The AFC South is an interesting division - NOT a yawner

notthatbluestuff

1 minute ago, coffeedrinker said:

I made a joke to my son when AI saw the Titans lost, I said it's really sad at 0-0-1 the Colts and Texans are tied for the division lead.  Has to be the first time EVER a team has lead their division without winning  a game.

Truly sad.  I'm a Colts fan and I think the Colts will win the division despite Reich as their HC.  I do think Ryan will be way better than Wentz because I think Ryan is more of a professional.

Titans couldn’t even beat the Giants and they travel to Buffalo next. That’s 0-2. Meanwhile the Texans go to Denver. Colts have a chance to start building a lead in the division if they can go to Jacksonville and win… not that that’s guaranteed by any stretch.

• Like 1

The division is just so bad. 

The team most expected to win it was getting routed by arguably the least talented team in the division before turning it into a tie. The other two teams lost to teams I’d argue aren’t very good either.

Think my prediction on the team taking the division winning 9 games is likely. May even end up being under .500 (the tie for Indy may allow for a 8-8-1 situation though).

23 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

The division is just so bad. 

The team most expected to win it was getting routed by arguably the least talented team in the division before turning it into a tie. The other two teams lost to teams I’d argue aren’t very good either.

Think my prediction on the team taking the division winning 9 games is likely. May even end up being under .500 (the tie for Indy may allow for a 8-8-1 situation though).

If the Colts can win 9 games they likely are guaranteed a playoff spot at 9-7-1

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FrantikRam said:

I think this says it all....

The most interesting thing about the AFC South is waiting to see if Lawrence is going to be one of the bigger busts in league history

He’s dropping 3 TD’s and 0 INT’s against the Colts.

Could have easily thrown 4 TD’s yesterday.

His biggest issue right now is the RZ.

The division is better than people think and not as good as people think.
Colts aren't on a magical ride to the Super Bowl because of Matt Ryan addition.
Jags aren't going to be historically bad because they are the Jags, they on the path to be in the middle of the pack of the NFL (where most times reside).
Texans aren't doormats. Davis Mills had a good game yesterday. Again could end up in that middle of pack.
Titans aren't #1 seed, but aren't dumpster juice. 2 blown defensive assignments cost them a great defensive game and questionable playcalls. 

Who wins division? Likely Titans or Colts. Decided by a game or something like that. 
Jags and Texans apply major heat but don't get over the hump quite yet. 

51 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Titans couldn’t even beat the Giants and they travel to Buffalo next. That’s 0-2. Meanwhile the Texans go to Denver. Colts have a chance to start building a lead in the division if they can go to Jacksonville and win… not that that’s guaranteed by any stretch.

If you follow the Titans closely, you'll see that's quite "Titan like of them." 
Beat Bills, Rams, Chiefs..yada yada.
Then lose to a winless Texans team or get blown out by the Cards. 

It is only one game and the first game. Don't bury them yet. Like most NFL teams and games, there were about 3-4 plays that could have made this a blow out in the Titans favor. Didn't happen and they lost. 

Just now, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

I just don’t see any QBs in that division you can get fired up about

I think you can get fired up about any/all of them at any given time, but next to none of them in a positive manner.

You have Ryan Tannehill who aspires to be Alex Smith 2.0

You have the Ghost of Matt Ryan's right arm.

You have the Texans with Davis Mills who is just good enough to give you hope, just average enough to cost you a Top pick/Top 3 pick and your future QBOTF, and just bad enough to be bad.

And you have Trevor Lawrence who has a dumpster fire around him and who so far has been extremely disappointing.

• Like 1

Just now, KingTitan said:

If you follow the Titans closely, you'll see that's quite "Titan like of them." 
Beat Bills, Rams, Chiefs..yada yada.
Then lose to a winless Texans team or get blown out by the Cards. 

It is only one game and the first game. Don't bury them yet. Like most NFL teams and games, there were about 3-4 plays that could have made this a blow out in the Titans favor. Didn't happen and they lost. 

My issue is the roster with Tennessee. Tanny already has his limitations and they jettisoned one of the best WRs in football/WR1 and then lost their best edge rusher for the year last week.

Could definitely see them winning the division still, but that just doesn’t mean much given it’s state imo. There’s no one with more than a top 12-15 QB on its roster and there’s questions somewhere along the roster of all of them.

Just now, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

I just don’t see any QBs in that division you can get fired up about

Not a single one.
Mills had a good game. 
Tannehill had a good game.
Matt Ryan had a good game after getting going.
Lawrence had looked to have an "eh" game just looking at stats (others who watched could provide better details).

QBs that can win, but not consistently carry. 

It will come down to coaching and roster. 
Colts and Titans have the "best rosters", but can they get out their own way to win. 

3 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Not a single one.
Mills had a good game. 
Tannehill had a good game.
Matt Ryan had a good game after getting going.
Lawrence had looked to have an "eh" game just looking at stats (others who watched could provide better details).

QBs that can win, but not consistently carry. 

It will come down to coaching and roster. 
Colts and Titans have the "best rosters", but can they get out their own way to win. 

Eh game would be accurate. He was way too streaky yesterday.

Had 3 bad misses (two of which in the red zone) that pretty much tell the tale of the game. He just starts way too slow. Something needs to change with that. 

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

My issue is the roster with Tennessee. Tanny already has his limitations and they jettisoned one of the best WRs in football/WR1 and then lost their best edge rusher for the year last week.

Could definitely see them winning the division still, but that just doesn’t mean much given it’s state imo. There’s no one with more than a top 12-15 QB on its roster and there’s questions somewhere along the roster of all of them.

The thing about our offense is we don't deserve a WR1 really. Sounds crazy but let me explain. 
AJ got what 13 targets yesterday?  It would have taken him 2 maybe 3 games to get that many in the Titans offense.  We have a real complex. 
Yes a #1 WR would be great and do so much for the offense, but with the way we play and throw, we wouldn't use him right.
Tanny had a good game outside of 2 missed throws?  His catchers dropped 3 or 4 crucial 3rd down catches (which kind of goes against not needing a #1 WR lol ), so statistically he could have been better. 

And losing Landry sucks but Weaver his replacement had 2 sacks yesterday, a couple TFLs and tons of pressure.  Dupree had a couple sacks, Simmons had a couple sacks.  Our pass rush wasn't the problem.  It was the run defense.  Let two big runs happen  and those changed the game. 

But yeah. if anyone wants to watch some elite QB play, don't watch the AFC South. lol

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

And you have Trevor Lawrence who has a dumpster fire around him and who so far has been extremely disappointing.

How long do we have to keep saying he has a dumpster fire around him? Meyer is gone, they added a bunch of (overpaid) weapons, Etienne is there, made some o-line changes, bluechip talent on defense... serious question, when do we stop using the "he has no help around him" argument for Lawrence?