Wide Receiver Outlook

MacReady

I continue to believe that the 7 vs 6 WR, even after Jones comes back, is not a matter of "can", it's a matter of "want".  They certainly "can" if they want to. And it won't be that hard. 

• If I look at people's 53-man roster projections, I routinely see projections including 7 WR, and not only 7 WR, but also 3 QB and 9 OL. 
  • OK, that's with only the 2 RB, which may not sustain once Jones is back.  But even so.....
  • You may love Hundley so much that you want to keep him; OK.  But that's a want, not a "must".  Kizer may be as good or better anyway, by the time either one is needed.  And if not, I'm not sure the extra value that Hundley has over Kizer will make any relevant difference?  And how often does the 3rd QB play?  
  • Do you love Byron Bell as a 9th OL, and both Spriggs and Murphy and Patrick or whomever?  OK, that's a want, but it's not really a "must". 
  • If you go some weeks with only one healthy-inactive O-lineman instead of 2, it's not the end of the world.  The commitment to use two healthy-inactive spots on inactive linemen every week is a want, not a must.  
  • Do you need to have 4 ILB?  Want, not a must.  Very limited snaps with two ILB on the field.  And if we're so injured at ILB that we'd need to be playing ILB #4, would MM and Pettine even use that guy?  Or wouldn't they basically end up using packages with safeties and OLB filling in anyway?  
  • Will the OLB function be severely compromised if Donnerson or Biegel were shorted?  Do you really need 6?  
  • Is Looney going to actually get snaps in the DT rotation?  Is he going to play any more DT snaps than EQ or Moore will play at WR?  
  • Note:  I'm not saying that keeping the 7th WR is what they should do.  That's a scouting eval.  Maybe Bouagnain is a better prospect that EQ?  Or maybe Looney is just a better value than Moore?  Maybe you'd rather have Tonyan, even if that means goodbye to Davis.  Maybe you see all three of Biegel, Donnerson, and Fackrel as being more valuable NFL guys than Kumerow is or ever will be?  I'm just saying they can keep whoever they like better.  But 7 wides isn't that tough, if you like the guys.  

39 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Better question who is the 4th at this point? EQ or MVS?

Good post and I think its more instructive to think about these guys in terms of roles instead 1,2,3,4.
EQ has been practicing in the slot and can run a fuller route tree per the earlier comments  - while EVS is more of an outside burner. So if Allison or Adams needs a breather- EVS might get the call whereas if Cobb busts a chinstrap, EQ might get the nod.

11 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Good post and I think its more instructive to think about these guys in terms of roles instead 1,2,3,4.
EQ has been practicing in the slot and can run a fuller route tree per the earlier comments  - while EVS is more of an outside burner. So if Allison or Adams needs a breather- EVS might get the call whereas if Cobb busts a chinstrap, EQ might get the nod.

I agree.  It may come down to matchups as well.  Who is playing on defense, and which guy matches up better that day.

I think we get to caught up in assigning a formal pecking order.

14 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

If he makes the team, I fully expect Kumerow to be next WR to see the field after the top 3.

1 hour ago, TheBitzMan said:

....Really hope they don't cut ESB, he won't make it to the PS. 

**IF** they did cut ESB, and *IF* he did make it to PS, I wonder if that wouldn't be a really good thing for him?  If a guy perhaps suffers a bit from a sense of entitlement, only to then get both waived and go unclaimed, I wonder if that might not really amp up the motivation?  That's totally hypothetical, I realize....

2 minutes ago, craig said:

**IF** they did cut ESB, and *IF* he did make it to PS, I wonder if that wouldn't be a really good thing for him?  If a guy perhaps suffers a bit from a sense of entitlement, only to then get both waived and go unclaimed, I wonder if that might not really amp up the motivation?  That's totally hypothetical, I realize....

Definitely could help for sure. Although I haven't heard any negatives about his personality during camp, only prior to the draft. Falling to the 6th round is a wake up call in its self. 

13 minutes ago, craig said:

Thats a alot of "IF's" Craig.

Does he feel "entitled?"

Does he appear "unmotivated?"

You seeing evidence of these traits in his play?

Based on what you're seeing....does he need to be taken down a peg?

Just now, Joe said:

McCarthy talks up a lot of players he then cuts. I suspect they stash Davis on IR at some point and possibly WITH Kumerow.

TT made those cuts. Gute is in charge now and he has been talking up Davis as well. Along with MM and Zook he seems to be on their good side. I think Davis has value as a returner and punt gunner. Is that more valuable than developing a WR? That is what they have to figure out...

26 minutes ago, TheBitzMan said:

TT made those cuts. Gute is in charge now and he has been talking up Davis as well. Along with MM and Zook he seems to be on their good side. I think Davis has value as a returner and punt gunner. Is that more valuable than developing a WR? That is what they have to figure out...

No, no it's not in this case. We can always find a gunner and MVS has had some success returning punts and kicks.

Archived