Around the league Talk 2022-23

KingTitan

22 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Just to finish this thought. I don’t even know if Jordan Love is bad. He’s just the worst version of a lottery ticket. An unproven QB one year away from free agency where you barely get to capitalize on the QB on a rookie contract and then trap yourself into either letting him walk for nothing or making a massive financial commitment based on one year of play.

You could argue that he could be tagged, but in 2024, that’s probably $50 million. I suppose you could always pick up his option and hope that our OL doesn’t get him killed to the point that it becomes guaranteed.

To your first post … Rodgers won back to back mvp in 20+21. How can you blame a franchise for wanting to stick with and pay that guy? He had a rough year this last season, but reality is Rodgers salary is gonna be tough for a lot of other teams to want to deal with, so packers might just be stuck. But insinuating that GB sticking with Rodgers is an indictment on Love doesn’t really make sense to me given his elite play for the overwhelming majority of Loves time in gb

A mid round pick for Love just makes sense. Nobody knows if he’s good or not. Tanny isn’t taking us anywhere. Why not save $$ right now, invest it elsewhere on the team, stick at 11 and not break the band to trade up (unless we adore a guy and have an opp to get him) and see how a guy like Love (with three years of at minimum solid offensive/qb coaching and a good athletic make-up) can fare?

is a third/fourth pick, even if it’s for just one year, not worth the money you can spend elsewhere from cutting Tanny?

3 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

To your first post … Rodgers won back to back mvp in 20+21. How can you blame a franchise for wanting to stick with and pay that guy? He had a rough year this last season, but reality is Rodgers salary is gonna be tough for a lot of other teams to want to deal with, so packers might just be stuck. But insinuating that GB sticking with Rodgers is an indictment on Love doesn’t really make sense to me given his elite play for the overwhelming majority of Loves time in gb

A mid round pick for Love just makes sense. Nobody knows if he’s good or not. Tanny isn’t taking us anywhere. Why not save $$ right now, invest it elsewhere on the team, stick at 11 and not break the band to trade up (unless we adore a guy and have an opp to get him) and see how a guy like Love (with three years of at minimum solid offensive/qb coaching and a good athletic make-up) can fare?

is a third/fourth pick, even if it’s for just one year, not worth the money you can spend elsewhere from cutting Tanny?

Just to answer the final question first, nah, not really to me. Because you can easily kick most of Ryan’s salary to 2024 and it’s still going to cost you way less than tagging Love would if he plays well. 

The issue with Rodgers is that he wanted out and the Packers crawled on their hands and knees with a blank check in their hands begging him to come back. That’s not the move of a team that thinks they might have a 23-year-old potential franchise QB on their roster. That’s a team that was desperately trying to keep a closing window open and didn’t think Love could do it. I’m sure they regret not just cashing out on Rodgers now though.

Mostly, I think I’ve watched every professional snap of the guy’s career and just don’t see it. I certainly don’t see special potential. My honest ceiling (and I say this genuinely based on his skillset/arm talent/mobility) for him is Ryan Tannehill. I’m not chasing a mid QB on an expiring contract. It just has no upside, the entire point of getting a young QB is to have years of cap flexibility to build around them.

1 hour ago, titans0021 said:

I’m fine with trading almost nothing for Jordan Love to take on the role of tank commander. Because bringing that guy into our offensive situation will be a fun ride to 4-13 or 5-12.

But no way I’d ever consider trading actual assets for a guy that looked terrible in his only meaningful regular season action, bad in his third preseason and showed enough that his franchise was willing to commit $50 million a year to their starting QB that’s about to hit 40 and seems to be permanently craving attention and controversy.

He looked good when he played this year.

1 hour ago, titans0021 said:

Just to finish this thought. I don’t even know if Jordan Love is bad. He’s just the worst version of a lottery ticket. An unproven QB one year away from free agency where you barely get to capitalize on the QB on a rookie contract and then trap yourself into either letting him walk for nothing or making a massive financial commitment based on one year of play.

You could argue that he could be tagged, but in 2024, that’s probably $50 million. I suppose you could always pick up his option and hope that our OL doesn’t get him killed to the point that it becomes guaranteed.

His number wouldn't be that high. It'd be closer to $35 million. Still high, but not as crazy.

1 hour ago, deeluxx3 said:

I'm with ya.

We have to start the motion in trying to find a QB that we can reasonably bank on. 

The process really does need to start now in my opinion. Sell the farm to get one of the top 2, throw mid against the wall with Lance or Love or something like that to see if you got something. 

It's just my opinion that sticking with Tannehill will gain nothing more than a playoff berth and a wild card win at most. 

We've seen the best of him and it got us to the afc championship on a wild ride of Henry and timing. 

That version of the Titans are dead. 

Either try to find a gem in the bargain bin or mortgage the future for one. Sitting and hoping that one just magically falls in the lap is not the way. 

1 hour ago, seminoles1 said:

He looked good when he played this year.

I mean, he threw 9 non-garbage time passes this year.

1 hour ago, seminoles1 said:

His number wouldn't be that high. It'd be closer to $35 million. Still high, but not as crazy.

You mean the option or franchise tag? Because yeah, the option wouldn’t be as insane, but you’re also fully guaranteeing that 2024 money now. Which would almost be more insane?

And I’m fine if we want to move off Tannehill. I don’t think we will, but I get the argument for it. But I either need a lottery ticket with team control, a draft pick or we say screw it and send Willis out there. I have no interest in the aging options that shouldn’t want to come here anyways and I have no interest in just going with a different mid QB that we have to give up assets for.

• Like 1

Another year, another offseason where the QB decision is going to be a major point of discussion. No matter who the future QB is, we either need to get an great/elite offensive mind at OC(a Reid or Shanahan type), great/elite talent around him or both. All the great, young QBs everyone harps about had either or both those things happen for them.

Allen wasn’t Allen until they added Diggs. Burrow took off once Chase was added to an already good pass catching group. Mahomes was groomed under Reid, plus had Kelce and Hill. See Lawrence this year under Dougy P. Hurts with AJ added and an elite OL. I can go on and on with current and historic examples.

It’s kinda why I’d be ok with Tannehill for another year, while we continue to build up our offense for whoever is our future (franchise🙏) QB. Also why I’m still not completely out on Willis because he had the misfortune of having neither an great/elite offensive mind or great/elite talent around him when he played. You put a raw, project at QB in with a bad OC and underwhelming talent around him, what do you expect?

So, let’s say Love doesn’t suck. Why would he only cost a midrounder?

Aaron Rodgers just had the worst year of his career, and there’s still a year on Love’s rookie deal. A midrounder isn’t much to get if you think your backup QB could be a starter and your diva QB is heading downhill.

Better to keep him, and if Rodgers struggles, you bench him and play Love so that someone pays you way more than a mid rounder to trade him. Or someone offers a bunch for Rodgers and you move forward with Love. Both of which are way, way better fir your team than a middle round draft pick.

Or he could just still suck.

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

So, let’s say Love doesn’t suck. Why would he only cost a midrounder?

Aaron Rodgers just had the worst year of his career, and there’s still a year on Love’s rookie deal. A midrounder isn’t much to get if you think your backup QB could be a starter and your diva QB is heading downhill.

Better to keep him, and if Rodgers struggles, you bench him and play Love so that someone pays you way more than a mid rounder to trade him. Or someone offers a bunch for Rodgers and you move forward with Love. Both of which are way, way better fir your team than a middle round draft pick.

Or he could just still suck.

Because of the cost. Rodgers' contract makes it borderline impossible to move on from him and close to impossible to keep both.

The cost only matters when It doesn't work out. 

I don't think many are worried at the moment how much it cost to send McCaffrey to SF.  

Just have the right person make the right decision. Lol 

The pick will be missed when draft time comes and it's no "fun.". However then you remember you either got a ring or you got tremendous production. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

The cost only matters whe. It doesn't work out. 

I don't think many are worried at the moment how much it cost to send McCaffrey to SF.  

Just have the right person make the right decision. Lol 

The pick will be missed when draft time comes and it's no "fun.". However then you remember you either got a ring or you got tremendous production. 

This. 100. I don't know what the exact answer is, non of us do. All I can hope is we are just aggressive enough if we see a guy in sight that we think can get us that Lombardi.

What Ran really thinks about Ryan is going to be huge. Also what Vrabel thinks about Ryan at this point. It seems like they are going to be attacking this 50/50. My thing is I think no matter what Vrabel has a certain amount of wins in him per year, similar to Mike Tomlin. Don't think we would ever reach a top 5 pick with Vrabes, maybe, but I ain't banking on it. 

I go back and fourth, but I think seeing Ran come in, I feel like we see Ryan get traded or cut. Just a feeling. I think both Vrabel and Ran can appreciate Ryan but understand it is time to evolve. I appreciate Ryan as well, but I just don't think his situation combined with ours is something that ends up being better than it has the last 3 seasons.

Ryan Tannehill was better on one ankle than Jordan Love will ever be in his career. He was bad in college and didn't get better when the competition got stronger. There are plenty of bad QBs we could draft that aren't about due for a new contract. Why waste actual assets on one?

Next topic.

• Like 1