2023 NFL draft thread

Forge

3 hours ago, 49erscap said:

Another 7 round mock, Matt Miller of ESPN.

99- S Ji'Ayir Brown, Penn State

101- OT Carter Warren, Pittsburgh

102- TE Brenton Strange, Penn State

155- DE Lonnie Phelps, Kansas

164- ILB Owen Pappoe, Auburn

173- WR Andrei Isoivas, Princeton

216- FB Hunter Luepke, North Dakota State

222- WR Puka Nacua, BYU

247- CB Isaiah Bolden, Jackson State

253- C Alan Ali, TCU

255- S Trevon Flowers, Tennessee

Don't much care for the Brown selection. I actually like Warren, particularly as a pass protector, but I don't think the niners would like him enough to select him here. I don't think they'll like his run blocking enough. The rest of this is solid with some really nice selections. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

Starting to see him mocked to us on a lot of mocks this week.

It's the super easy fit for most people because we are the most notorious for actually using the fullback. Its really more or less a wasted pick though because we aren't going to carry 2 fullbacks and juice isn't going anywhere. They'd have to feel comfortable with him as a 3rd or 4th TE in order for us to take him, imo. Taking him at 155 like Rueter had him would be awful. 216 is more or less fine, though in preference I would take him in the 7th just because I know it's likely he's going to the practice squad at best. 

I do think that a team like Houston may "reach" on him in the 5th or 6th if Slowik is committed to the Shanny offense the way Kyle runs it (which is no guarantee) 

• Like 2

Another tight end who has been hurt by the medical evaluation is Iowa's Sam LaPorta. LaPorta is a sleeper prospect who a lot of teams really loved. In speaking to sources at multiple teams, they said the medical report was not bad enough to get LaPorta dropped off their board. However, it was not clean ,and it would be the reason if LaPorta slides into the middle or back half of the second round during the 2023 NFL Draft.

12 minutes ago, Forge said:

Another tight end who has been hurt by the medical evaluation is Iowa's Sam LaPorta. LaPorta is a sleeper prospect who a lot of teams really loved. In speaking to sources at multiple teams, they said the medical report was not bad enough to get LaPorta dropped off their board. However, it was not clean ,and it would be the reason if LaPorta slides into the middle or back half of the second round during the 2023 NFL Draft.

Thought that was his range anyway

Barrows / Lombardi dueling mock draft

#99 - Freeland (fine) / DJ Johnson (Wooooooooooooof)

#101 - TE Brenton Strange (fine) / Roschon Johnson (lol, we know it's going to happen )

#102 - EDGE Yaya Diaby (fine) / OL Braeden Daniels (I guess its fine given the gap between this pick and  the next one)

#155 - DL Viliami Fehoko (fine) / LB Marte Mapu (fine)

#164 - WR Demario Douglas (n/a - don't know him) / S Daniel Scott (fine)

#173 - CB Rejzohn Wright (fine) / TE Camerron Latu (fine)

#216 - QB DTR (fine) / OT Earl Bostic 

#222 - WR Dontayvion Wicks (no need to double dip WR late from Barrows) / QB Max Duggan (ew)

#247 - S Jordan Howden  / DT Dante Stills (both decent picks)

#253 - OT Jake Witt (good) / DT Shakel Brown (solid)

#255 - K Anders Carlson (ew) / TE Ben Sims (whatever) 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Forge said:

This makes it sound like he was viewed as a first round pick, but now is sliding into the middle of the second due to medical concerns. The media sees him as 2nd-3rd round prospect. Clearly, the NFL values him more than the media does. 

Trading up for him might be out of our reach, unless we're willing to package 2 of our 3's and a 5th as well. Seems a little too rich. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Barrows / Lombardi dueling mock draft

#99 - Freeland (fine) / DJ Johnson (Wooooooooooooof)

#101 - TE Brenton Strange (fine) / Roschon Johnson (lol, we know it's going to happen )

#102 - EDGE Yaya Diaby (fine) / OL Braeden Daniels (I guess its fine given the gap between this pick and  the next one)

#155 - DL Viliami Fehoko (fine) / LB Marte Mapu (fine)

#164 - WR Demario Douglas (n/a - don't know him) / S Daniel Scott (fine)

#173 - CB Rejzohn Wright (fine) / TE Camerron Latu (fine)

#216 - QB DTR (fine) / OT Earl Bostic 

#222 - WR Dontayvion Wicks (no need to double dip WR late from Barrows) / QB Max Duggan (ew)

#247 - S Jordan Howden  / DT Dante Stills (both decent picks)

#253 - OT Jake Witt (good) / DT Shakel Brown (solid)

#255 - K Anders Carlson (ew) / TE Ben Sims (whatever) 

Freeland, Strange AND Fehoko? The draft on the left is the one I want--Barrows picks? 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Freeland, Strange AND Fehoko? The draft on the left is the one I want--Barrows picks? 

Yes, the ones on the left are Barrows. 

The article was set up weird where they basically did a snake draft thing so it went back and forth, but I think i copied them all over correctly lol 

• Like 1

The more I look at the big boards, the less interested I am in trading up. 

I think if we were to trade up, Sam LaPorta would still be my top choice. I'm interested in Anton Harrison and Matt Bergeron at tackle, but would we be better served with just keeping our 3rds and drafting Steen, Saldiveri, or Daniels?

I don't think I love any other prospects enough to trade up for.

47 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

The more I look at the big boards, the less interested I am in trading up. 

I think if we were to trade up, Sam LaPorta would still be my top choice. I'm interested in Anton Harrison and Matt Bergeron at tackle, but would we be better served with just keeping our 3rds and drafting Steen, Saldiveri, or Daniels?

I don't think I love any other prospects enough to trade up for.

I don't have any real interest in moving up big time, though I will say that the mock I got aggressive in worked out well. 

But I generally agree with @JIllg that the only thing I'd really be looking at doing is a "bunny hop". Move up like 10 picks in the third to get a guy who may be falling and you really like. But I have no real interesting in moving multiple third round picks to go way up in the third or the bottom of the second. 

51 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't have any real interest in moving up big time, though I will say that the mock I got aggressive in worked out well. 

But I generally agree with @JIllg that the only thing I'd really be looking at doing is a "bunny hop". Move up like 10 picks in the third to get a guy who may be falling and you really like. But I have no real interesting in moving multiple third round picks to go way up in the third or the bottom of the second. 

Yeah I'm kind of at the point where I think staying put in the 3rd with all three picks and seeing what comes to us and then maybe taking one of the 5ths and moving up into the 4th to get a guy we like who fell out of the 3rd. 

Like, if we took Brenton Strange, YaYa Diaby, and Tyler Steen in the 3rd, and then moved up into the 4th to take someone like Mapu or Jammie Robinson, I'd consider that one heck of a draft for us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Need some information here. I was still a pup in 2000 but what were the reason(s) for us trading down from #3 that year? 

Damn, I forget, might have been the salary cap, back in 2000, and the early 2000s our cap was a mess, like cap hell. That may have been a reason, we simply couldn't afford the #3 pick, seeing as there was no rookie scale back then.

• Like 1