive floor. 

Yeah I would massively disagree with that statement...

And no one is ignoring it with Wypler...it is obvious that he has talent around him but IMO he still stands out on his own on plays...I just see no stand out traits in Olu at all...I don't see a guy who can become a long term starter...I do see that in the top 3 guys.