Wide Receiver Outlook

MacReady

9 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

The Moderators don't seem to have a problem with how I express my opinions. 

Did you actually read what I wrote?

This has nothing to do with the mods, and I don't know how anyone could've possibly interpreted my response that way. 

I was trying to be nice, and give you a heads up that people won't take you seriously when you repeatedly restate nonsense, so then you veer off on some inane tangent about the mods? 

Well okay. 

8 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I am, too, but I don't think that's going to be a problem anymore.  For 7 years since the Super Bowl win, Capers had been putting players in positions they physically or mentally weren't capable of succeeding in.  We don't have that problem anymore. 

We're three injuries away from running out a back 7 of Brice-Jones-King-Alexander-Jackson and Thomas-Burks.

There is no guarantee that we're going to see a defense this year where everybody is ready to play. 

I understand the bad luck necessary to make that happen, but we've suffered worse injuries than that in the past 3 seasons on defense. I'm not saying that is likely to happen, but if we hit the same patch of rough waters, this team isn't so deep as to be able to shrug it off.  

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

We're three injuries away from running out a back 7 of Brice-Jones-King-Alexander-Jackson and Thomas-Burks.

There is no guarantee that we're going to see a defense this year where everybody is ready to play. 

I understand the bad luck necessary to make that happen, but we've suffered worse injuries than that in the past 3 seasons on defense. I'm not saying that is likely to happen, but if we hit the same patch of rough waters, this team isn't so deep as to be able to shrug it off.  

I still think Petrine is better equipped to handle injuries to his scheme than Capers was, so even if we get screwed with injuries, I believe our defense this year will be considerably better than what we've had the past two years.

8 hours ago, TransientTexan said:

I also to forgot to add that in relation to the HHCD case, I looked at a similar case when the Patriots traded Chandler Jones to Arizona in his 5th-yr, and Spotrac didn't show any dead money for Jones on the Patriots' 2016 cap, so that might be more evidence that the money would transfer teams.

A trade has the exact same impact as cutting a player on your cap. 

Every dollar of HHCD's player option is guaranteed. There is no cap savings to trading HHCD. 

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

I still think Petrine is better equipped to handle injuries to his scheme than Capers was, so even if we get screwed with injuries, I believe our defense this year will be considerably better than what we've had the past two years.

I don't disagree. But there's only so many scrubs you can hide no matter what scheme you run. 

23 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

A trade has the exact same impact as cutting a player on your cap. 

Every dollar of HHCD's player option is guaranteed. There is no cap savings to trading HHCD. 

I'm pretty sure that's not true.  The only part that goes against the cap is any signing bonus, and given that HHCD's 5th year option includes no signing bonus, the Packers wouldn't on the book for any of HHCD's salary.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I'm pretty sure that's not true.  The only part that goes against the cap is any signing bonus, and given that HHCD's 5th year option includes no signing bonus, the Packers wouldn't on the book for any of HHCD's salary.

I was under the impression that all guaranteed money was accelerated onto the cap in the event of a trade. Usually the signing bonus is the only guaranteed money, but in the case of the 5th year option, the entire salary is guaranteed.

I know for a fact his salary is guaranteed against, "skill, cap, or injury" in the CBA. I don't know if there's an exception for that guaranteed money.

Though I suppose it would make sense for the team getting the player to have to pay his salary, you wouldn't get to trade for him and have no impact on your cap I would think?

There would have to be some sort of 100% offset language in the contract????

55 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I was under the impression that all guaranteed money was accelerated onto the cap in the event of a trade.

I believe that's only the case for signing bonus as noted by Sea-Wood

If you follow this link to OTC, you can click on a "post-June 1st trade/cut"  and see that the new team eats the guaranteed salary while GB realizes the savings

https://overthecap.com/player/ha-ha-clinton-dix/2960/

8 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I was under the impression that all guaranteed money was accelerated onto the cap in the event of a trade. Usually the signing bonus is the only guaranteed money, but in the case of the 5th year option, the entire salary is guaranteed.

I know for a fact his salary is guaranteed against, "skill, cap, or injury" in the CBA. I don't know if there's an exception for that guaranteed money.

Though I suppose it would make sense for the team getting the player to have to pay his salary, you wouldn't get to trade for him and have no impact on your cap I would think?

There would have to be some sort of 100% offset language in the contract????

I believe in the case of a trade the accelerated cap hit is that of the money already paid to the player but not accounted for in the cap. Usually that is just the signing bonus but if you've already paid a roster bonus (at the beginning of camp or whenever) before you trade the player, that is obviously against your cap too.

I think it's easier to visualize if you just see it as if you're trading the contract (which you are). The new team will pay the remaining salary to the player but the cap hit must match the money paid, so the difference between what you paid and the cap hit you've accrued so far is accelerated instantly to this year's cap. That way both the original team and the destination team will have matching cap hit / salary paid.

When you cut a player you are sort of "denying" him of the contract he signed, that's why you must also pay him any future guarantees and account for those under your cap. A team can then choose to claim him off waivers and will inherit the remaining part of that contract, which is why Bennett was such a bargain for the Patriots last year. Most of his year 1 cash was the signing bonus - they only had to pay the prorated part of his base salary, which was 900k for the year (maybe some workout bonus or something too, but they were minimal). There were no guarantees for future years so it was an easy cut after that.

8 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

I believe that's only the case for signing bonus as noted by Sea-Wood

If you follow this link to OTC, you can click on a "post-June 1st trade/cut"  and see that the new team eats the guaranteed salary while GB realizes the savings

https://overthecap.com/player/ha-ha-clinton-dix/2960/

You're right, didn't know that. 

18 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I am, too, but I don't think that's going to be a problem anymore.  For 7 years since the Super Bowl win, Capers had been putting players in positions they physically or mentally weren't capable of succeeding in.  We don't have that problem anymore. 

I think we got off on the wrong foot...  

Lol... I've been saying this ever since he had Mike Daniels playing 2 gaps.  

11 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I dare say you can guarantee we won't. 

Archived