The AFC South is an interesting division - NOT a yawner

notthatbluestuff

4 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

By contrast, Houston is (for now) building around pieces that are wild cards. They brought in a stabilizer HC of their own. They really don't seem to have gone on a shopping spree. 

I think people are forgetting this - the Texans are going for a full "rip it from the roots" rebuild, tearing everything down from the BOB era and starting fresh. 

As of now, there are only four starters who remain from the BOB era - Laremy Tunsil, Tytus Howard, Brandin Cooks (who only started four games under BOB) and Jon Greenard. I'm of the mindset that there will only be three next season (I'm betting Tunsil is moved for assets, Howard is extended and moved from RT to LT). Nick Caserio is more or less the architect of this rebuild and is actually locating gems in the draft and supplementing those pieces with low cost vets who are less impact players and more "hey young guys, let me show you how to prep for the week" mentors.

Caserio knows his team is being built through the draft - and with a war chest full of premium picks, there isn't a player that he can't get. Realistically, if Caserio felt as if Will Anderson is the pick at 1.1, he could draft him... Then use the Cleveland picks to get to 1.2 to draft CJ Stroud (if he really liked him, that is). There is no combination of players he can't get if he wants - but he also understands value of the picks he has, so I don't expect such rash moves from him (he's moving around on the board, though).

Lovie Smith with a lukewarm hire, and I think he's good for a year - not that he's going to get fired, but moreso he's going to graduate to the old Romeo Crennel Special Advisor role in the organization - next season, expect Josh McCown to finally get that HC gig this team has been trying to get him. He'll get guys like Pep Hamilton as the OC and current LB coach Miles Smith (Lovie's son) as DC, and he'll have both Lovie and Caserio on the headset, giving him tactical information and in-game advice. 

Will it work? I sincerely don't know. But it'll be interesting.

Texans' defense looked nuts in this game for a while there, full credit to them - and Davis Mills for taking advantage of the turnovers. It all ends in a tie. Now that's the AFC South for you, full of curveballs. You never know what's going to happen in this wacky, entertaining division.

Except for the Jags blowing it and losing - that's something anyone could've seen coming. Lawrence threw a game-ending pick. However, I will show civility and refrain from criticizing him at this early stage of the season. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

I made a joke to my son when AI saw the Titans lost, I said it's really sad at 0-0-1 the Colts and Texans are tied for the division lead.  Has to be the first time EVER a team has lead their division without winning  a game.

Truly sad.  I'm a Colts fan and I think the Colts will win the division despite Reich as their HC.  I do think Ryan will be way better than Wentz because I think Ryan is more of a professional.