2023 NFL Draft Prospects

Madmike90

I think this is on the verge of being something that traditionally spooks the bears off a player. The only bears players with significant off the field issues in recent memory did it after the fact (Chicago cocaine Heisenberg and the Covid bailout frauder)

7 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Again, I dont think this actually impacts his draft stock for anyone.

Either you were already worried about his immaturity concerns, or youve looked into it and are ok with it. The only think he is guilty of here is speeding and Street Racing. And that is a bar that a whole lot of dudes in the NFL wouldnt pass.

His floor is still Seattle at #5

I agree here (I hope it was obvious that I was being facetious). 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

Thinking about it. Carter was said to have character concerns in December, then in January decides it’s a good idea to street race (while potentially drunk). I think I’m out on him. 

Yeah, its one of those things that bothers me a lot, when a player knows he's a top prospect, knows that all he has to do is perform well at the combine and stay out of trouble and then he's going to get the opportunity of a lifetime, and still makes a dumb move like this.  I probably wouldn't draft him either, unless he falls far.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Again, I dont think this actually impacts his draft stock for anyone.

Either you were already worried about his immaturity concerns, or youve looked into it and are ok with it. The only think he is guilty of here is speeding and Street Racing. And that is a bar that a whole lot of dudes in the NFL wouldnt pass.

His floor is still Seattle at #5

I tend to agree, but if the team were dead even on grades for he and Anderson and both were available it’d be naive to not think something like this may tip the scales for Poles too, especially since Anderson is understood to have impeccable character. That’s probably only an issue if we’re selecting a player at 1 or 2 though. 

32 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

Thinking about it. Carter was said to have character concerns in December, then in January decides it’s a good idea to street race (while potentially drunk). I think I’m out on him. 

Honestly, I think this is just being silly.

The guy was prepping for college games still, not his draft stock report.

Again, the "character concerns" we him being immature and not a vocal leader. Does this show his immaturity? Yes absolutely, but again that was known already. If you are going to take a kid off your draft board because he is being dumb (and lets be clear, thats all this is at this point, you might wat to watch the insinuation that he was drunk) then you are going to have an awfully small draft board

3 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

Honestly, all this means is that Poles will probably focus on signing a 3T in free agency and draft a DE or OL now. 

I think you guys are completely over reacting here. He isnt going to jail, he didnt commit some horrendous act (as far as we know so far). Im sure he is very much aware of the consequences of that night and, unless he is completely unremorseful of what happened, and the small role he was tangentially connected, then there is not really anything to worry about going forward. 

Again, those are conversations that we as fans will never get access to, but as much as we know, there isnt much there to be concerned with

6 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Again, the "character concerns" we him being immature and not a vocal leader. Does this show his immaturity? Yes absolutely, but again that was known already. If you are going to take a kid off your draft board because he is being dumb (and lets be clear, thats all this is at this point, you might wat to watch the insinuation that he was drunk) then you are going to have an awfully small draft board

How often do you see potential #1 draft picks do something like this, 3 months before the combine?  There is a reason its not common.  "Kids will be kids" doesn't fly here.

2 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I can't believe that I am saying this again, but I agree here as well. It is a very unfortunate event and my heart and thoughts go out to the families of the people that were lost in this very tragic event. That being said, this is absolutely nothing different than what occurs on damn near every college campus in this country almost on a daily basis. This was ridiculously stupid, but we are also looking at this from a mature adult point of view as oppose to from a college kid's perspective. Should there be consequences? Of course. The hope is, that he learns from it, and matures moving forward. I would still take a chance on him but I don't think the Bears will.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I think you guys are completely over reacting here. He isnt going to jail, he didnt commit some horrendous act (as far as we know so far). Im sure he is very much aware of the consequences of that night and, unless he is completely unremorseful of what happened, and the small role he was tangentially connected, then there is not really anything to worry about going forward. 

Again, those are conversations that we as fans will never get access to, but as much as we know, there isnt much there to be concerned with

No, I'm not saying that he should be taken off the draft board. Not at all. But we see this happen almost every year and it effects players draft stock. It simply does.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

How often do you see potential #1 draft picks do something like this, 3 months before the combine?  There is a reason its not common.  "Kids will be kids" doesn't fly here.

We have No idea how often this happens, the only reason why we are hearing about this is because the other person doing the racing fatally crashed.

If you have spent any time around a high major athletic program, crazy stuff goes on all the time with stars, and when they are 19-20-21 it absolutely is Kids will be Kids

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

The hope is, that he learns from it, and matures moving forward. I would still take a chance on him but I don't think the Bears will.

Yea. Im not saying the Bears will or wont at this piont. I think we dont have a real read on what Poles does in these type of satiations. I think many of you are coming from the history of the McCaskey's, but we dont truely know how involved they are at this poin? vs if they defer to Warren and Poles here. Im coming from the Rams who were Win at all costs after a decade of apathy.

What this does do, it makes it much more tolerable to miss out on top two Defensive Players. Anderson due to fit, Carter due to Immaturity.

I will be honest…as much as I feel sorry for the families of the kids that lost their lives this just doesn’t change my opinion of Carter at all…this isn’t someone hitting a woman or having countless drug issues that could lead to suspension…it’s a young guy racing his friends…can any of us honestly say we have never broken a speed limit or raced against our buddies when we were younger? (or truth be told still now) horrible situation no doubt…but if he was there at #4 (or even #2) for me…I would be doing backflips at getting him.

• Like 2